Hellenic Army to get 162 Bradley IFVs

Foinikas

Elite Member
Aug 1, 2021
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
From: https://flight.com.gr/hellenic-army-chose-first-162-m2a2/

The Greek Army has selected a total of 164 M2A2 ODS-SAs, and is preparing to enter the "Bradley constellation" powerfully! Greek officers, accompanied by officials of the American Embassy, and officials of the U.S. Army Tank-Automotive and Armaments Command, inspected the available vehicles. Essentially a Joint Visual Inspection (JVI) took place between June 3 and 5 at Camp Shelby, Mississippi. There the first 62 Bradleys were selected to be delivered to Greece as free aid through Excess Defense Articles (EDA).
IMG_1109.png

The JVI process is done as part of the preparation of a Letter of Offer and Acceptance (LOA). These vehicles will be delivered free of charge in Greece.

IMG_1110.png

The same committee accompanied the officers of the Greek Army to BAE Systems facilities in Texas, where another 102 vehicles were selected from the company's inventory. The purpose of the Greek Army is to equip 4 battalions with Bradley M2A2 IFV, 41 vehicles each. The US Army equips its battalions with 31 M2s and then with M113A3s. ES has decided to have more firepower and therefore chose 41X4=164 vehicles.
The first 62 as we said, will be delivered free of charge, while the remaining 102 will be purchased second-hand at a low price from BAE Systems. All Bradleys will be modernized to a level roughly equivalent to the M2A3 or A4, either in the US or in Greece. In the future, Greece is expected to receive a much larger number of vehicles of the type, either from the stock of M2 (IFV) or M3 (reconnaissance version).

Source:
Ptisi

Solomon2

Elite Member
Dec 12, 2008
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
It's interesting that the Bradley is suddenly popular. Apparently the Ukrainians have used it with great success.

Foinikas

Elite Member
Aug 1, 2021
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
It's interesting that the Bradley is suddenly popular. Apparently the Ukrainians have used it with great success.
Actually we've been trying to get some from American stocks for some years now.

Waz

Administrator
Sep 14, 2006
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
Good vehicle and a cost effective buy.

Foinikas

Elite Member
Aug 1, 2021
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
And why did it take you so long to get them?
I think negotiations were not that good. Then we were looking at the Lynx deal with Germany,but that turned out to be very expensive. Then the war in Ukraine started and we were hoping to get far more than just 40 Marder 1A3 from the Germans. We wanted at least 100,but actually far more. But The Germans wouldn't give us any more,since they already wanted to give a number to the Ukrainians and also keep the rest for themselves now that the Puma had some problems and also,seeing that their army was left with very small numbers after 20 years.

So we asked for some 300 Bradley from the Americans. But the Americans were now too stingy with them. Because you know,they wanted to keep a lot of them for Ukraine.

40 Marder 1A3 and 162 M2A2 ODS-SA(or M2A3/A4 if they upgrade them)aren't a lot,if you think about it,but for a country that had no IFV for 30 years,except the BMP-1 Ost...that's a big upgrade. Imagine going from BMP-1 and M113 to Marder,Bradley and M1117 Guardian.

Yommie

Elite Member
Oct 2, 2013
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
I'm surprised the US still have M2A2 left considering the US gave so many of these to Ukraine.

Foinikas

Elite Member
Aug 1, 2021
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
I'm surprised the US still have M2A2 left considering the US gave so many of these to Ukraine.
Apparently they still have thousands stored. I think they even have Abrams stored.

Back in 2011 we were offered 400 used M1A1 Abrams for free by the Americans.I guess the Armed Forces and the governments during the economic crisis decided it wasn't a priority. The tanks would be "where is,as is" anyway. They would have needed an amount of money to be restored to become operational again(some estimate this at around 240,000$ per tank)and also need ammunition.

But...I guess we're left with the 390 M48A5 MOLF when it comes to American tanks.

Foinikas

Elite Member
Aug 1, 2021
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
They have all long been destroyed.
That's not true.

As of March 2024, at least 71 Ukrainian Bradleys had been confirmed to have been lost by photos or videos; 33 destroyed, 24 damaged, 12 abandoned and 2 captured.[46]

The Ukrainians supposedly got more than 200 Bradleys. Yes,losing 71 is a big number,but many were just damaged by mines or artillery and left there. Remember all the videos of Bradleys losing tracks?

Lulldapull

Oct 21, 2006
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
That's not true.

As of March 2024, at least 71 Ukrainian Bradleys had been confirmed to have been lost by photos or videos; 33 destroyed, 24 damaged, 12 abandoned and 2 captured.[46]

The Ukrainians supposedly got more than 200 Bradleys. Yes,losing 71 is a big number,but many were just damaged by mines or artillery and left there. Remember all the videos of Bradleys losing tracks?
Bro I wouldn’t sit in one and go charging a Russian strong point. Hell no! Even if yous pay me a million bucks right now……I wanna live.

Foinikas

Elite Member
Aug 1, 2021
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
Bro I wouldn’t sit in one and go charging a Russian strong point. Hell no! Even if yous pay me a million bucks right now……I wanna live.
You also wouldn't sit in a BMP-2 and charge the Ukrainians. Or an Abrams and charge the Russians or a T-90 and charge the Ukrainians. But the point is,you're in Pakistan and you have to defend against India. Would you rather be in an M113,a Talha APC,a Dragoon 2 or a Bradley?

Or more specifically in our case,would you rather be in a BMP-1,M113 or Bradley? :p

Lulldapull

Oct 21, 2006
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
You also wouldn't sit in a BMP-2 and charge the Ukrainians. Or an Abrams and charge the Russians or a T-90 and charge the Ukrainians. But the point is,you're in Pakistan and you have to defend against India. Would you rather be in an M113,a Talha APC,a Dragoon 2 or a Bradley?

Or more specifically in our case,would you rather be in a BMP-1,M113 or Bradley? :p
I wuz just sayin bro…..all these fancy billion dollar toys have lost all their luster over the last couple of years. People are digesting very uncomfortable realities these days, specifically those who had built up huge inventories of these vehicles and planes and ships, only to find out now that yous goin be sendin your bhoyz in these death traps on one way suicide missions…..😝👌

Aaaahahahahaaaa

Foinikas

Elite Member
Aug 1, 2021
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
I wuz just sayin bro…..all these fancy billion dollar toys have lost all their luster over the last couple of years. People are digesting very uncomfortable realities these days, specifically those who had built up huge inventories of these vehicles and planes and ships, only to find out now that yous goin be sendin your bhoyz in these death traps on one way suicide missions…..😝👌

Aaaahahahahaaaa
But the problem with Ukraine is the vast,flat terrain and the lack of Ukrainian air cover. The same thing happened with the Abrams and Leopard 2. The same thing happened with hundreds of Russian tanks.

Yommie

Elite Member
Oct 2, 2013
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
M2A2 is old. These are all built in the 1980s. The last Bradley rolled off the lines in 1995. The US army uses the more modern M2A3 version.

Users who are viewing this thread