Toyota's May global output slides with marked decline in China

冖_冖

Reaction score
Country of Origin
Country of Residence

Toyota's May global output slides with marked decline in China​

Reuters
Thu 27 June 2024 at 5:54 am BST

TOKYO (Reuters) - Toyota's global production slid for a fourth straight month in May from a year earlier on lower output in many overseas markets, with the decline in China, where local brands have become much more competitive, particularly sharp.

Output for the month decreased 4% to 812,191 vehicles. In China, production fell 22%. In addition to strong vehicle offerings from Chinese brands, the world's biggest car market has been engaged in a fierce price war.

The Japanese automaker also had lower production in markets such as Thailand, Mexico, Brazil and France although the U.S. and Japan saw output grow.

Toyota's worldwide sales rose just 0.3% during the month, with growth in overseas markets such as the U.S. and Europe offsetting declining sales in Japan and China.

Source:
/
Every compony who has overly depended on China will be at loss in long term. Musk is going to learn hard way by not learning from Apple.

Especially in China...

No wonder.

In Indonesia shopping mall, there's car showrooms.

After checked Chinese car, then Japanese car, the difference is huge.

Japanese car looks so outdated and cheap.

The feeling is real.

Every compony who has overly depended on China will be at loss in long term. Musk is going to learn hard way by not learning from Apple.

Not really.

Not depending on China and watch closely, they will be outdated and outcompeted.

From what I see.

Many foreign companies are very successful because they work together with China.

And the ones who are crushed are the ones who don't, or they are not fully heartened, lack of efforts.

China is the new trendsetter. If you are not following the trend, you will be outcompeted, naturally.

Trend is not just about model design, but also technology too.

Japan almost fails because they are not following the trend.

Japan automakers report lower sales in China, Thailand
6 hours ago

Japan's five automakers with operations in China all reported a decline in sales in the country in July. The trend was the same in Thailand where the car manufacturers had typically held a dominant market share.

Toyota says sales in China fell 6.1 percent from the same month last year to about 143 thousand vehicles.
Honda had a tougher time of it, with sales sliding 41.3 percent to just short of 53 thousand units.

The slump in China reflects the shift in demand in the country toward electric vehicles.

Consequently, Japan's carmakers are revamping their strategies, which includes exiting China completely or slashing production there.
A similar scenario is playing out in Thailand as Chinese EVs take a bigger share of that market.

All 5 Japanese carmakers that have reported sales in the country say shipments slumped by double-digits in July.

Toyota, which has the biggest share of the Thai market, says sales slid 12.9 percent. Suzuki reported a plunge of 62.2 percent.

Nissan sales skidded 49.3 percent, Honda 27.9 percent and Mitsubishi 31.2 percent.

Like with China, the automakers plan to close or merge factories in Thailand.

However, for global sales, eight Japanese automakers reported a more mixed performance in July. Mazda, Daihatsu, Subaru and Mitsubishi saw increases thanks to brisk demand in the US. Toyota, Honda, Nissan and Suzuki reported declines.

Toyota cuts 2026 global EV output plans by a third, Nikkei reports
September 6, 20244:24 PM GMT+8Updated 2 hours ago

TOKYO, Sept 6 (Reuters) - Japan's Toyota Motor (7203.T), opens new tab has slashed its electric vehicle production plans for 2026 by a third, the Nikkei business daily reported, becoming the latest automaker to roll back electric car plans as EV sales momentum wanes.

The world's biggest automaker now plans to build 1 million EVs in 2026, compared with the company's earlier announced sales target of 1.5 million, it said.

Toyota said in a statement there was no change to its intention to produce 1.5 million EVs per year by 2026 and 3.5 million by 2030. It said, however, that the figures were not targets but benchmarks for shareholders.

Producing even 1 million electric vehicles per year, however, represents an ambitious undertaking for Toyota, which has put far more effort into developing hybrids and sold only about 104,000 EVs last year. EVs currently account for about 1% of its global sales.

They need China's market and supply chain ecosystem in order to compete globally.

Toyota global production drops for the 7th straight month​

KYODO NEWS - Sep 27, 2024 - 18:09 | All, Japan

Tokyo-Toyota Motor Corp. said Friday its global production in August dropped 11.2 percent from a year earlier to 709,571 vehicles, falling for the seventh straight month, as output was partially suspended due to a vehicle certification scandal and a typhoon.

Its production outside of Japan also fell, declining 6.5 percent to 523,891 vehicles, following a recall of the Grand Highlander and Lexus TX in North America.

The domestic quality scandal, coupled with stiff competition in China, also negatively impacted its global sales, sending the figure down 3.1 percent to 826,863 vehicles.

Toyota sold 109,505 units in Japan, down 9.1 percent, as it was unable to ship the three models affected by the quality scandal.

Sales in China declined 13.5 percent as local rivals offering more affordable electric vehicles continued to grab market share from Japanese automakers, leading to a 2.1 percent fall in overseas sales to 717,358 units.

The country's eight major automakers, including Toyota, built a total of 1.85 million cars globally in August, down 10.2 percent from a year earlier, as they continued to face tough competition in China, according to the companies.

Viets prefer Honda (NOT a #1 Japanese brand) over Toyota (a #1 Japanese brand). Chinese prefer Toyota over Honda, something which I admire because they have higher self-esteem/higher self-respect than Viets to choose the #1 higher ranking brand.

When I was in Chaozhou, China a couple of weeks ago, I was transported to and from the HSR train station at the expense of the tour company by Toyota ICE cars. I could feel the power of the Toyota ICE cars on the road. I would be a little disappointed if they were Hondas.

It's a trending theme that old Toyota ICE cars are being replaced by better Chinese brands in China. BUT for all intents and purposes, old Toyota ICE cars on the roads in China still make for pretty good cars.

My Dad was telling me when he visited Shenzhen many many years/aeons ago, the city was populated with Korean ICE cars. Just a couple of weeks ago, I saw that most if not all taxi cars in Shenzhen are BYDs. Shame to Tesla Shenzhen taxi drivers know that BYDs are more reliable...

Last edited:
Viets prefer Honda (NOT a #1 Japanese brand) over Toyota (a #1 Japanese brand). Chinese prefer Toyota over Honda, something which I admire because they have higher self-esteem/higher self-respect than Viets to choose the #1 higher ranking brand.

When I was in Chaozhou, China a couple of weeks ago, I was transported to and from the HSR train station at the expense of the tour company by Toyota ICE cars. I could feel the power of the Toyota ICE cars on the road. I would be a little disappointed if they were Hondas.

It's a trending theme that old Toyota ICE cars are being replaced by better Chinese brands in China. BUT for all intents and purposes, old Toyota ICE cars on the roads in China still make for pretty good cars.

My Dad was telling me when he visited Shenzhen many many years/aeons ago, the city was populated with Korean ICE cars. Just a couple of weeks ago, I saw that most if not all taxi cars in Shenzhen are BYDs. Shame to Tesla Shenzhen taxi drivers know that BYDs are more reliable...
base64-16735129905141548468642-1673605316.png

This is probably the first time I've heard that Vietnamese prefer Honda over Toyota. It might make more sense to compare Toyota with Korean cars instead. But honestly, how does favoring one brand over another relate to having higher self-esteem?

And just so you know, most Toyota models here in Vietnam are assembled locally. However, that’s not really the case with Honda. Some of their models are imported from Thailand and Indonesia, which drives up the price. Honda cars are generally known to be more expensive than similar models from Toyota and other Korean brands.

Last edited:
Honda cars are generally known to be more expensive than similar models from Toyota and other Korean brands.
My rear end. The Viets that live in North America buy Hondas to save a few 1000's bucks over Toyota. The other thing is Viets are used to ride Honda scooters in Vietnam all their lives. So when they emigrate to the West, it's the only brand they ever know.

Driving a Toyota has to do with self-respect. No self respecting person drives a 2nd 3rd rated car. Know why almost all taxis in North America are Toyotas instead of Honda? It coz those ppl need to earn a living on the road and having a car that constantly breaks down and needs maintenance is no good!

The other thing is Honda knows it sux. So it resorts to all kinds of gimmicks like create those Asimov robots to show off their engineering skills. At the end off the day, Honda still licks Toyota's boots in sales (despite Toyota never resort to side robot gimmicks).

Anyways, if Honda was any good, all the taxi car drivers in North America would choose it over Toyota. Just like if Tesla was any good, all the Shenzhen taxi car drivers would choose it over BYD!

Last edited:
My rear end. The Viets that live in North America buy Hondas to save a few 1000's bucks over Toyota. The other thing is Viets are used to ride Honda scooters in Vietnam all their lives. So when they emigrate to the West, it's the only brand they ever know.

Driving a Toyota has to do with self-respect. No self respecting person drives a 2nd 3rd rated car. Know why almost all taxis in North America are Toyotas instead of Honda? It coz those ppl need to earn a living on the road and having a car that constantly breaks down and needs maintenance is no good!

The other thing is Honda knows it sux. So it resorts to all kinds of gimmicks like create those Asimov robots to show off their engineering skills. At the end off the day, Honda still licks Toyota's boots in sales (despite Toyota never resort to side robot gimmicks).
There are currently around 100 million people living in Vietnam, but how many Vietnamese are there in the US? And let's be clear, they're Americans, not Vietnamese lol and scooters or not, that doesn't have anything to do with Vietnamese people preferring Toyota over Honda. But where is your source for the claim that Americans of Vietnamese descent prefer Honda over Toyota? Provide official statistics before making subjective and biased statements.

Viets were sprayed with agent Orange like pesticides. In the end they LOVE America. Whatever the brand like Honda, whatever the object of obsession like America the Viets adore, it's not something Chinese want to indulge in... Chinese would do best to stay far away from those objects of obession Viets hold dearly onto!

In the end, I was not disappointed but impressed Chinese in Chaozhou bought Toyota (rather than Honda) ICE cars in days long past!
Does any of this even relate to the topic or your previous posts? Why not back up those claims with a source that isn't just pulled out of your rear end?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Country Watch Latest

Latest Posts

Back