Breaking: Boeing wins US Navy next-gen fighter F/A-XX competition

Canards, that is sooo 5th gen,..
Canards arent some definition of 5th gen or 4th gen for that matter.
RCS management along with power generation are.

Knowing exactly what your RCS is at any time against ANY emitter allows you to have canards or otherwise especially if you skip the vertical tail entirely.
 
Canards arent some definition of 5th gen or 4th gen for that matter.
RCS management along with power generation are.

Knowing exactly what your RCS is at any time against ANY emitter allows you to have canards or otherwise especially if you skip the vertical tail entirely.

If Boeings designs do feature canards I’ll be shocked if they’re not aeroelastic. I can’t imagine they’ll be barn door style canards with heavy hydraulics.
 
Canards arent some definition of 5th gen or 4th gen for that matter.
RCS management along with power generation are.

Knowing exactly what your RCS is at any time against ANY emitter allows you to have canards or otherwise especially if you skip the vertical tail entirely.

Well all the Americans here said that the j20 was not a true 5th gen because it had canards… what goes around comes around I guess..
 
Well all the Americans here said that the j20 was not a true 5th gen because it had canards… what goes around comes around I guess..
I don't recall saying that though I've been accused by some here of not being an American.

Can you show me where so I stand corrected?
 
Dang - history repeats itself?
NG lost ATF because it was thought that it had enough work with the B-2 which was already behind while on paper the YF-23 had a lot of advantages over YF-22.

But who knows - maybe they are de-risking by relying on an already flying aircraft vs a yet to fly prototype from NG.

But this time NG managed B-21 very well (On budget and on schedule) unlike B-2 program.

It was said, Boeing design for F-47 was the most revolutionary. And if FA/XX is the navalised variant of it or something close, then perhaps this the best choice considering Boeing's NGAD prototype is flying for years. (like you said.)
 
I was rooting for Northrop but Boeing is the logical choice in the end. My understanding is they put a ton of investment up front in this program 10+ years ago. That has paid off.
Yeah after they lost the F-35 contract (rightfully so) they went all in on 6th gen knowing in couple decades DOD would be calling again. Congrats to Boeing for finally getting it right.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

  • Back
    Top