Google Earth Images Reveal Larger, More Powerful Indian Nuclear Submarine showcasing it's Vertical Launch Tubes

DDG-80

Reaction score
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
1713076406524.png
8 SLBM tube covers is clearly visible and a few more behind the sail and engineering space

Recent satellite imagery reveals India's latest nuclear-powered ballistic missile submarine (SSBN), the S4, in it's outer dry dock, with it's shed open for the first time. Analysts are scrutinizing the images for insights into its potential capabilities, which suggest significant upgrades over its predecessors in the Arihant class.

The S4, the third of India's Arihant-class SSBNs, was launched in November 2021. The newly exposed submarine in its dry dock appears notably larger than its sister vessels, S2 and S3. Experts believe this increased size translates into a greater capacity for submarine-launched ballistic missiles (SLBMs).
20240414_121053.jpg

With a total of 4 Arihant class ballistic missile submarines (SSBN) planned, the sea-based deterrent force is now an established reality. These submarines are being supported by large-scale investment in command and control systems that include long-range communication facilities, dedicated hardened bases, and the appropriate support vessels. It is now clear that India is committed to achieving a nuclear triad, which would be in accordance with standard nuclear warfighting doctrine wrote international defence analyst Richard Sterk.

Visible launch tubes suggest the S4 could carry double its predecessors' complement of SLBMs. The exact number remains classified, but analysts speculate it may be equipped to carry either 24 K-15 missiles (1,000+ km range) or 8 K-4 missiles (4,000 km range). This potential increase in firepower represents a significant development in India's underwater nuclear deterrent.

Imagery has also captured the S4* (Star), another Arihant-class submarine under construction. Both the S4 and S4* are likely designed to accommodate both K-15 and K-4 missiles, giving India's Navy strategic flexibility. Its addition to India's naval fleet further underscores the nation's commitment to strengthening its strategic defense capabilities.

I guess this is INS Arighat.....

don't be stunned if much larger S series comes up

Their wont be any more Boomers after the 4 Arihant class subs, at least for another 20 years.

India will shift the production to SSNs capable of carrying 16-24 Brahmos
Indian navy had planned for a fleet of 6 SSN and 4 SSBNs , apart from a fleet of 18 SSKs

We only have 1 shipyard ie Ship Building Center Visakhapatnam which is capable of building Nuclear Subs .
Given the lead time it takes to build these, by the time we get the last SSN, it will be time to think about replacing the first of Arihant class subs

Their wont be any more Boomers after the 4 Arihant class subs, at least for another 20 years.

Indian navy had planned for a fleet of 6 SSN and 4 SSBNs , apart from a fleet of 18 SSKs

We only have 1 shipyard ie Ship Building Center Visakhapatnam which is capable of building Nuclear Subs .
Given the lead time it takes to build these, by the time we get the last SSN, it will be time to think about replacing the first of Arihant class subs
Quite wrong analysis tbh
s5 will enter production in 2027 and vishakapatnam docks are already finalising construction of a big dry dock for s5
also see this the testing of s5 designs
1713332514708.png
india is prioritizing ssbn and project 75i and 76 over the ssn program

Quite wrong analysis tbh
s5 will enter production in 2027 and vishakapatnam docks are already finalising construction of a big dry dock for s5
also see this the testing of s5 designs
View attachment 34429
india is prioritizing ssbn and project 75i and 76 over the ssn program

You have to share a more credible source other than an article from a fanboy site based on a youtube video.

You have to share a more credible source other than an article from a fanboy site based on a youtube video.
i can share sat images for reference of the new dry dock but as you know how secretive the ssbn program is you aint getting much info officially
1713335368307.png
this was the priliminary design for the s5 while the one ive share before is the latest
s2 was launched in 2009
s3 in 2017
s4 was launched in 2021 secretly (seen in google maps)
so s4* would be launched next year or after it (my guess)
and given the new drydock the construction of s5 is due for 2026-2027 since butget is already given
officially all of what ive written hasnt have any source so take my words as my calculated guess

We might not build another N Sub of Arihant size as production line will be used for developing SSNs and future S series SSBNs will be much bigger size i.e., double the size of S4.

There is no need to shift production line instead we have built newer, longer & wider bay for S series SSBNs, production of SSBN, SSN, SSK will go on parallel.

Do you have any credible source for your claim ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back