2024 British Columbia election thread

Yommie

Elite Member
Reaction score
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
This thread will keep track of the 2024 British Columbia election to see if the ruling NDP party can hold onto power.

Source:
N/A

Major shake-up in B.C. politics​

NDP and BC Conservatives in virtual dead heat: poll​

B.C. Conservative official says party aims to finalize its candidates by Labour Day​

BC Today, Aug. 30: Political centrists look for a home in Victoria | Gardening with Brian Minter​

Who now represents the centre in B.C. politics?​

Hospital crack pipe machines prove B.C. 'NDP has lost the plot': former NDP MLA​

August 30, 2024 - The implosion of BC United​

First NDP Election Ads: 2024 British Columbia General Election​

David Eby's NDP campaign is failing - BC Conservatives set up to win!​

Vancouver Island MLA Mitzi Dean withdrawing from upcoming B.C. election​

By Staff The Canadian Press
Posted September 1, 2024 1:32 pm
Updated September 1, 2024 1:33 pm
1 min read

Video will begin after these messages...
close video
RELATED: Poll highlights B.C. economic issues – Aug 23, 2024
LEAVE A COMMENTSHARE THIS ITEM ON FACEBOOKSHARE THIS ITEM ON TWITTERSEND THIS PAGE TO SOMEONE VIA EMAILSEE MORE SHARING OPTIONS

DESCREASE ARTICLE FONT SIZE
INCREASE ARTICLE FONT SIZE
British Columbia’s Minister of State for Child Care Mitzi Dean says she won’t be running in the provincial election in October.

70c8fc80

Dean says she’s bowing out of the election to focus on her health and her family.

She says “personal challenges” over the last year have affected her health, and says dropping out of the running was “one of the most difficult decisions” of her life.

For news affecting Kitchener and surrounding communities, sign up to receive Kitchener news alerts when they break.

Get breaking Kitchener news​

For news affecting Kitchener and surrounding communities, sign up to receive Kitchener news alerts when they break.
BY PROVIDING YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS, YOU HAVE READ AND AGREE TO GLOBAL NEWS' TERMS AND CONDITIONS AND PRIVACY POLICY.
Dean says she’s grateful to her fellow caucus members and constituents in her riding on Vancouver Island, now known as Esquimalt-Colwood.

Premier David Eby says he agreed with Dean’s reasons for not running again, and says Dean is on leave from her ministerial role “effective immediately.”

In July, fellow ministers Harry Bains, Bruce Ralston and Rob Fleming also announced they wouldn’t be seeking re-election when British Columbians head to the polls on October 19.

'Climate change is not a crisis': B.C. Conservative Leader John Rustad​

Fraser-Nicola MLA Jackie Tegart will not be seeking re-election​

Tegart, first elected as a BC Liberal in 2013, says it has been an 'honour beyond words' to represent riding
Barbara Roden
Barbara Roden
about 4 hours ago

8773492_web1_171005-ACC-M-Jackie-Tegart-June-2017
Fraser-Nicola MLA Jackie Tegart, who was first elected as a BC Liberal in 2013, has announced she will not be running for re-election in October.Submitted
Listen to this article
00:03:00

BC United MLA Jackie Tegart has announced that she will not be running in the upcoming provincial election.

Tegart has represented the Fraser-Nicola riding since she was first elected as a BC Liberal in 2013. She won re-election in 2017 and again in 2020.

In a statement issued on Tuesday (Sept. 3), Tegart said that her decision not to seek re-election was made after careful consideration. It comes after BC United leader Kevin Falcon's surprise announcement on Aug. 28 that the party was suspending its campaign and withdrawing its candidates from the 2024 British Columbia general election in order to endorse the Conservative Party of BC.

"Serving the people of Fraser-Nicola has been one of the greatest honours of my life," said Tegart in her statement. "Over the past 11 years, we have faced extraordinary challenges — wildfires, landslides, floods, and atmospheric rivers — that tested the resilience of our communities.

"Yet, time and again, I witnessed the incredible spirit of our people, stepping up to support one another in ways that were often unprecedented. It has been my privilege to advocate on behalf of such a strong and united constituency, even when government actions fell short."

Tegart mentioned many achievements that were accomplished in the riding during her time in office, including the $60 million fix for the 10 Mile Slide site near Lillooet on Highway 99; construction of a new ER in Merritt; expanding seniors' housing in Clinton; fostering the growth of the Ashcroft Terminal; and developing the Tourism Master Plan for the Fraser Canyon.

Prior to entering provincial politics in 2013, Tegart — a longtime Ashcroft resident — served on the Board of Trustees of School District No. 74 (Gold Trail) for 17 years, and was board chair for 15 years. She also served three terms as a councillor for the Village of Ashcroft. She served as caucus chair for the BC Liberals, and is currently the assistant deputy speaker.

Her announcement came after several other high-profile BC United MLAs, including Todd Stone (Kamloops-South Thompson) and Shirley Bond (Prince George-Valemount), stated that they would not be seeking re-election. The next provincial election will take place on Oct. 19, 2024.

"I want to extend my heartfelt thanks to my dedicated staff both in the riding and in Victoria," said Tegart. "Their unwavering commitment to serving the people of Fraser-Nicola has been truly inspiring. To the countless supporters who have stood with us over the past decade, I am deeply grateful for their trust and encouragement.

"As I step back from public life, I do so with immense gratitude for the opportunity to have served this incredible region. It has been an honour beyond words to represent you."

Surrey-Panorama candidate drops from BC Conservative Party amid 'drama'​

Dupinder Saran says she 'did the right' thing by moving aside
Sobia Moman
Sobia Moman
about 4 hours ago

dupinder-kaur-saran
Dupinder Kaur Saran has left the Conservative Party of B.C. and will instead run as an independent in the Surrey-Panorama riding for the upcoming provincial election.Contributed photo
Listen to this article
00:01:16

A Conservative candidate from Surrey is now running as an independent as the fallout continues from BC United's abrupt end to its election campaign.

Dupinder Kaur Saran was the Surrey-Panorama candidate for the Conservative Party of B.C. but announced Monday night (Sept. 2) that she is no longer in the party.

"As a candidate in Surrey-Panorama, I witnessed a Conservative candidate in Whiterock being bullied into leaving their riding & to choose either the Fleetwood or Panorama riding," Saran wrote on X, formerly Twitter.

"I could no longer watch this drama unfold & did the right thing by moving to a side, to make room for the Whiterock candidate."

Moving forward, Saran will continue running in the Panorama riding but as an independent, saying that the BC Conservative party is "now a Liberal Party running under the Conservative banner."

Jinny Sims, the NDP MLA and candidate for Surrey-Panorama, said on X that Bryan Tepper, named as the BC Conservative candidate for Surrey-White Rock, will now be running in the Surrey-Panorama riding.

Surrey-White Rock is the riding currently represented by BC United MLA Trevor Halford, who was set to run again for that party.

Veteran BC United legislator Mike Bernier to run as independent in fall election​

Chuck Chiang and Ashley Joannou, The Canadian Pressabout 2 hours ago

a0ab12174df6ed8a8ee875d69303e677d75a5d1332cddf92870b288522850ed1
Then-British Columbia Education Minister Mike Bernier responds to questions during a news conference in Vancouver on Thursday, Jan. 14, 2016. Veteran B.C. legislator Bernier will run in the fall provincial election as an independent instead of joining several former BC United candidates in running under the B.C. Conservatives banner. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl Dyck
Veteran British Columbia legislator Mike Bernier will run in the fall provincial election as an independent instead of joining several former BC United candidates in running under the B.C. Conservatives banner.

Bernier said Wednesday he did not want to "bend" his morals and values by running with the provincial Conservatives, describing some of the party's candidates as holding views that are "anti-women's rights, anti-climate change" and "anti-First Nations."

His decision comes after B.C.'s political landscape underwent a seismic shift last week, when BC United Leader Kevin Falcon shut down the Official Opposition's campaign while throwing support behind the Conservatives led by John Rustad.

The parties have pooled candidates, with some BC United contenders joining the Conservatives, others withdrawing from the election and others, like Bernier, running as independents.

"I think that they put together a bunch of people that were right for the (B.C. Conservative) party that I would just really have a hard time working with," Bernier said in an interview.

"And I believe, unless they can moderate some of their views, they're going to really struggle in resonating with the majority of British Columbians."

The Peace River South MLA had said previously that he might run as a B.C. Conservative if asked, but says when announcing his decision to go independent that he "never spoke to them at all."

Bernier said many voters in his region vote to support a particular candidate, rather than a political party, and that people pushed him to stay in the race.

Bernier was first elected in 2013 and won his seat in the 2020 provincial election with 51 per cent of the vote.

He predicted that the election would be close, potentially giving independent MLAs the balance of power in the legislature.

"There'll be a lot of different scenarios that could play out. But again, for myself, at the end of the day, it's just really getting up and fighting for the people," he said.

Bernier called Falcon's actions last week "the dirty side of politics" and said BC United had been running centre-right candidates who "could have filled that void" between left and right-wing parties.

"We have a very diverse province, and I know people shouldn't feel like they have to be told who to vote for, because I don't want to see that polarizing kind of politics in British Columbia that sometimes we see down south," he said.

A joint list of 140 previously endorsed candidates from both parties is being whittled down to fit the 93 ridings up for grabs, and three United MLAs — Ian Paton, Peter Milobar and Trevor Halford — on Tuesday announced they were running as Conservatives.

The shake up has also meant the shuffling and, in some cases, the dropping of former B.C. Conservative candidates in favour of those from BC United.

They include Dupinder Kaur Saran who has said she is also planning to run as an independent in Surrey-Panorama after losing party endorsement.

Kevin Acton, the mayor of Lumby and the former BC United candidate in the Vernon-Lumby riding, also announced he would be running as an independent after losing his endorsement in the shuffle.

“While the party model of government has certain benefits, it also has a number of obvious flaws — including the ability of a party leader to remove previously vetted and duly elected candidates from participation as that party’s candidate, without the benefit of consultation or agreement from local constituents or the declared candidate," Acton said in a statement posted online.

The Conservative slot on the ballot in Vernon-Lumby is now slated to be filled by former Kamloops-Centre candidate Dennis Giesbrecht, who was moved from the Kamloops spot to make room for Milobar.

Elections BC director of communications Andrew Watson said in an email that while a political party can withdraw its endorsement of a candidate, only the person who is running can withdraw their nomination.

That means it is up to the person who is nominated to withdraw, run as an independent, or run as an unaffiliated candidate, in which case only their name would appear on the ballot, without the "independent" label.

Candidate nominations close in B.C. at 1 p.m. on Sept. 28.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Sept. 4, 2024.

Chuck Chiang and Ashley Joannou, The Canadian Press

Users who are viewing this thread

Back