Old Man's Corners



They are trying to suck me back in but it's not going to work even though there is temptation.

I know how this ends their bats will likely go cold during Brewers series or starting rotation is finally exposed. They ran into a Cubs team that was in a slump before the wildcard and yeah Cubs are/were the #1 offense in MLB and only scored 1 run during the 2 games that will not be the case for Brews. Brews are rank #2 offense in MLB and I think it will show in upcoming series.
 
I'm a sucker for nostalgia once a year I breakout the VCR that is on its last breath and watch old family videos most of them from my aunt who recorded so many get togethers as she was freelance videographer for local news. I can only get through 15-20 minutes before I get depress and feel like crying. Man I'm sucha p***y.

Right, those old videos can bring joy and sadness.
About 1-2 years ago, I digitized my VCR and 8 mm camcorder tapes. I had kept a VCR for decades just to eventually digitize the old tapes but I had either sold away the camcorder or donated it decades ago. Through a neighborhood email group, I found an old retired man living not far from my house and he lent me his camcorder which I used to digitize the 8 mm tapes as well.
I have yet to watch them fully but I noticed an odd thing: Way back in the 90s when I was graduating from a university in America, I had given my camcorder to record me in the Commencement. The guy was a fellow student. Well, he recorded 'me' in the crowd but it was the wrong person: Another graduate and that wrong person was in 90% of the video sitting with others! I cut out that part after digitizing. Haha!
 
I'm a sucker for nostalgia once a year I breakout the VCR that is on its last breath and watch old family videos most of them from my aunt who recorded so many get togethers as she was freelance videographer for local news. I can only get through 15-20 minutes before I get depress and feel like crying. Man I'm sucha p***y.

Hey remember the "modern world" didn't start until like the year 2000 according to some members of PDF. :ROFLMAO:

Before then TVs cost like $50,000 and nobody had the money to buy anything...but then everything in the world changed. :rolleyes:

For instance I certainly had Nike/Reebok sneakers before they were "Made in China".
So did Marty McFly



Wait..wait..how is this possible?? There was no mass manufacturing back then...right?
 
Last edited:
I have yet to watch them fully but I noticed an odd thing: Way back in the 90s when I was graduating from a university in America, I had given my camcorder to record me in the Commencement. The guy was a fellow student. Well, he recorded 'me' in the crowd but it was the wrong person: Another graduate and that wrong person was in 90% of the video sitting with others! I cut out that part after digitizing. Haha!

Somewhere in there was the wrong 'me' sitting there. Showed the video to my wife and she said 'He doesn't look anything like you'. Anyway, of the good hour long video recorded on the camcorder, I was present in barely 2 minutes and even my name announced part was missed. Sigh!

1790953624466.png
 
Hey remember the "modern world" didn't start until like the year 2000 according to some members of PDF. :ROFLMAO:

Before then TVs cost like $50,000 and nobody had the money to buy anything...but then everything in the world changed. :rolleyes:

For instance I certainly had Nike/Reebok sneakers before they were "Made in China".
So did Marty McFly



Wait..wait..how is this possible?? There was no mass manufacturing back then...right?

I got my first brand name shoes (Nike) during 6th grade before that it was payless shoes for me even though we were a two-income family. Their logic was you outgrow your shoes fast and you wear them down quickly playing outside. At 6th grade that is when we preteens started noticing what we wear also my feet started to stink because of the cheap quality and changes in my body so pops gave in.
 
I got my first brand name shoes (Nike) during 6th grade before that it was payless shoes for me even though we were a two-income family. Their logic was you outgrow your shoes fast and you wear them down quickly playing outside. At 6th grade that is when we preteens started noticing what we wear also my feet started to stink because of the cheap quality and changes in my body so pops gave in.

The funny thing was the New Balance HQ was not even a mile from where I lived and nobody was wearing them. Even teens who worked there! :ROFLMAO:

Then I got married..and well..this happened:


yes, i even have the green electric mower like that guy...BUT the wife now cuts the lawn.

Anyway I know exactly what happened.
Some marketing guy at New Balance said:
"Hmm...i doubt working Dads have the time to go to the Mall and hit Sports Authority to buy $100+ sneakers and instead would likely just snatch a pair at Costco or Bjs or some other wholesale club as they are doing shopping...let's flood the wholesale clubs with New Balance sneakers"

The rest is history.
 
Last edited:
The funny thing was the New Balance HQ was not even a mile from where I lived and nobody was wearing them. Even teens who worked there! :ROFLMAO:

Then I got married..and well..this happened:


yes, i even have the green electric mower like that guy...BUT the wife now cuts the lawn.

Anyway I know exactly what happened.
Some marketing guy at New Balance said:
"Hmm...i doubt working Dads have the time to go to the Mall and hit Sports Authority to buy $100+ sneakers and instead would likely just snatch a pair at Costco or Bjs or some other wholesale club as they are doing shopping...let's flood the wholesale clubs with New Balance sneakers"

The rest is history.

NEVER! I will never wear New Balance sneakers and long white socks!
 
NEVER! I will never wear New Balance sneakers and long white socks!

Speaking of the 1980's...I said that about this REO Speedwagon song...I said I'd do Seppuku first!!


okay..it still is really bad..but I can tolerate it far more than other songs these days.
I had these hillbilly cousins in the 80s who would listen to this over and over. They even had guitars and amplifiers...riffing it.

Meanwhile I was listening to Van Halen
 
Last edited:
Speaking of the 1980's...I said that about this REO Speedwagon song...

I still remember this: So me being new in America in the 90s, two American friends brought up that 'Cant fight this feeling' song and said 'REO Speedwagon'. They said 'R.E.O' and I kept saying you mean 'ReeeOO'? They looked at each other and finally smiled and gave up. Haha!
Really, immigrants get into some funny situations; the good old tv show 'Perfect Strangers' was not totally fictional. I have many such memories. My friends chuckled when I told them that I didn't buy the 'PET' brand milk for years because I thought it was really for pets! Haha!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Pakistan Defence Latest

Latest Posts

Back
Top