Old Man's Corners

Ok, where is @Meengla?
Is he by any chance on another solo trip reliving the glory days?

Haha! I know, I should rejoin this thread. Just been busy with stuff after the exhausting train trip. You all can notice how little I have posted in this forum since Sept. 5 after I came back from the train trip. But... "I will be back!"

 
Just been through the fourth hottest (most 100°F days) all time this summer (records go back 140 years).
Almost no rain since July 4th.
Wind is now picking up.

Per Google's Gemini, this was the hottest summer in the Lower 48 since the 1936 (Dust Bowl). In my region of South Carolina, summers have been fairly mild for last some years. I was noticing the stinky summer to start right after the 4th of July and lasting through the last 3 weeks of August. But this summer was something else: Started from about the 4th week of June and ended about the start of the 4th week of September.

I have three outdoor thermometers close to my house and watch them daily and compare with the official forecasts daily. No question this summer was the nasty hot one for us too. But rain has been decent after the first few dry weeks of Spring.

Fall has definitely arrived here and last weekend was down to about 50 F (10 C). Our house A/C has been stopped since about 24th Sept and windows are open. Now we can hear the owls and the eagles who reside at our semi-secluded thickly wooded homestead. We typically start the house heater from sometime in second week of October and that runs almost all the time into first 2 or 3 week of April. So "The Winter is Coming" if only the nasty summer is truly going away!
 
The buddy of mine who lives about 45 minutes from you caught this is his barn:

View attachment 217666

Carried it into the house and asked his wife if she'd like to keep it for a pet.
Nature's vacuum cleaner - man's real best friend.

The reason I have no need for bug spray when out in the yard.

They clean up the dead carcasses of small animals my cats leave everywhere.
 
Nature's vacuum cleaner - man's real best friend.
The reason I have no need for bug spray when out in the yard.
They clean up the dead carcasses of small animals my cats leave everywhere.

Right!
And for similar reasons, I am letting black snakes to reside in peace below my house (crawlspace) and in one of the sheds around the house: Mice control. The damn mice in the shed have over the years destroyed several equipment. I am careful stepping into the shed because just a few days ago, as I opened its door, a medium sized fell off the top of the door in front of me. Scared me a bit but I let it just crawl in the shed and when it settled down, I grabbed whatever I needed.
They are harmless snakes and the radio said 'harmless like frogs' but I wouldn't still do a Cleopatra hug with them! ;)
 
From the July 4th storm.....

1790860242727.png


IMG_20261001_075918211.jpg

Large limb finally came down last night. Working with nothing more than a hand saw.

Screenshot_20261001-092002.png
 
Last edited:
From the July 4th storm.....

View attachment 217699


View attachment 217700

Large limb finally came down last night. Working with nothing more than a hand saw.

You are really a David Crockett!
I can't imagine a 'hand saw' to take care of that. I was called by a friend, who lives barely 3 miles from my house, a couple of years ago to help clear a fallen tree on his driveway; he had to go to work and was already late. I asked if there was a power source within a 100 ft. He said Yes. So I took my corded chainsaw there, hooked the power cord, and cut the dang tree into pieces and we managed to drag away to the curb and cleared the driveway. I was out of breath--as was he. His wife took a pic of us: Yeah, "Men at Work". Haha! But I was glad to have helped them.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Pakistan Defence Latest

Country Watch Latest

Back
Top