Why ordering rafale in batches is wise

harpy1

SpeedLimited
Reaction score
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
Indian air power received the rafale f3 2020/2022 only 36 planes

At huge cost
Many people have argued that order for 120/140 fighters was needed in one go.

The issue was many fold not least cost when the order was made in 2016 Indian gdp was mere two trillion dollars

The new order to be made in 2024/2025 will have Indian gdp at four trillion dollars

Also the French have further improved the rafale to f4 version better sensors and are developing F5 version working with unmanned warrior drones so rafale becomes fifth gen platform form with a loyal wingman as buddy plane

India will order both f4 and F5 versions in batches

This will.take longer to build up fleet but having
36 F3
36 F4
40 F5

Gives us much better fleet

At huge cost

The issue was many fold not least cost when the order was made in 2016 Indian gdp was mere two trillion dollars

The new order to be made in 2024/2025 will have Indian gdp at four trillion dollars

Also the French have further improved the rafale to f4 version better sensors and are developing F5 version working with unmanned warrior drones so rafale becomes fifth gen platform form with a loyal wingman as buddy plane

36 F3
36 F4
40 F5

So they are basically copying PAFs procurement policy/approach then !!!

At huge cost

36 F3
36 F4
40 F5

As per my limited understanding the Rafale is seen as IAF's tactical option against China, so it may just be phased in as per need.

As per my limited understanding the Rafale is seen as IAF's tactical option against China, so it may just be phased in as per need.
But Modi was regretting that if Rafale had been delivered to India, they would have prevented the loss of 27th of February. The same was said by the IAF Chief.

So it will also be used against Pakistan?

But Modi was regretting that if Rafale had been delivered to India, they would have prevented the loss of 27th of February. The same was said by the IAF Chief.

So it will also be used against Pakistan?
The issue is the Bison is not capable to match what we have in inventory at present, so unless they use LCA on Western border and keep the Rafale's to counter China. Western Air Command (IAF) during Trishul showcased some of their inventory
1703884510634.jpeg

Indians are of the impression present inventory supplemented with LCA should be capable to counter Pakistan whilst they fear PLAAF as the greater threat. You are correct about the speech from Modi and some IAF top brass about how the Rafael would have been a counter to the F16's at the time.

IAF 17 Squadron based out of Ambala has been equipped with Rafael's so it will be interesting to see if IAF will phase out the aging Mig21's and replace them with LCA's.

My understanding is as follows

Pak border su30mki standard
Tejas mark 1a
Mirage 2000/5

China plaaf
Super mki
Rafale f3
Mig29ug

The Tejas no's means some may move to northern command

More advanced rafale like F5 will be stop gap for decade or so until Amca arrives in 2040.

I suspect rafale f4 and F5 to arrive 2027 to 2030
2030/2035 F5 with wingman drones

I am waiting for the outcome of Macron's visit during 25-26 Jan for Republic day

Modi could announce a follow on order for 36-44 Rafales
With deal getting signed after his re election in June 2024

I am waiting for the outcome of Macron's visit during 25-26 Jan for Republic day

I think the 26 rafale m order will be progressed first for navy only
But would love the second catch of f4 fighters ordered for air force too now as I suggested

I think 26 for navy will be signed on the spot on 26JAN,
+ 36-44 additional for airforce once elections are done , to avoid political baxhodi.

My understanding is as follows

Pak border su30mki standard
Tejas mark 1a
Mirage 2000/5

China plaaf
Super mki
Rafale f3
Mig29ug

The Tejas no's means some may move to northern command

More advanced rafale like F5 will be stop gap for decade or so until Amca arrives in 2040.

I suspect rafale f4 and F5 to arrive 2027 to 2030
2030/2035 F5 with wingman drones
Mig 29 UPG will stay in northen sector, where they can be used against both Pakistan and Tibbet occupied by CHina,
Those jets are insane for high altitude warfare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Posts

Back