Right.
I can't believe people are jumping on that poor young girl! Vast majority go into the US military because of the lifelong benefits they get! The idea is to ride it out, try to avoid being in combat zone, and then get out as 'veterans'. Apply for jobs in America and you will often see Veterans preferences.
Just a few years of 'service' then you are gold! I personally have known relatives who never saw any combat or danger and one of them was fat ass lazy wife-abuser uncle (through marriage) getting great medical care and even got a funeral with military honors (people were shaking their heads at the funeral. LOL!). Then another one I know is a cousin (through marriage) who drank so much that had liver cirrohosis and get preferential liver transplant treatment through Veteran's benefits; he too was never ever in harms way in 'service'. Then there is another uncle (through marriage) whose only 'service' was repairing some machinery at Panama Canal. He too got good benefits as he became demented in old age and the govt covered a good bit of his last months/years in a nursing home.