Gaza-Israel Conflict | 2023-2024

The problem here and whilst I do disagree with it is that Hamas is not seen as a conventional combatant, therefore the conventional rules of war need not apply to them.

There is however a clear and legal distinction between targeting of combatants uniformed or otherwise and the indiscriminate targeting of civilian and protected infrastructure which is in contravention of rules of armed conflict;

View attachment 10860

View attachment 10861

Furthermore Rule 4 of IHL prohibits targeting of civilians, medical professionals and certain buildings:

View attachment 10862View attachment 10863View attachment 10864View attachment 10865
I am hoping that your esteemed intellectual buddy recognize this and make a statement.

War was declared by Israel after whatever they felt it needed.
After declaring war, whatever Israel did so far, do think (as an observer) that, their actions are justified?

As my personal opinion of course I think such civilian casualties are totally unjustified. However as a matter of reality Hamas did some atrocities as well.

The problem here and whilst I do disagree with it is that Hamas is not seen as a conventional combatant, therefore the conventional rules of war need not apply to them.

There is however a clear and legal distinction between targeting of combatants uniformed or otherwise and the indiscriminate targeting of civilian and protected infrastructure which is in contravention of rules of armed conflict;

View attachment 10860

View attachment 10861

Furthermore Rule 4 of IHL prohibits targeting of civilians, medical professionals and certain buildings:

View attachment 10862View attachment 10863View attachment 10864View attachment 10865
A dispassionate reading of the laws quoted is not as decisive as one might think.

something happened !
And that enshrines the right of Israel to self defence which is a sovereign right. I think anyone of a sane mind can agree Hamas was the aggressor, and to be frank I think even Hamas were taken by surprise at lack of readiness of the IDF on the day.

Killing of civilians is horrible and should be condemned from both sides.

Coming to Israel’s sovereign right to self defence , we must remember that in law is force that is proportionate, lawful, accountable, necessary and ethical.

After 9/11 if the US so wanted they could have dropped a nuke on Afghanistan and called it a day.

But that would have been an indiscriminate and excessive use of force which would have been rightly condemned.

So the US had to opt for a long war with boots on the ground. It’s a difficult situation dissecting war, because war is anything but B.A.U.

A dispassionate reading of the laws quoted is not as decisive as one might think.
Agreed but laws are only as good as those who uphold them, otherwise they may as well be toilet paper to wipe one’s own backside.

As my personal opinion of course I think such civilian casualties are totally unjustified. However as a matter of reality Hamas did some atrocities as well.
it should have been a controlled chaos, Israel has the most sophisticated spy tech and Mil. instead of bombing indiscriminately.

Of course encouragement and protection was provided by the friend to go trigger happy.

Agreed but laws are only as good as those who uphold them, otherwise they may as well be toilet paper to wipe one’s own backside.

Agreed. And why am I reminded of General Zia’s opinion of the law here?

it should have been a controlled chaos, Israel has the most sophisticated spy tech and Mil. instead of bombing indiscriminately.

Of course encouragement and protection was provided by the friend to go trigger happy.

And the above as your personal opinion is perfectly fine with me.

The problem here has many layers. Remember that in such cases the nation not only its own grievances to address but also has to provide reassurance to its citizens, who’s faith and trust in their armed forces was shaken to the core that day.

Then comes the power play and political games behind closed doors. As the days goes, war is old men talking and young men dying.

Agreed. And why am I reminded of General Zia’s opinion of the law here?
Haha Zia and his directives. I am not fond to speak I’ll of the dead so I will hold my tongue but I have no kind words for that man.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back