Discussion: Electronic devices based attack in Lebanon

This explains why it is so easy for them to find senior leaders - pagers and the comms systems were compromised. Yes, Israel pulled this off and it is embarrasing. The number of affected people is small relative to the overall organisation and the injuries are mostly light. How will Hezb respond to this ?

Losing the security of the comms infrastructure will be more problematic than some of the injuries that have been seen.
Lebanon’s health minister, Firass Abiad, said that at least eight people had been killed and more than 2,700 others injured, including 200 who were in critical condition. Dr. Abiad said many of the victims had injuries to their faces, particularly the eyes, as well as to their hands and stomachs. One of those killed was an 8-year-old girl, he said.

I think we don't have the full picture yet but Lebanon leadership is shocked and in panic.

Communication network(s) are central to organization and its ability to function as a cohesive force. Disrupt these and the organization will not be able to fight effectively. This is a shocking development that shows that IDF have surprises up its sleeve.

If the lithium batteries can be made to discharge very rapidly, say by some sort of short circuiting, it may explode due to thermal runaway. It doesn't take much work to set fire to Li. Using it without causing a fire is the tricky thing. Think concentrated sulfuric or nitric acid.

See https://www.independent.co.uk/tech/...ll-fry-your-computer-in-seconds-a6696511.html

But short-circuiting would require physical change in the phone’s circuitry.

There is no way this can be done be remote hacking of course.

Before extolling the technological prowess of Israel people need to remember that Hamas and Hezbollah are fighting against the combined forces of Israel-US-NATO.

It the same as Russia not just fighting against Ukraine but the combined forces of Ukraine-US-NATO.

If it was just Israel it would have been history decades ago.
No, the war is largely limited to Israel and surrounding areas. NATO can field a much larger and stronger force like in 1991 but this is not the case and what it will be used against? Same in Ukraine. Let's not exaggerate things.

Before extolling the technological prowess of Israel people need to remember that Hamas and Hezbollah are fighting against the combined forces of Israel-US-NATO.

It the same as Russia not just fighting against Ukraine but the combined forces of Ukraine-US-NATO.

I was going to make the same point. The US, UK and other western states are involved in the genocide in Gaza providing intelligence and other covert support.

The axis of resistance has much less resources.

Regardless, if they have managed to kill, maim scores of Hezbollah fighters its a big failing like the hamas leader assassination.

But keep one thing in mind, israel is after optical attacks its very vulnerable right now and wants to show strength. Better would have been them eavesdropping into the conversations and getting critical intelligence using the so-called pagers.

I wonder if this is what 3 arab nations believed while invading Israel. Are you comparing Russia to Hezbollah?

But short-circuiting would require physical change in the phone’s circuitry.

There is no way this can be done be remote hacking of course.

I find it incredible pager companies over the years (decades actually) have not noticed/reported anything like this. This makes me think it was some recent design change for more sinister reasons.

You will find this illuminating. Alas, you may be right. But do read it.
I dont put much credence to kangaroo courts and investigations which are politically motivated.

But ok lets say the fire was deliberately started, you have to be a bigot to blame all muslims or islam for it.

I think we don't have the full picture yet but Lebanon leadership is shocked and in panic.
They don't really know at this stage whether Israel did it or some other party.

Even if Israel isn't responsible Lebanese politicians may decide to put the onus on Israel. Think of the alternatives: putting the blame on other foreigners may damage trade while blaming a domestic faction could start another civil war. It's not the first time Lebanese politicians have resorted to blaming Israel for their domestic ills.

The alternative to thinking this was something other than an attack would be to hold that this was some sort of manufacturing defect (which would mean blaming the Chinese) or mishandling.

IF Israel did this, then congratulations to them. Hopefully the IRGC is in the market for a good deal on pagers and simple smart phones. Perhaps there is a dealer in Lebanon who can hook them up.

Most likely it is second hand Motorolla pager. Pager is not produced any more.

I think mostly state soldiers using walkie talkie with enscripted technology.

Well maybe there has been an Israeli front selling rigged replacement batteries.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back