• English is the official language of this forum. Posts in other languages will receive a warning, except in threads where foreign languages are permitted.

Major changes IPC going away BNS is going away.

Sharma Ji

Elite Member
Sep 18, 2012
Country of Origin
Country of Residence

vsdoc

Elite Member
Jul 8, 2009
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
Thanks, but labma vid hai, will watch later. Could you provide a brief summary highlighting what laws exactly will be repealed, changed ?

Yes please @JaneBhiDoYaaron

Start of the week. Was up all night after my dogs caught two sandalwood thieves in my compound. Chewed them up quite bad. Police came. Major rr . I said you touch my dogs and I will bulldoze your basti. That seemed to have an effect ...

JaneBhiDoYaaron

Jul 15, 2015
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
@vsdoc glad you and dogs are OK. Irony here is jab baat aap pe aayin to aap bhi Yogi (buldozer baba) ban gaye.

Anyway some excerpts from Hindustan Times article.
—————-

Police and central agencies will start registering cases under the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita (BNS), which replaces the IPC, Bharatiya Nagarik Suraksha Sanhita (BNSS) and the Bharatiya Sakshya Adhiniyam (BSA). The BNSS and BSA replace the CrPC and the Indian Evidence Act, respectively.

New provisions such as those of Zero FIRs, online registration of police complaints, summonses through electronic modes such as SMS and mandatory videography of crime scenes for all heinous crimes.

According to the new laws, the judgment in criminal cases has to come within 45 days of completion of trial and charges must be framed within 60 days of the first hearing. The statement of a rape victim will be recorded by a female police officer in the presence of her guardian or relative and medical reports have to come within seven days.

Organised crimes and acts of terrorism have been defined, sedition has been replaced with treason and video recording of any search and seizure has been made mandatory.

Some of the key changes include a provision of 20 years of punishment in gang rape cases, and if the girl is below 12 years of age, there is a provision of death penalty. For mob lynching, death penalty or seven years imprisonment or life imprisonment has been added in the new laws. For the first time, snatching of mobile phones or chains from women has been defined in the law. These cases were earlier registered as theft.

The government has for the first time also brought a provision of trial in absentia of fugitive criminals and a section which allows the right to private defence against deadly assault, for instance in the cases of a mob attack.

For police procedures, videography is now compulsory at the time of search and seizure, which will be part of the case, and charge sheets will not be considered valid without such recording.

Besides, a time limit of 90 days has been fixed for filing the charge sheet and, depending on the situation, judges will have to give a decision within 30 days of the completion of arguments. Also the verdict will have to be made available online within seven days.

In the run-up to the implementation of the new laws, over 565,000 police, prison, forensic, judicial and prosecution officers across the country have been trained and nearly 4 million grassroots-level functionaries have participated in webinars organised by different ministries to ensure that the citizens are aware of the new laws and the impact on their lives.

—————

Also some explanation from former IPS officer Kiran Bedi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Country Watch Latest