Azerbaijan has received first JF- Block 3 aircraft

These particular aircrafts could be just for display of performance & armaments. OR it could be possible that first few aircrafts are provided from the production line that was intended for PAF. As 320 is the very recent aircraft coming out of Kamra production line.

The official website of Azerbaijan President has given the following news. You can deduce whatever from it. To me it really looks that Azeris are aquiring JF-17s. I don't ever trust non-official sources. Following is the offical source:

To me it appears that this is part of a sales campaign by the PAF as yet. "Presented" is in that respect.

Azeris would want their JF-17s to be shown right from the time they're freshly produced and rolled out of the factory, rather than using PAF airframes, as these jets clearly are. They'd want their fin flash and roundels, their registration number, not a PAF one.

Yet to see a proper contract announcement and I see absolutely no reason why they would not announce it officially. This is clearly not that.

To me it appears that this is part of a sales campaign by the PAF as yet. "Presented" is in that respect.

Azeris would want their JF-17s to be shown right from the time they're freshly produced and rolled out of the factory, rather than using PAF airframes, as these jets clearly are. They'd want their fin flash and roundels, their registration number, not a PAF one.

Yet to see a proper contract announcement and I see absolutely no reason why they would not announce it officially. This is clearly not that.

First of all, PAF is really silent and slow on its sales campaign. All such hypes are never created by PAF. Rumors and everything (which often effect negatively) were created by fan boys. But this particular news is not created by "PAF" or even "fan boys". This is through President of Azeribaijan's official website. PAF cannot write anything on their website. IF you look at old news at Azerbaijan's president website they all say "such aircraft presented to the President" and when you google you found that Azerbaijan had infact purchased that aircraft. One similar example below:

But why then they still have PAF signs, PAF serial numbers and no Azerbaijan AF emblem?

I would prefer to wait …

Be less skeptical Mr.Deino, Sometimes ya gatta believe. :)

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Otherwise like all this fuss around "Pakistan will get J-31 in 2025" and "Egypt will get a production line" I only believe it when I see it ... and this is clearly a PAF JF-17C.

How do you know they didn't sell them Pakistan's own jets from inventory as an initial offering? rather than wait for newly built jets, perhaps Azerbaijan feel they need to put them in service as soon as possible.

There is nothing in the statement saying they have to get brand new jets from scratch, atleast for the first batch.

How do you know they didn't sell them Pakistan's own jets from inventory as an initial offering? rather than wait for newly built jets, perhaps Azerbaijan feel they need to put them in service as soon as possible.

There is nothing in the statement saying they have to get brand new jets from scratch, atleast for the first batch.
So pakistan is selling JF 17 Block 3 from its own inventory ? They have only 30 Block 3.
This will raise many questions..

So pakistan is selling JF 17 Block 3 from its own inventory ? They have only 30 Block 3.

If Azerbaijan is expecting a war imminently, it would make sense to divert some to them. The situation in the caucasus is somewhat tense with 3 conflicts currently present, the Israeli Iran conflict. The US Russia conflict and Azerbaijan's own issue with Armenia.

I would say that the situation is a lot more tense and imminent than something between Pakistan and India, so perhaps the Pakistanis were willing to get Azerbaijan up and running with aircraft as soon as possible, the statement even says the jets have been integrated into the Azerbaijani Air force.

Idk how they can have been integrated other than a direct transfer rather than waiting for newly built pieces from scratch, which usually takes longer.

If Azerbaijan is expecting a war imminently, it would make sense to divert some to them. The situation in the caucasus is somewhat tense with 3 conflicts currently present, the Israeli Iran conflict. The US Russia conflict and Azerbaijan's own issue with Armenia.

I would they that situation is a lot more tense and imminent than something between Pakistan and India, so perhaps the Pakistanis were willing to get Azerbaijan up and running with aircraft as soon as possible, the statement even says the jets have been integrated into the Azerbaijani Air force.

Idk how they can have been integrated other than a direct transfer rather than waiting for newly built pieces from scratch, which usually takes longer.

In case of imminent war 3 Nos wont do much. They will need a squadron instead.
IMO we are mixing up two things.
1. A deal for purchase of JF 17 is confirmed.
2. 3 Nos of PAF JF 17 is in Azerbaijan is for exhibition.
Two separate events are mixed up due to the timing..
@Deino

Did you read it? In case you missed, or dont have your reading glasses on, I have highlighted the most relevant part:

"The jets have already been integrated into the arsenal of Azerbaijan's Air Force."

That is from the president own website! Unless you Indians want to remain in the state of confusion and denial, please feel free to remain in such state. I dont see any confusion or ambiguity here.

As for the jets may or may not be from PAF own inventory is irrelevant. Maybe Azeri request was of urgent nature and PAF had to accommodate, we dont know. Bottom line is, JF17 have bagged another customer!

Azerbaijan has officially added JF-17C fighter jets, co-produced by Pakistan Aeronautical Complex (PAC) and China’s Chengdu Aircraft Corporation (CAC), to its military arsenal.

Azerbaijan’s President Ilham Aliyev inspected the newly acquired jets during a presentation at Baku’s Heydar Aliyev International Airport. He was accompanied by Azerbaijan’s Defense Minister Zakir Hasanov and senior military officials from Pakistan.

Azerbaijan has officially added JF-17C fighter jets, co-produced by Pakistan Aeronautical Complex (PAC) and China’s Chengdu Aircraft Corporation (CAC), to its military arsenal.

Azerbaijan’s President Ilham Aliyev inspected the newly acquired jets during a presentation at Baku’s Heydar Aliyev International Airport. He was accompanied by Azerbaijan’s Defense Minister Zakir Hasanov and senior military officials from Pakistan.

All of the news published today will be traced back to the official website of the President of Azerbaijan. The President of any country is a sufficiently official source to confirm the authenticity of this information. There can be mistakes in the news reporting but the news itself will be authentic.

I believe it is fully confirmed that Azerbaijan has JF-17s in their inventory; however, it is possible that one of the jets shown in the picture was sourced from the Pakistan Air Force (PAF) inventory. We have only seen images of 1 JF-17. We cannot ascertain whether the other JF-17s in the Azerbaijan Air Force also bear PAF colours.

I am positive that you will find JF-17 in Azerbaijan's Air Force colours after a couple of months.

In case of imminent war 3 Nos wont do much. They will need a squadron instead.
IMO we are mixing up two things.
1. A deal for purchase of JF 17 is confirmed.
2. 3 Nos of PAF JF 17 is in Azerbaijan is for exhibition.
Two separate events are mixed up due to the timing..
@Deino

So why does the official statement say

"The jets have already been integrated into the arsenal of Azerbaijan's Air Force."

whats that supposed to mean?

This isn't from a blog, this is the mouth piece of the govt, they release official statements to the press from this medium.

I'm reading other sources that its a mixed order of Jf-17Bs and Jf-17C. Maybe Pakistan had extra inventory or diverted inventory.

Although I do not and would not take this to be the case unless officially and explicitly confirmed, aircraft from existing inventory can be sent on lease to expedite the integration while the sold aircraft are still under production. Other air forces have done this or something similar to this before, including the IAF with it's first 2 batches of SU-30Ks.

PAF can set aside three block 3s without any issues, at least presently. Especially with the production line still running. Doesn't really raise any questions.

If the aircraft have indeed been purchased, then I would guess this aircraft to be there only for domestic Azeri PR and display purposes. Which would also mean that the Azeri examples are not ready and integrated yet. Had the flag been there, then I would have guessed it to be there for PAF's PR and display purposes.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back