'Black Myth: Wukong' release fires fervor for Shanxi scenic film sites

I don't think you even know the history of Unreal Engine.
LOL! Dude I played the original Unreal the week it came out.
I even chatted with Tim Sweeney during Epic's release countdown.

The first version was only different from the crowd because it used a low res texture when you're far away from the object only switches to high res up close.
Oh god you know absolutely nothing historically about videogame engines...typical late-to-the-game Chinese ignorance.

Even Quake (1996) was doing that before Unreal (1998). It's called mipmapping.

That's y the engine beat everybody else in rendering speed (everyone else just used the same texture for near and far objects).

Actually not. Quake ran a lot faster than the original Unreal. It could also push more polygons.
Quake 2 (1997) You couldn't run around this smoothly/fast in Unreal when it was released in 1998. The frame rate wasn't consistent. You'd be at 30 frames and then to 5. Unfortunately It was all over the place even with an expensive 3dfx Voodoo2 graphics card which annoyed "twitch" gamers (like myself).

Unreal added higher res and detail textures to make the environment look more high res when looked at up close. It also had the "fire" engine and procedural textures.

Woohoo, yeah it takes rocket science

Well its a lot more complicated now 30 years later than just mipmapping.

Algorithm optimization? Those kinds of technical talents, China has in abundance!
yet, for a country full of millions and millions of avid gamers you have no engines that are popular.

Tim Sweeney was only 21 when he founded Epic Games and started writing his game engine. He started with nothing. He even originally wrote the Unreal engine as a pure software based renderer...no 3D GPU acceleration needed!! He actually supported it for years. It ran slow though...hmm...I wonder if anybody has tried loading it in a modern CPU.

Edit: Ah somebody went back and tried the software renderer mode out...cool
Yes, it is Unreal Tournament (which was far more optimized) not the original Unreal.

Last edited:
Game is like when Genshin Impact came out, whatever China sh1ts out, The woke West will gobble it up whether its toilet brushes, cars or electric scooters. Woke West loves to destroy their own country and prop up China. im biggest woke west fan in the world.

Motion capture artist reveals martial arts in ‘Black Myth: Wukong’ combat

By Huang Lanlan
Published: Aug 21, 2024 11:36 PM

d878814b-9c5c-480f-b000-49705321dd52.jpeg

Yin Kai does motion capture for Black Myth: Wukong. Photo: Courtesy of Yin Kai

In a spacious room approximately five meters high, Yin Kai, dressed in a tight black suit covered with reflective dots, stands in front of a large vertical blue board, surrounded by dozens of cameras positioned in every corner of the room.

Slowly, Yin rises to his feet, rotates his arms, smirks arrogantly, and then performs a motion of pulling something out of his ear - a stick-like weapon that players of Black Myth: Wukong will see their monkey-shaped protagonist "The Destined One" pull out of his ear in the game, replicating Yin's exact motions.

A professional martial arts actor and one of China's most experienced motion capture artists, 28-year-old Yin embodied nearly 70 percent of the characters in the game.

Its breathtaking, highly-acclaimed combat was made possible by a powerful game engine, the efforts of game animators, and the equally important motion capture work. In an exclusive interview with the Global Times on Wednesday, Yin shared his experiences and thoughts of being part of this globally trending game.

"Look, this agile movement of rolling forward onto the steps and then leaping down with a split is very nimble, in line with the characteristics of a monkey," praised a user on popular Chinese sports and games site Hupu, who attached a video clip of the game with his comment.

As a big highlight of Black Myth: Wukong, the thrilling combat has captivated players worldwide with its martial arts-inspired movements that seamlessly blend with the game's combat effects, character personalities, and its overall style.

"The game uses traditional Chinese martial arts, especially monkey-style kung fu," wrote foreign game website GameBuzz on Tuesday.

"You will enjoy quick, acrobatic moves that show off Wukong's speed and skill."

All these can be largely attributed to the motion capture efforts of professional martial arts actors. A key member of the game's motion capture team, Yin himself designed the moves of many characters, from the player-controlled "The Destined One" to the powerful adversaries, or "bosses," and other various non-player characters.

"We tried to flexibly incorporate traditional martial arts moves into combat, taking into account the distinctive traits of characters, as well as the game's strong sense of combat and force," Yin told the Global Times.

"'The Destined One' is a monkey, so we added elements of the martial arts routine 'monkey staff' into his moves, such as one move in which he climbs onto an upright standing staff," he exampled.

Another example is Daoist Mi, an enemy in the game who holds a sword-like weapon in the first stage. "His moves were actually inspired by many swordplay techniques in our traditional martial arts," said Yin.

Motion capture for the game lasted six years, Yin told the Global Times.

He shared some of his most memorable moments during the capture sessions, such as him embodying the enemies Tiger Vanguard and Daoist Mi, or "an old monkey that guides the player at the beginning."

"For a few extremely complicated moves that humans can't do - such as performing multiple somersaults in the air - that will be handled by the animators."

Apart from the moves in fights, Yin also embodied lots of details of characters, including their facial expressions and subtle body movements, so as to make these virtual characters come to life.

Practicing martial arts since 5 years old, Yin had won many awards in martial arts competitions at a young age before he was admitted to the wushu (Chinese martial arts) performance major at the Shanghai University of Sport with the highest score in the country in 2015.

"The experience of systematically learning wushu performance allows me to better apply the basics of martial arts to the processes of shaping roles," Yin told the Global Times.

"Instead of mechanically copying the moves of traditional martial arts, I could be flexible in adapting those moves to the story."

Black Myth: Wukong is becoming a common topic of excited discussions among game players around the world. The surge in the number of players, social media posts and videos, show the big impact that this Chinese game is having on global enthusiasts.

Yin said he is excited to see excellent traditional Chinese culture, such as classic folklore, ancient buildings and martial arts, become better known and loved by more people all over the globe.

"Black Myth: Wukong is more than a game now, it contains many culture-level values," he told the Global Times. "For me, I feel very proud of being a part of the game to carry forward martial arts in a new way."

Black Myth Wukong: China SLAMS diversity claims
Even if you’re not a gamer, you would have heard about the massive international success of China’s first AAA game, Black Myth: Wukong, based on the classic Chinese tale Journey to the West.

The game has excited a lot of people, including many Chinese who feel that this kind of soft power is a perfect opportunity to show Chinese culture to the world, free from the confines of biased and negative mainstream media representations of the country.

But as with every success from China, there are detractors. Some in the industry are claiming the game lacks diversity, and that its developers are sexist.

How relevant are those smears? And why is Wukong such a massive success?

Today I’ll all those questions and more with my special guest, podcast host and media personality ‪@CarlZha‬

This is Reports on China, I’m Andy Boreham in Shanghai. Let’s get reporting!

Wukong is a nice game, but it doesn't really WOW me because of the use of Unreal Engine. Scenes rendered in UE5 look so bland/bad. There's a gameplay clip on YT with the setting sun hanging low in the sky and it looked so fake. I think I seen a better setting sun scene in Genshin Impact on my Android tablet. I blame it on UE5 for making it look fake.

Anyways, while I'm glad Wukong made BIG financial success worldwide, I'm NOT going to splurge on a modern gaming rig just to play UE5 games. That honor goes to a game with domestic engine, if China ever got her shiet together and make one to compete with UE and co...

When you get down to it, Black Myth: Wukong is just about his disciple following his footsteps by slaying the Gods.

The game had been in development for over 4 years and regularly publicized. This gave third party company Tencent plenty of time to prepare concurrent materials to ride its wave hype.

Tencent gets creative. A human face can be turned into Wukong's/monkey's with glowing runes in this 2024 summer release anime Slay the Gods:

face.png

face2.png

The distinguishing feature of Wukong: Black Myth is its use of Unreal Engine, which was first popularized for mass adoption through Unreal Tournament '99.

I swear to God, Tencent hired whoever composed the cyberpunk soundtrack for Unreal Tournament '99 to create the opening music for Slay the Gods (2024):

(click here to hear Slay the Gods soundtrack, apparently YT does not have this vid yet)

It's SURREAL how this anime opening score just seems to pop straight out of the Unreal Tournament universe!

So, if you guys finish playing Wukong: Black Myth and get bored, just watch this anime which was meant to:

1. Ride the hype wave from a game designed to feed the addiction of Slaying the Gods!
2. Pay tribute to Unreal Tournament '99 (aka Unreal Engine) via cyberpunk soundtrack.

I have the 4K RAW version of this anime, but I still watch it here (see link below) for the ENG subs (has crystal clear soundtrack better than BiliBili streaming encodes):

Last edited:
I have been hearing about this Successful game becoming popular

I have been hearing about this Successful game becoming popular
Not popular, it broke the sales charts to place #1 world wide except in certain China-hating US lapdog countries like South Korea...

Did anyone ever played Unreal Tournament '99? THAT was the game that made Unreal Engine popular back in 1999. Black Myth: Wukong is marketted as an Unreal Engine 5 game.

It's so hilarious Tencent pays tribute to Unreal Tournament '99 via similar soundtrack score in an anime about meeting/slaying gigantic Gods like in Wukong AAA gameplay!

There's even mention of Sun Wukong in the 1st episode of Slay the Gods (2024)!

Go have a sneak peak here (see link below). You'll love the Unreal Tournament-like music in the intro sequence (at least for me I loved it):

Last edited:
Yes I was surprised to see this game out for sale , so prominently

It was matter of time I have seen some Chinese , Sci-fi movies and they are now matching quality and resemble what ever is produced in USA

ME: What r u doing?

WUKONG PLAYER: I'm slaying (the ancient) Gods!

ME: In 2024?

Aha! Slay the Gods (2024) the anime!

Tencent is a seriously kick-arse company. Another angle view of the MC in Slay the Gods (2024) (Tencent attempting to imitate the looks of Sun Wukong via glowing runes to monkey-nize a human's face)

de20248ed4e4315fbbae9a190aba1958-4135042479.webp

Explore China's scenic spots with Wukong

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back