Bangladesh army called in for crowd control at Jal concert in Dhaka

ghazi52

THINK TANK: CONSULTANT
Reaction score
Country of Origin
Country of Residence

Bangladesh army called in for crowd control at Jal concert in Dhaka

The performance had to be stopped midway for security reasons after being relocated to a shopping mall due to rain.

1727698967972.png

Images Staff
30 Sep, 2024

Jal marked its much-awaited return to Bangladesh after 14 years with its Legends of the Decade concert in Dhaka on Saturday but the event, hoped to be a triumphant moment for the band, was marred by an unruly crowd and managerial issues. The Bangladesh army was eventually called in to intervene and the band had to stop their performance midway.

Hundreds of fans arrived at the venue at Jamuna Future Park — a shopping mall in the capital. A temporary roof above the north court was removed, according to The Business Standard, adding to the chaos. Fans were crammed in every corner, even taking over the elevators.

The event also celebrated two decades since the release of Jal’s debut album Aadat, a record that changed the landscape of South Asian pop-rock. But the night wasn’t just about Jal. It also marked the comeback of Aurthohin, one of Bangladesh’s most beloved bands, to the stage after a year-long hiatus.

Photo: The Daily Star

The Legends of the Decade concert was originally slated to take place on September 27. It was postponed due to heavy rain hours before the event was supposed to be held, and then moved to a different venue altogether, per The Daily Star.

Finally, on Saturday, when it did take place, hundreds of people stormed in due to the lack of proper security, resulting in the event becoming “mired in chaotic disarray”, the Bangladeshi publication stated in its report.

“They brought an international band to a mall to perform,” Sakib, who had attended the concert with high hopes, told the outlet. “It was a total joke. Organisers started taking selfies with the band mid-show, while Jal had to ask 20 times for a light to be turned off.”

“I was shopping at JFP when I stumbled across the concert from the balcony,” Saadh, who works at a private bank in Dhaka, was quoted as saying. “I just stood there and enjoyed a better view than people who paid Tk 3,000.”

During the concert, there were multiple skirmishes reported between organisers and people who had tried and succeeded in entering forcefully, before the mall authorities had to call in the army.

“Throughout the first half of the concert, drinking water wasn’t provided to the bands, and I saw Conclusion rather irate because of it. It was hell in there,” The Daily Star photojournalist Thabit Al Bashar shared.

The coup de grâce was when Jal had to be stopped mid-act during their final set for an absurdly abrupt ending to the concert, leaving people furious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Pakistan Defence Latest

Back