US suspends Microsoft, major IT firms from key green card programme

ghazi52

THINK TANK: CONSULTANT
Joined
Mar 21, 2007
Messages
162,894
Reaction score
211,935
Reputation
9,926.2
Country of Origin
Country of Residence

US suspends Microsoft, major IT firms from key green card programme​


US to suspend Cognizant, Infosys, Tata, Wipro, HCL and Capgemini from key green card programme

Reuters
October 08, 2026


us vice president jd vance makes an h 1b fraud announcement flanked by white house deputy chief of staff stephen miller attorney general todd blanche labor secretary keith e sonderling chairman of the federal trade commission ftc andrew ferguson and inspector general for the department of labor anthony p d esposito during a press conference on anti fraud initiatives in the eisenhower executive office building on the white house campus in washington dc us october 8 2026 reuters


US Vice President JD Vance makes an H-1B fraud announcement, flanked by White House deputy chief of staff Stephen Miller, Attorney General Todd Blanche, Labor Secretary Keith E. Sonderling, Chairman of the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) Andrew Ferguson and Inspector General for the Department of Labor Anthony P D'Esposito during a press conference on anti-fraud initiatives in the Eisenhower Executive Office Building on the White House campus in Washington, DC, US, October 8, 2026. REUTERS

The US government is suspending Microsoft, Adobe and several large IT firms from a programme that allows skilled foreign workers to gain permanent residency, senior US officials announced on Thursday, citing alleged fraud and an effort to push companies to hire more Americans.

"Our message to Microsoft is: You're a great American company, but you've got to hire great American workers," US Vice President JD Vance said.

Secretary of Labor Keith Sonderling added that some of the largest IT firms in the world would also be suspended from the programme, including Cognizant, Infosys, Tata, Wipro, HCL and Capgemini.

"We will not accept any new or process any pending permanent labor certification applications involving these companies," Sonderling said.
 
Under the PERM process, employers seek certification from the Department of Labor that there is no qualified, willing or available US worker for a specific job. It is a step required before filing petitions for most employment-based green cards.

Vance also said nine universities, including Harvard, Yale and Stanford, would be investigated for allegedly bringing in international students to undercut American wages.

Labor Inspector General Anthony D'Esposito said subpoenas had already been served.

"We will investigate whether foreign influence, improper financial relationships, or visa abuse are compromising federally funded research," D'Esposito said.

"If an American university is breaking the law to save $1 while exposing American research to a foreign adversary, that is not academic excellence. It's institutional betrayal."

facebook twitter whatsup linkded email
 
It would help if the temps on h1b are sent back immediately(or deport) and american workers are hired back. If not, i dont know how this helps americans who were unfairly laid off....

The list of names is too small, needs expansion country-wide. Boot out all the h1b's and hire americans/locals who are PR or Citizens of America.
 
If Vance were to be the POTUS candidate in 2028 then I am likely to vote for him! And that's not because of the immigration/H1B issues.

This announcement by Vance would certainly help him.

I think we are going to see Trump handing off more stuff to Vance to take credit for.
 
The long, long, long train trip I took starting late August this year was exhausting and I am still lethargic and sleepy. But the time away from home, being solo for so many days and in so many places, allowed me the time to think of the options ahead. I am not hurting financially and could easily ride it out till I start getting my Social Security, on top of the Pension I am getting for nearly a year. Anyway, I came to the conclusion that I am barely in my early 60s and I still have a lot to contribute to the world. So I changed my LinkedIn profile to say I am Looking for a Job and surprisingly, so many leads.

Heck, it is possible I may get a good news about a job interview I did yesterday which, if happens, would be the highest compensation of my rather long career in the IT fields. And what Vance is saying can't hurt me. Thank you, Mr. Vance! America and Americans First!
 
If Vance were to be the POTUS candidate in 2028 then I am likely to vote for him! And that's not because of the immigration/H1B issues.
Vance is funded by tech bros like Palantir. He will never implement any policy that stops them from importing cheaper foreign talent, and H1b is that pipeline.

This is very much a Trumpian move. The IT industry has severely abused the H1b visa which was meant to address genuine shortages in the workforce only. Monopolizing and abusing the H1b is how millions of Indians moved to the US, kicking out millions of Americans from their IT jobs.
 
The long, long, long train trip I took starting late August this year was exhausting and I am still lethargic and sleepy. But the time away from home, being solo for so many days and in so many places, allowed me the time to think of the options ahead. I am not hurting financially and could easily ride it out till I start getting my Social Security, on top of the Pension I am getting for nearly a year. Anyway, I came to the conclusion that I am barely in my early 60s and I still have a lot to contribute to the world. So I changed my LinkedIn profile to say I am Looking for a Job and surprisingly, so many leads.

Heck, it is possible I may get a good news about a job interview I did yesterday which, if happens, would be the highest compensation of my rather long career in the IT fields. And what Vance is saying can't hurt me. Thank you, Mr. Vance! America and Americans First!

sleep well, take it easy, walk outside with the wifey and enjoy the time......you're lucky indeed to not need to work right away.
maybe learn to cook a dish or 2 in your kitchen!
 
Vance is funded by tech bros like Palantir. He will never implement any policy that stops them from importing cheaper foreign talent, and H1b is that pipeline.

This is very much a Trumpian move. The IT industry has severely abused the H1b visa which was meant to address genuine shortages in the workforce only. Monopolizing and abusing the H1b is how millions of Indians moved to the US, kicking out millions of Americans from their IT jobs.

these days america has plenty of tech workers that can do everything, there really is no special skill set that some indians have which americans don't

Time to shutdown entire H1B and all related/dependent visas and send em home.
Now they go contribute in their home countries.....

American companies need to hire american nationals first or settled green card holders.
 
On balance, a good move - many high-paying candidates from India had to go back because the visas were eaten by less paying ones ( bankers, consultants with B-school had to go back because Cogni or Infy was stuffing the channel)
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top