India commissions 2nd nuclear-powered ballistic missile submarine INS Arighat into service

Arihant : Topmost jain Mythological figure..
It does mean : Destroyer of Enemies..But the enemies here are your own weakness.
Yes but Iif you look at whole series, probably Navy had already thought about series, and Arihant being the first one got associated with Jainism.
Ari means Danav, Rakshas or Jinn bro.... Daman means killing, ghat means killing and hant means killing only but better words are vinash or destruction.....
I think it's Enemy only. Sanskrit was mandatory till 10th in school.
But nonetheless cool naming scheme.
Arivadh. Arijit. Etc upcoming

India needs to demonstrate by operating in philippines sea and south China sea ...

Till than - it will be half cooked

Operating in indian ocean is not challenging for IN.

I see, so do countries "demonstrate" operation of their SSBNs?

This is significant.

It will take one more (third SSBN) to ensure credible deterrence from a military lens. One on patrol, one in transit and one in maintenance.

@Quwa @RescueRanger @Oscar
Once we have all 5 then situation will further improve..... apart from that we need SSNs too which I believe can be achieved quite fast looking at the progress in SSBN and experience we gained in this field....

Once we have all 5 then situation will further improve..... apart from that we need SSNs too which I believe can be achieved quite fast looking at the progress in SSBN and experience we gained in this field....
The SSBNs are fast now but there was a 15-20 year gestation period before we got here.

I see, so do countries "demonstrate" operation of their SSBNs?
Yes, since India is a new player in this game.

Most important parts of china is located at their eastern side's.

USN, Russian, france, UK or such most experience countries don't need it.

If IN wants to showcase their Capabilities than their should be one video by demonstrating the ability to be patrolling near by Phillipines and south china sea.

India needs SSBN to patrolling near the Chinese lands during the critical time at the safe distance. Peacefull time Can be stay in Indian Ocean.

Whatever you called it - propaganda videos.. etc..

Last edited:
The SSBNs are fast now but there was a 15-20 year gestation period before we got here.
Yes and valuable experience we gained in this gestation period will help us narrow down the period required in SSN building...

Yes and valuable experience we gained in this gestation period will help us narrow down the period required in SSN building...
What are your thoughts on SSGN?

What are your thoughts on SSGN?
If budget allows India must go for SSGN with variety of cruise missiles like Brahmos with 1500 and Nirbhay with 1500 plus kms with nuclear warheads..... my God what a naval force it will be.....

India needs to demonstrate by operating in philippines sea and south China sea ...

there is a long way to go
  • you need a fleet of 3N SSBNs to have N SSBNs in the ocean at the same time
  • you need SLBM with sufficient range
  • you need to get nukes small enough to fit on a SSBN
  • you need secure communication links to order nuclear strikes
I assume work is required on all these areas

Yes, since India is a new player in this game.

Most important parts of china is located at their eastern side's.

USN, Russian, france, UK or such most experience countries don't need it.

If IN wants to showcase their Capabilities than their should be one video by demonstrating the ability to be patrolling near by Phillipines and south china sea.

India needs SSBN to patrolling near the Chinese lands during the critical time at the safe distance. Peacefull time Can be stay in Indian Ocean.

Whatever you called it - propaganda videos.. etc..

OK, forget I asked.

Maybe you should look up if these exist for even the navies you left out like Russia and China....and why.

i.e the basic reason why even a USN SSBN onboard documentary (being the only navy confident to do those along with maybe the RN to some degree)... would never show work product regd location....or location signalling/broadcast.

You do realise how actual information is conveyed between navies in first place where it matters?

A video purporting to be patrolling (when that can never be proven to be some place in the first place).... come on, put 2 and 2 together first....when IN makes sure for its reason the pictures released to begin with regd SSBNs are all grainy to begin with.

Last edited:
If budget allows India must go for SSGN with variety of cruise missiles like Brahmos with 1500 and Nirbhay with 1500 plus kms with nuclear warheads..... my God what a naval force it will be.....

Naval Ship Building is a long term and expensive process

Their are other requirements that need to be fulfilled

As far as SSGN is concerned
India is unlikely to order dedicated SSGN subs
What will happen is that INS Arihant and Arighaat could replace their 750km range K15 missiles with 800 km Range Brahmos sometime in 2030s when all 5 SSBN are inducted
India ordered 36 K15 missiles from BDL in 2016, these missiles have a 20 year shelf life and are unlikely to remain active beyond 2036

Once all 5 SSBNs under the ATV project are inducted, Ship Building Center Vizag will move on to SSNs , 2 of which are planned to be built in the first phase followed by another 4

By the time the last of the SSNs enter service around mid 2040s it will be time for INS Arihant and INS Kalvari to retire

This is SSBN. They do not show up anywhere and hit immobile targets from very far away. I think you meant SSN.

Users who are viewing this thread

Pakistan Defence Latest

Back