Indian light tank Zorawar begins trials, expected to be ready for user tests by April

You guys have a good truck industry. Can't the Tata, Mahindra, Ashok build a fully indigenous tank engine ?

Trucks need 300hp engines. These mini tanks need 800hp engines.Big difference in the category.
Btw Mahindra has indigenous truck- engines in 300hp range, and Ashok Leyland+ DRDO have a project underway for 600hp engine.

And DRDO has own project for full-size tank category 1500 hp as you've already seen above.

Turret will be supplied by Kalyani

The turret of the Zorawar light tank presented an even more challenging task. But DRDO officials say that, once it was decided to indigenise the turret, their experience in designing the Arjun tank turret proved invaluable.
Furthermore, designing the 105 mm tank gun proved well within the capabilities of the Kalyani Group. The Pune-based forgings giant is growing its metallurgical expertise, along with its role in developing the indigenous 155 mm Advanced Towed Artillery Gun System.

I KNOW.

The Acceptance of Necessity agreement signed by DAC on August 2022 approved the construction of Zorawar tanks to form 7 tank regiments, of which 1 will be armed by 45 tanks built by foreign partners, where the remaining 6 will "supplied" by indian firms. The first tanks are supposed to be delivered by this April.

The production should be classified as a Make-I type procurement, where the subcomponents are assembled in india to make for the complete subsystem.

This firsts of the Zorawar will be armed with Belgium made Cockrell turrets, and the following Zorawar will be armed with Indian made Cockrell turrets, they are still the same turret with the same design. Unless you think they have the time to come up with a brand new design, which may take decades as it has been...

Too early to make any of these assessments, given there is no credible public info on how the tank even looks (L&T showed a different model DRDO showed a different model), up until a few days ago we all thought it will have the Belgian 105mm turret but as it turns out Zorawar will use a DRDO designed turret
We have enough information to know most things about this tank, unlike Arjun, this tank is and always have been a fast-track procurement project to make use of readily available shelf systems, the time tables are incredibly tight.

The DRDO model should be the closest to the final product, as the other options, MPF by US and K9 Chassis by South Korea, have already been ruled out as being overweight. The chassis have driver in the front right supposedly next to fuel and secondary ammo rack, turret ring in the middle, and a back engine compartment, very similar to Kaplan MT, just even lighter.
1705482793036.png

I think what DRDO mean by a DRDO designed turret is that they will make limited alterations to the original design, namely a remote weapon station servicing a NSVT HMG by Bharat Electronics, and a add-on ATGM launcher on the turret side fielding ATGM5 by L&T instead of using the Falarick Tandem gun launched ATGM that Cockrell 105 is originally designed to use... (North Korea approves)

We have enough information to know most things about this tank, unlike Arjun, this tank is and always have been a fast-track procurement project to make use of readily available shelf systems, the time tables are incredibly tight.

The DRDO model should be the closest to the final product, as the other options, MPF by US and K9 Chassis by South Korea, have already been ruled out as being overweight. The chassis have driver in the front right supposedly next to fuel and secondary ammo rack, turret ring in the middle, and a back engine compartment, very similar to Kaplan MT, just even lighter.
View attachment 12085

I think what DRDO mean by a DRDO designed turret is that they will make limited alterations to the original design, namely a remote weapon station servicing a NSVT HMG by Bharat Electronics, and a add-on ATGM launcher on the turret side fielding ATGM5 by L&T instead of using the Falarick Tandem gun launched ATGM that Cockrell 105 is originally designed to use... (North Korea approves)
Rights hai kaya DRDO ke paas Cockerill Turret ko modify karne ke ????

Where the Cockerill turrets used to be manufactured in India before modification ???

Rights hai kaya DRDO ke paas Cockerill Turret ko modify karne ke ????

Where the Cockerill turrets used to be manufactured in India before modification ???
errr, I'm assuming that you are asking which cooperations in India will make the indigenous version of the Cockerill turret, in which case I'm assuming it's L&T.
If you are asking which cooperation will make the cockerill turret before domestic production, it's just called John Cockerill company as its trading name, formerly a part of Cockerill-Sambre.

errr, I'm assuming that you are asking which cooperations in India will make the indigenous version of the Cockerill turret, in which case I'm assuming it's L&T.
If you are asking which cooperation will make the cockerill turret before domestic production, it's just called John Cockerill company as its trading name, formerly a part of Cockerill-Sambre.
Who has manufacturing rights along with "Rights to Modify" the designs of John Cockerill in India.

Case closed for your Bhatole baaji now get lost.

Who has manufacturing rights along with "Rights to Modify" the designs of John Cockerill in India.

Case closed for your Bhatole baaji now get lost.
Well if that's meant to be a personal attack at least make it understandable

Like I said in previous posts, domestic production of Zorawar is a joint venture between L&T and DRDO.

As for who have the rights to modify it, the "Cockerill 105 turret" has always been marketed as an engineering solution instead of a self-contained product - Belgium clearly don't produce all the sub systems contained in a modular turret, such as fire control, combat management, communications, etc. They themselves gather components from contractors and present an assembled template, which is already marketed as a versatile, open-architecture system ready for customization, which India very rightly can take advantage of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back