India refuses to be drawn out on possible demand for Sheikh Hasina’s extradition

Given BD ask for extradition,
I don't think a formal request has been made.

Yunus government is recognized and fromal.
Nope. It is an interim government, intended to restore peace and harmony, not an elected government.

Furthermore, extradition is not a light matter. It has to be justified, with a legal argument; it is not the power to issue an arrest warrant binding on India, it is a route to identify individuals or groups against whom the requesting party has legal proceedings pending, proceedings that cannot be further processed without the presence of the indicted individuals - note that an indictment is usually needed.

It will be interesting to see when/how India can engineer her return to Bangladesh as some kind of saviour. That is the nature of politics in Pakistan/Bangladesh - where democracy is not very mature.

It will be interesting to see when/how India can engineer her return to Bangladesh as some kind of saviour. That is the nature of politics in Pakistan/Bangladesh - where democracy is not very mature.

They will try it through Hasina's daughter, who is also in India working for WHO (courtesy of her mother's connection).

Unless BAL is banned, which they should be but unlikely to happen, they will make a comeback in a few years time, unfortunately.

Not the same thing. Pakistan and BD has different context and set up. It is usually the trait of pak leaders going into exile and than coming back as 'saviour'. Nothing similar happened in BD.

A Hasina in Bhatat is more beneficial than a Hasina in BD for it'll continously remind the folks what they're up to....

@Nilgiri @Joe Shearer Given we already have a thread, I thought I ask you two. From your pov, should India extradite Hassina to BD if BD asks for it? (Assuming I don't have to argue the fact that, she is a criminal)

I rather not pass comment on it for now. I prefer to watch the matter and judge later, for reasons Joe brings up....if and when BD makes that request rather than hint at it. I don't like hinting regd these matters, its unprofessional.

Bangladesh interim govt has to prove some things regarding cohesion with its judiciary and legislature, demonstrable functioning of the constitutional checks and balances there (rather than what has gone on instead with even the supreme court lately)....that are early days w.r.t interim govt. You can't have a genuine extradition request if a mob forcing a chief justice to resign is still very recent. So that all has to be fixed, given time and credibility to muster again.

Otherwise it come's off as superficial without mandate from BD people (many of which have BAL loyalties) and sufficient genuine constitutional working order in the state.

Users who are viewing this thread

Pakistan Defence Latest

Back