HAL LCA Tejas: Updates, News & Discussions

PS ... concerning an early Tejas concept developed by MBB/Germany
View attachment 66558

via
Dr. Georges Bridel
Managing Director of ALR Aerospace Project Development Group,
Activities with ALR: Collaboration with Messerschmitt-Bölkow-Blohm MBB (1984 - 1985) on the development of the LCA Light Combat Aircraft (India)
Does the design look anything like current LCA !

Does the design look anything like current LCA !

Has anyone said, this IS the Tejas? All I said was, it was an early concept in preparation for the LCA by MBB and yes, it features certain details the alter Tejas still has albeit not the double detla wing.

Did you ever notice how much any type different in early concepts to the final version? The best example is the Su-27!

Has anyone said, this IS the Tejas? All I said was, it was an early concept in preparation for the LCA by MBB and yes, it features certain details the alter Tejas still has albeit not the double detla wing.

Did you ever notice how much any type different in early concepts to the final version? The best example is the Su-27!
So what exactly is your point here ? .
U started ur BS with LCA having foreign parts.
Then moved to foreign collaboration
And Now this.
What exactly you want to say ?

So what exactly is your point here ? .
U started ur BS with LCA having foreign parts.
Then moved to foreign collaboration
And Now this.
What exactly you want to say ?

You simply don‘t want or cannot understand and in fact it wasn‘t me who started this „BS“ … by the way, its not BS but a fact: The Tejas has a very high content of foreign part.

But my point was, it was originally not even an Indian design since all initial concepts & configurations were done by German, French and US companies. Therefore I won‘t call it BS, but at least I question to portray the Tejas as being a totally indigenous fighter. That‘s all and that‘s undeniable.

Spreading BS like calling the Saab Gripen not a Swedish design since it was tested in US wind tunnels or the Eurofighter „should“ not be a European design since it uses the Sniper or a Martin Baker EJ-seat was your part on this comedy.

You simply don‘t want or cannot understand and in fact it wasn‘t me who started this „BS“ … by the way, its not BS but a fact: The Tejas has a very high content of foreign part.

But my point was, it was originally not even an Indian design since all initial concepts & configurations were done by German, French and US companies. Therefore I won‘t call it BS, but at least I question to portray the Tejas as being a totally indigenous fighter. That‘s all and that‘s undeniable.

Spreading BS like calling the Saab Gripen not a Swedish design since it was tested in US wind tunnels or the Eurofighter „should“ not be a European design since it uses the Sniper or a Martin Baker EJ-seat was your part on this comedy.
1. The foreign content in Tejas or Gripen is almost same. May be a bit more in Tejas.
2. The American, german, french or any one else were not involved in actual conceptualization of LCA. Their help was taken in initial phases to understand the basics of a modern 4th Gen fighter plane.
Help of Dassault was taken to train HAL engineers in CATIA.
LM was involved in Fly By Wire development but that was stopped after 1998 nuclear test.
Swedish took similar help from their partners for Gripen and its predecessors like : Viggen.

But we never saw you name calling calling Swedish !!
So yes you are the one crapping BS all over the thread.

PS ... concerning an early Tejas concept developed by MBB/Germany
View attachment 66558

via
Dr. Georges Bridel
Managing Director of ALR Aerospace Project Development Group,
Activities with ALR: Collaboration with Messerschmitt-Bölkow-Blohm MBB (1984 - 1985) on the development of the LCA Light Combat Aircraft (India)

Yes and it wasn't taken up. So where is the question of THIS proposal by MBB being in anyway related to the later design of the LCA which was done by HAL engineers with Dassault consultants?

Neither is the Gripen a Saab design, ok? BAe's P106B is the progenitor for it. Now what will you call that?

The entire Gripen FCS was designed, developed and tested in the US and then ported over to the Gripen prototypes for testing.

Eventually the FCS had multiple issues including a spectacular crash of a prototype due to excess control stick oscillation and another due to a Gripen entering the wake vortices of another fighter during training.

BAe P106, is in some ways the progenitor of the Saab Gripen. Obviously it is not a direct carbon copy of the P106, but after many more wind tunnel tests and studies were conducted, the P106 configuration was tweaked and modified to baselined with other Saab designs, get to the final design that became the Gripen.

BTW, all Gripen wind tunnel tests were done in the US at Rockwell.

img_9735.jpg

Around 1980, British Aerospace was looking for a partner for its P.106 concept. It wished to use cutting-edge technologies, including fly-by-wire control and a carbon fibre wing, to offer a viable alternative to the correctly predicted commercial dominance of the F-16. The F-16 had great potential, and was being aggressively promoted by the US, but there was room in the market for another combat aircraft for nations not wishing to sacrifice the advantages of maintaining some indigenous design and production capabilities.

Sweden was looking for a Viggen replacement at the time, and Saab was interested in learning more about the P.106. The BAe P.106 was also a canard delta of similar configuration to the nascent Gripen.

In the early 80s, a technical exchange between Saab Linkoping and BAe Warton enabled engineers to talk and share ideas. The P.106 effort was led by Jim Fletcher, who had led the Short SC.1 VTOL test aircraft project of the 1960s.

Saab decided to pursue JAS 39 Gripen as a national effort, but was impressed by the British carbon fibre wing design. In 1982 it issued a contract with BAE for six sets of wings for the Gripen prototype aircraft. Bae and Marconi-Elliot was also brought in to help resolve early problems with the flight control system.

Read this fascinating article to see how "In this business ‘everybody talk to each other’ quite frequently, and Saab had dialogues with several other industries including collaborative technology studies..

Pretending that only HAL took help from others and that Saab did all it's design and development work on it's own is fooling oneself.

Are you blind or lives in delusional? It's almost identical design as your out of this universe LCA

Did you not read the para that was posted on the previous page? Several configurations were studied and one of them was the MBB configuration. Dassault, BAe, MBB, Dornier were other contenders and a final choice was made based on compound delta, without canards, to simplify the design and keep costs low. It was never a simple, "lets just go with the MBB or BAe design".

This basic, simplistic way of looking at things is childish. Shows a lack of any real industrial or engineering experience.

1. The foreign content in Tejas or Gripen is almost same. May be a bit more in Tejas.
2. The American, german, french or any one else were not involved in actual conceptualization of LCA. Their help was taken in initial phases to understand the basics of a modern 4th Gen fighter plane.
Help of Dassault was taken to train HAL engineers in CATIA.
LM was involved in Fly By Wire development but that was stopped after 1998 nuclear test.
Swedish took similar help from their partners for Gripen and its predecessors like : Viggen.

But we never saw you name calling calling Swedish !!
So yes you are the one crapping BS all over the thread.

If anyone asks how much of the Gripen is of UK origin, well you have the answer and the source is Aviation Week and Space Tech.

30% of the Gripen C/D was of UK origin. Now with the radar for Gripen E also being of UK origin, the content may be even higher.
The agreement harks back to the late 1990s, when BAE Systems and Saab formed Gripen International in a bid to market C/D model aircraft to several countries. At the time, the C/D had around 30% UK content.

“We will work with our industries to identify, plan and deliver third-country export opportunities for UK and Swedish businesses and seek further bilateral opportunities for reciprocal foreign direct investment,” the agreement says.

The arrangement appears to highlight the significant UK content in the fighter including the Raven ES-05 active electronically scanned array radar, which was developed by Leonardo UK, and its Martin-Baker-developed ejection seat.

The Gripen E also makes extensive use of UK-developed weapons from MBDA including the Meteor beyond-visual range air-to-air missile and will include the Spear 3 and electronic-warfare functions.

UK Sweden agree to cooperate on Gripen E international sales

Various helmet types seen on Tejas pilots. 3 of French origin and then the Elbit DASH HMDS.

BTW, one amazing fact- the 2 top pics of the pilots with the Gueneau helmets are both Air Marshals, Air Chief Marshal RKS Bhaduaria and Air Chief Marshal AP Singh. Both were current on the Tejas Mk1 single seaters and both were Tejas test pilots at one time in their career. They knew the Tejas inside out.

Testament to their medical fitness to be deemed capable of flying single seaters when they are that old.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back