• English is the official language of this forum. Posts in other languages will receive a warning, except in threads where foreign languages are permitted.

Chinese Aircraft Carriers - Liaoning, Shandong, Fujian and the future

Luciferdd

Dec 27, 2023
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
49eca83dgy1hp9wikuepkj21hc0u0qaw (1).jpg

Corax

Dec 22, 2023
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
I'm really surprised this isn't nuclear powered given the extensive experience the Chinese have with nuclear powered naval vessels. I get the whole iterative approach to design evolution, but they could have skipped a conventionally powered AC of this size, especially given its significant power requirements given the EMALs.

Hendarto

Jan 11, 2024
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
I'm really surprised this isn't nuclear powered given the extensive experience the Chinese have with nuclear powered naval vessels. I get the whole iterative approach to design evolution, but they could have skipped a conventionally powered AC of this size, especially given its significant power requirements given the EMALs.
Too much of a risk France tried to do it before their nuclear reactor matured by using a string of nuclear reactors originally designed for submarines and They had headaches with teething problems. Plus Fujian's intended operation is most likely West Pacific or South China Sea within the protection of the Chinese land-based jet. I have no doubt the next iteration of type 004 will be nuclear

The Charles de Gaulle, France's flagship aircraft carrier, has also had other problems, including:
  • Vibration on its propellor shafts
  • An electrical fault in its propulsion system in 2010
  • Excessive noise
  • Chemical leaks
  • Massive delays
  • Propeller falling off
  • Drive system fatigue
The carrier has undergone two major periods of refits and upgrades, in 2007 and 2017, which involved refueling the nuclear reactor and upgrading the support and communications systems.

ahtan_china

Mar 15, 2024
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
Too much cutting edge technology, such as electromagnetic catapults, integrated masts Used on the Fujian , it is estimated that the next aircraft carrier will be nuclear powered.
;) ;)

Hendarto

Jan 11, 2024
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
Anyone doubt? China's ability to build nuclear power ships read this

huanghong

Dec 26, 2023
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
Anyone doubt? China's ability to build nuclear power ships read this

It's a weird design and I don't think most ports would be willing to let a nuclear powered cargo ship in
This is just a PPT so far and may never actually be built

Hendarto

Jan 11, 2024
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
It's a weird design and I don't think most ports would be willing to let a nuclear powered cargo ship in
This is just a PPT so far and may never actually be built
Why not I don't see any problem Russia had a fleet of nuclear icebreaker ships for a long time and they travel all over the world

maverick

Feb 8, 2009
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
A lot of new technology is being developed for the Fujian, many of which are at the cutting edge of naval aviation and new to China. This includes the electromagnetic catapult system, integrated power system, the J-35 fifth generation carrier-based fighter, the KJ-600 carrier AWAC etc. A nuclear carrier is also much more expensive than a conventional one. Putting everything together, there is a lot of risk with building a nuclear ship. With all these new technologies, it is best to start conservative and build in nuclear propulsion with future vessels.

This is to say nothing of factors like China's relative need for a nuclear-powered carrier given its strategic posture, and how perceptions of the risk environment and timing of future conflict would permit a nuclear ship to become combat ready in time, given it will take longer to build.
the total cost will go down as more and more carriers will be built. How many are planned and how many are under construction?

nang2

Dec 27, 2023
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
the total cost will go down as more and more carriers will be built. How many are planned and how many are under construction?
That is building cost per unit. The operation cost would only go up as it takes on active duties.

Soldier35

Dec 26, 2023
The new Chinese aircraft carrier Fujian type 003 went to sea and began its first sea trials. Fujian Type 003 is China's third aircraft carrier and the first designed and built by China. Construction of the 4th aircraft carrier has already begun. Unlike previous aircraft carriers, the ship is equipped with three electromagnetic catapults to launch aircraft. The Fujian aircraft carrier has a length of 316 meters and a displacement of about 80,000 tons, the power plant with a capacity of 220,000 hp is equipped with steam turbines and has 8 boilers. The ship will presumably carry 50 J-15 aircraft, possibly fifth-generation J-31 fighters as well as UAVs. Upon completion of the test, the formation of the third Chinese aircraft carrier group, consisting of Type 55 destroyers and Type 54 frigates, will begin.

Hendarto

Jan 11, 2024
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
What a great view I hope the test will be successful

More photo

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Pakistan Defence Latest

Latest Posts