Miners Unknowingly Enter a Death Trap

_NOBODY_

Reaction score
Country of Origin
Country of Residence

On May 10th, 1897, 35 miners started down the 1000-foot ladder to the depths of the Snaefell Mine. Many of these men would never see the light of day again. This is their horrifying story. As always, viewer discretion is advised.

On May 10th, 1897, 35 miners started down the 1000-foot ladder to the depths of the Snaefell Mine. Many of these men would never see the light of day again. This is their horrifying story. As always, viewer discretion is advised.

Tragic. It has always long been bad with cave-ins and other dangers.....the canary in the coalmine stuff adds to it. Safety equipment (esp O2 sensors, respirators, protocols etc) have improved a bunch along with the overall value alloted to human life now compared to back then. Its been learning process fraught with these tragedies though.

Have you watched the movie october sky? I always remember the part when the kid says hes "never going back down there".

The mining tragedies make me remember this early Bee Gees song:

Tragic. It has always long been bad with cave-ins and other dangers.....the canary in the coalmine stuff adds to it. Safety equipment (esp O2 sensors, respirators, protocols etc) have improved a bunch along with the overall value alloted to human life now compared to back then. Its been learning process fraught with these tragedies though.

Have you watched the movie october sky? I always remember the part when the kid says hes "never going back down there".

The mining tragedies make me remember this early Bee Gees song:

I have never even heard of Neve Going Back Down There. Is it worth watching?

I’ve done some caving in the UK and Europe and let me tell you - some of these uncharted cave systems are absolutely death traps and if you are inexperienced or underestimate the risks it can lead to disaster.

Case in point is the nutty putty cave incident:

I’ve done some caving in the UK and Europe and let me tell you - some of these uncharted cave systems are absolutely death traps and if you are inexperienced or underestimate the risks it can lead to disaster.

Case in point is the nutty putty cave incident:

I've always been claustrophobic and would never think to even attempt this sort of adventure.

I've always been claustrophobic and would never think to even attempt this sort of adventure.
Beginner caves are a good place to start- Scotland has some really challenging intermediate caves which are much more challenging. In my opinion Nutty Putty - the cave in this incident in America should never have been listed as a “beginner cave”.

Beginner caves are a good place to start- Scotland has some really challenging intermediate caves which are much more challenging. In my opinion Nutty Putty - the cave in this incident in America should never have been listed as a “beginner cave”.
Don't you find solo exploration of caves a bit boring? Isn't it more fun when more than one person is involved?

Don't you find solo exploration of caves a bit boring? Isn't it more fun when more than one person is involved?
Almost no one explores caves alone. Serious cavers have to go with a guide, each cave system is different.

When you go caving you have to file a itinerary and rescue plan in case you dont return etc.

It's a very high risk hobby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back