F-18 Super Hornets now operating with SM-6 missiles

UKBengali

Elite Member
May 29, 2011
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
So I suppose this is the US answer to China's J-11/PL-15 combo.

F-22Raptor

Elite Member
Jun 18, 2014
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
So I suppose this is the US answer to China's J-11/PL-15 combo.

No, that’s the AIM-260 and it’s already in production. Here’s a great video on it

The SM-6 can be used in an air-air or air-ship mode. Incredibly effective and can be guided in the NIFC-CA battle network

Awwad

Jan 17, 2024
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
The SM-6 can be used in an air-air or air-ship mode. Incredibly effective and can be guided in the NIFC-CA battle network

It won't have enough punch in air-ship role. But will have great speed though (high super sonic).

UKBengali

Elite Member
May 29, 2011
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
No, that’s the AIM-260 and it’s already in production. Here’s a great video on it

Yes my bad there.

China has the PL-21 in development which has a range speculated to be up to 400km and so the SM-6 will have comparable range to this Chinese missile.

I suppose there will have to be some modifications to make the SM-6 air launch capable.

SolarWarden

Apr 16, 2024
Country of Origin
Country of Residence

What I like about this is SM-6 are made to also take down high speed maneuverable fighter size targets at these extreme ranges unlike Russian R37M and PLA PL-17 and PL-21 which are made for tankers and AWACS type aircraft.

LeGenD

RETIRED MOD
Aug 28, 2006
It won't have enough punch in air-ship role. But will have great speed though (high super sonic).
Harpoon variants have punched holes in ships in testing and combat situations.

SM-6 is much better:

Being able to call upon the SM-6 as an anti-ship weapon means the Navy has a missile that offers significantly greater range than the Harpoon that’s been traditionally used in the same role. While the Harpoon Block II can hit targets at a range of around 75 miles, the SM-6 offers more than double the range. Although SM-6 doesn’t carry a warhead optimized for surface attack, the high speed of the weapon — in excess of Mach 3 — should enhance its lethality considerably, especially since it is coupled with a blast-fragmentation warhead. Its guidance system — an active radar seeker with a datalink for midcourse guidance updates combined with a GPS/inertial navigation system — is also ideal for a moving target like a warship.

The latest SM-6 Block 1B variant is a hypersonic weapon. It will be incredibly potent.

Taimoor

Elite Member
Jan 20, 2016
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
The missile range (370Kms) outstrips the radar's (150Kms), carried by the platform. Safe to assume, that platform cannot carry it on independent missions and must be used within external guided command and control. Défense roles, make sense, not sure about offensive utility.

Users who are viewing this thread