• English is the official language of this forum. Posts in other languages will receive a warning, except in threads where foreign languages are permitted.

F22 raptor pulling up a thrust vector

j_hungary

Professional
Oct 24, 2012
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
As someone who lives near a airport I can understand your pain.
Yeah, especially I was living in the designated "Army" quarter near the base, and these navy dude having an open season on us grunts, especially so during the Army-Navy game. They did really stupid stunt just to spike us, I remember one year they did a sonic boom about 300ft above ground, triggering every car alarm on my street.....

Oscar

Mar 28, 2009
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
A one-time move....if he ever does that in combat and doesn't kill his opponent, he's a dead man. Look at his energy state after that move, barely flying with controlled flight and very low airspeed.
Which is why it’s not something the pilot “activates “ but rather is a function of the flight computer deciding what the pilot wants to do and using whatever control aspects it has to do it. Most of the time it wont go thrust vector at all because it can out turn and out rate anything out there without needing it.

SecularNationalist

Elite Member
Feb 21, 2015
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
Yeah, especially I was living in the designated "Army" quarter near the base, and these navy dude having an open season on us grunts, especially so during the Army-Navy game. They did really stupid stunt just to spike us, I remember one year they did a sonic boom about 300ft above ground, triggering every car alarm on my street.....
I also suffer from 21 cannon salute. Whenever some foreign dignitary arrives they give him a 21 cannon salute and that shakes my whole house upside down.

Corax

Dec 22, 2023
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
Which is why it’s not something the pilot “activates “ but rather is a function of the flight computer deciding what the pilot wants to do and using whatever control aspects it has to do it. Most of the time it wont go thrust vector at all because it can out turn and out rate anything out there without needing it.

Yes, TVC comes into its own in post-stall maneuvering, which is why some have questioned whether it has any real value in BFM/ACM, and why the Europeans and the Americans have largely not seen much use for it, compared with the Russians.

Oscar

Mar 28, 2009
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
Yes, TVC comes into its own in post-stall maneuvering, which is why some have questioned whether it has any real value in BFM/ACM, and why the Europeans and the Americans have largely not seen much use for it, compared with the Russians.
It’s a last minute hallelujah and as far as F-22 is concerned it is sometimes considered for preservation of RCS when making maneuvers.

Again, the F-22 TVC or rather how the aircraft is controlled is very unique (maybe not so anymore) compared to traditional aircraft.

That Cray level supercomputer on board is actually tuned to a flight model that is constantly thinking of what needs to move the air to make xyz happen instead of just “pilot asked for a turn so lets move the aileron or elevator deflection” - if a certain climbing turn means a combination of its flaperons working with the rudder it will do that instead of ever moving the elevator.

Russian aircraft haven’t reached that sophistication yet in operational aircraft so far apparently other than perhaps the Su-57.

TVC is a manual trigger - and the M or SM variety use a 2D nozzle to do it which creates much more drag because it does it off plane.

Users who are viewing this thread