Indian Navy's Next Generation Offshore Patrol Vessels

Faceless

Reaction score
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
The 26/11 terror attack and multiple incidents of ships drifting undetected near Indian shores reinforced the belief that the vast 7500km Indian coastline is vulnerable to foreign intrusions.

To combat such threats the importance of OPVs has grown manifold.
While frigates form the bedrock of a fleet and are the principal surface combatants in many small to medium navies, OPVs have carved out their own niche because of the range of options they provide which makes them extremely cost effective force multipliers for a range of operations.

OPVs are long range surface ships, capable of operation in maritime zones of India, including island territories. Their roles include coastal and offshore patrolling, policing maritime zones of India, control and surveillance, anti-smuggling and anti piracy missions with limited wartime roles.

OPVs can be broadly classified into two types. Firstly, high-end war-fighting vessels with expensive weapon systems and C4I suites and Secondly the more basic patrol vessels, designed for sustained low intensity missions with basic gun armaments, standard navigation sensors and built to commercial standards.

Indian Navy's upcoming Next Generation Offshore Patrol Vessel or NGOPV for short come under the second type and are meant for search and rescue (SAR), counter-narcotics, humanitarian operations and exclusive economic zone (EEZ) patrol.

A total of 11 NGOPV's are to be built by Indian shipyards under the IDDM category.
The deal was signed on 30 March 2023 with the deliveries scheduled to commence from September 2026.

TypeOffshore Patrol Vessel
Place of OriginIndia

Service HistoryUnder Construction
Used ByIndian Navy
Unit Cost110 million Dollars
Ships Planned11
ManufacturerGoa Shipyard (GSL)
Garden Reach Shipbuilders & Engineers (GRSE)

Displacement2500 tons
Length105 - 110 m
Beam-
Draught5 m
Propulsion2 × Diesel Engine with Controlled Pitch
Propellers and Twin Rudders (Unknown Supplier)
Speed25 kn (maximum)
20 kn (sustained)
14 kn (economical)
Range8500 nm (on economical speed of 14 kn)
Endurance60 days at Sea
Sea Worthiness• Operational Role – upto Sea State 5
• Heli Operations – upto Sea State 4.
• Survivability – upto Sea State 8.
Ship Life30 years
Personnel20 officers and 130 sailors

Sensors• 2 x BEL LynxU2
• 2 x EOIRST
• 1× Navigation Radar (Unknown Supplier)
Management System• Indigenous CMS (Combat Management System)
• Integrated Platform Management System (IPMS)
• Integrated Machinery Control System (IMCS)
• Automatic Power Management System (APMS)
• Battle Damage Control system (BDCS)
Electronic warfare Suite• 1 x Kavach decoy launchers
• 1 x Maareech torpedo countermeasure systems
• 1 x XBT
• 2 x Acoustic Warning Device
• Indigenous ESM system
Armament• 1 × 76 mm Oto Melara gun
• 2 × 30mm AK-630 CIWS
• 2 x VSHORADS
• 2 x 12.7 mm Elbit SRCG
• Naval Mines (Modular)
• Heli Launched Shyena Torpedo
• Heli Launched NASM SR Anti Ship Missile
Aviation• 1 × 15 t helicopter (HAL Dhruv or MH-60R)
• VTOL UAVs
Boats2 × 7m Rigid Hull Boats

Source:
Not Applicable
Last edited:
corporate-brochure-split_page-0001-jpg.20725

It is possible that people don't get too excited about OPVs. Not many have read about these, or about their RN origins to patrol the Cod Wars, and certainly nobody has read comics or war stories about the glamorous though gruelling service on board dashing destroyers or hard-working frigates, or even in corvettes battling for life against the weather as well as against an unforgiving enemy.

Give them time.

It is possible that people don't get too excited about OPVs. Not many have read about these, or about their RN origins to patrol the Cod Wars, and certainly nobody has read comics or war stories about the glamorous though gruelling service on board dashing destroyers or hard-working frigates, or even in corvettes battling for life against the weather as well as against an unforgiving enemy.

Give them time.

Its just going to take a while for the forum to get saturated/active enough I think is main issue given the reset etc that has happened.

I'd disagree with the "nobody", some ("gen Z") youngsters really surprised me lately.

A fresh batch of interns and hires I got acquainted with...a good number of them knew about the PT Boat in Black Lagoon (a size smaller of course than the OPV, its lineage lies with the FAC now.... but intense service record given small size of boat and mission profile).

But they certainly had to sit back and listen to my "ok boomer" larger PT boat sermon that then delved into the deltic engine the brits developed post war as well.

One of my (actual "boomer") engg. mentors that gave me so much of the in and out of it many years back was a fellow rail fan as well (deltics saw use in some diesel locos too) and I'll never forget the way he told me "that one of the great tragedies in life is that all of the diesel loco beauty is well trapped inside it and totally unknown to most..." (unlike steam which oozes outside beauty effortlessly).

Fun fact: the black lagoon series were inspired in some large part by the 1990s piracy that was taking place in the south china sea at the time.

Growing up in HK I remember the news popping up on TV from time to time along with the vietnamese boat people (HK held a number of them in detention camps which was causing a real stir with number of HR groups, media and West vs East psyche stuff looming w.r.t handover).

A bunch of pro-China HK activists also got into trouble with the Japanese (all kind of boats, OPVs, marines, helicopters, flags getting put up and taken down, one of the activists drowning stupidly, lamentation funerals, anger, pre handover angst etc) around this time at the diao yu islands (these were never called senkaku on HK TV even back then heh). This is also when best friend of mine introduced me to number of really bad Chinese words for the Japanese.

@Fatman17 @RescueRanger @VCheng @Oscar et al.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back