• English is the official language of this forum. Posts in other languages will receive a warning, except in threads where foreign languages are permitted.

Pakistan: A New Political Party in the making?

FuturePAF

Think Tank Analyst
Dec 17, 2014
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
If this new party is taking over the mantle of the center left, but the overhang of the current political landscape remains; with the main center right party (PTI) leadership imprisoned and no one else to voice how undemocratic the setup is, will this party be labeled PDM 3.0 (the establishment’s party); a no real change party?

At the very least, this party is a concession by the system, that the PML-N and PPP as well as most of the “electables” are a spent force (Khali Khartoos, Sirf Rahe Mahnoos), with no real future, and in that way PTI goal of bringing Tabdeeli/change is happening.

Last edited:

Samlee

Aug 8, 2010
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
If unsuccessful parties like PTI P, IPP, Awaam Pakistan party will eventually join Pmln or PPP. We all remember Pakistan Sarzameen Party and how it rejoined Mqm. We don't have vacuum in Pakistan politics at the moment, PTI took it all.

I See Better Days For This Party. PML N and PPP Are Pretty Much Gone Just Need To Remove The Crutches They Stand On. Future Is PTI No Doubt But There Has To Be A Viable Opposition

Last edited:

Jango

RETIRED MOD
Sep 12, 2010
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
This is probably a replacement for PML-N.

The ultra progressive faces of PML will join this party sooner or later.

Especially the Shahbaz/anti-Maryam camp, once Nawaz Sharif's succession is done.

That is if this party remains until then.

FuturePAF

Think Tank Analyst
Dec 17, 2014
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
I See Better Days For This Party. PML N and PPP Are Pretty Much Gone Just Need To Remove The Crutches They Stand On. Future Is PTI No Doubt But There Has To Be A Viable Opposition
PTI does need a viable and competent opposition. PTI will hold center right, while this party "Awaam Pakistan" which people will probably end up calling Pakistani "Awami League" if they aren't sufficiently for reforms, will hold center left. They are basically technocrats that are socially liberal (possibly only for the sake of foreign consumption), so we will have to wait and see.

But keeping IK and SMQ in jail, undermines the legitimacy of this “new” party indirectly. They aren’t winning over voters if “their” rival is not able to also appeal to the electorate. If this is the only major party able to campaign, with PTI in jail and PDM on the way out, they basically make themselves the new establishment-aligned party. This party also needs PTI to be their opposition, so people can decide on the merits of their arguments and how much they trust their ability to get anything done. PTI has the trust of the electorate, as a protest vote, without having to actually do anything. What this party promises sounds too good to be true, so excuse my and many Pakistanis suspicion. They need PTI to govern for at least a full term and not live up to their promises for people to see them as a viable alternative.

Last edited:

PakAl

Sep 27, 2007

I have been listening to Shahid Kaqan Abbasi, he is talking alot of sense but is it just to please the public or genuine, that is something they need to convince the public.

Ch Nisaar, Javid Hashmi should join this party. The electables joining from Pmln, PPP, Pmlq, IPP may harm the party, that is if the party as it claims wants to bring a change and reforms.

PakAl

Sep 27, 2007
PTI does need a viable and competent opposition. PTI will hold center right, while this party "Awaam Pakistan" which people will probably end up calling Pakistani "Awami League" if they aren't sufficiently for reforms, will hold center left. They are basically technocrats that are socially liberal (possibly only for the sake of foreign consumption), so we will have to wait and see.

But keeping IK and SMQ in jail, undermines the legitimacy of this “new” party indirectly. They aren’t winning over voters if “their” rival is not able to also appeal to the electorate. If this is the only major party able to campaign, with PTI in jail and PDM on the way out, they basically make themselves the new establishment-aligned party. This party also needs PTI to be their opposition, so people can decide on the merits of their arguments and how much they trust their ability to get anything done. PTI has the trust of the electorate, as a protest vote, without having to actually do anything. What this party promises sounds too good to be true, so excuse my and many Pakistanis suspicion. They need PTI to govern for at least a full term and not live up to their promises for people to see them as a viable alternative.

Looks like those in power are encouraging for a new party, they must be naive to believe Pakistan can move forward without reforms. I like how Awaam Pakistan Party is saying we want to avoid toxic politics, the politics of hatred and personal attacks. It can certainly become a good opposition but most likely they will be allies with PTI in governance. PPP/Mqm are strong in Sindh and Pmln has power in Punjab.

FuturePAF

Think Tank Analyst
Dec 17, 2014
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
Looks like those in power are encouraging for a new party, they must be naive to believe Pakistan can move forward without reforms. I like how Awaam Pakistan Party is saying we want to avoid toxic politics, the politics of hatred and personal attacks. It can certainly become a good opposition but most likely they will be allies with PTI in governance. PPP/Mqm are strong in Sindh and Pmln has power in Punjab.
I doubt they will be allies of PTI. They are being made to be an alternative, that will be sold to the public over the course of the next 12-24 months, culminating with them being the “Liberal” party, liked by western institutions Pakistan is trying to woo for loans. They seem like a mask; a facade. They are being made ready for 2029, because even they know that PDM is being given one last term, and they can claim to be opposition to PDM, and the country’s salvation. It’s like a controlled collapse followed by a half hearted salvage.

It really is up to them to Prove they are about real change. By suppressing PTI, they have made PTI into the anti-status quo party. PTI earned its “cred on the streets”, what do these technocrats have to offer.

PML-N is becoming a Northern Punjab local party, and PPP a mostly Sindhi party.

This party seems to be there to absorb the hemorrhage of these two formerly unassailable giants of Pakistani politics.

Last edited:

PakAl

Sep 27, 2007
I doubt they will be allies of PTI. They are being made to be an alternative, that will be sold to the public over the course of the next 12-24 months, culminating with them being the “Liberal” party, liked by western institutions Pakistan is trying to woo for loans. They seem like a mask; a facade. They are being made ready for 2029, because even they know that PDM is being given one last term, and they can claim to be opposition to PDM, and the country’s salvation. It’s like a controlled collapse followed by a half hearted salvage.

It really is up to them to Prove they are about real change. By suppressing PTI, they have made PTI into the anti-status quo party. PTI earned its “cred on the streets”, what do these technocrats have to offer.

PML-N is becoming a Northern Punjab local party, and PPP a mostly Sindhi party.

This party seems to be there to absorb the hemorrhage of these two formerly unassailable giants of Pakistani politics.

Pmln, PPP, MqmP, Pmlq will still be here 2029 elections time. Mqm and PPP are very strong in Sindh and Pmln is strong in Central Punjab. In my opinion the new party like you mentioned will take on those who leave PDM, not everyone in Pmln likes the politics of hatred, false cases etc, the clever ones know it will lead to their downfall, so they will leave and join AP (could have chosen a better name). PTI and AP could form future government with AP keeping PTI in check, IK will not deal with Pmln PPP or Mqm but will be fine with AP Party.

At the moment will AP leaders win seats against PTI, Pmln or PPP, I doubt it but making alliance with Pti will help them alot.

FuturePAF

Think Tank Analyst
Dec 17, 2014
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
Pmln, PPP, MqmP, Pmlq will still be here 2029 elections time. Mqm and PPP are very strong in Sindh and Pmln is strong in Central Punjab. In my opinion the new party like you mentioned will take on those who leave PDM, not everyone in Pmln likes the politics of hatred, false cases etc, the clever ones know it will lead to their downfall, so they will leave and join AP (could have chosen a better name). PTI and AP could form future government with AP keeping PTI in check, IK will not deal with Pmln PPP or Mqm but will be fine with AP Party.

At the moment will AP leaders win seats against PTI, Pmln or PPP, I doubt it but making alliance with Pti will help them alot.
Sure these parties will be around but as a spent force, because at least for the two major parties they won’t change from a one family party.

PTI was always weak on the left, and I have been pointing it out for years. This party will absorb the left wing from all parties, and therefore likely to eclipse PPP’s role as the center left party.

If PTI went into a coalition with them, they could have their vision compromised. It all depends on what reforms this new party advocates and what terms any coalition government operates under. PTI has to be careful not to be subverted.

PakAl

Sep 27, 2007
Sure these parties will be around but as a spent force, because at least for the two major parties they won’t change from a one family party.

PTI was always weak on the left, and I have been pointing it out for years. This party will absorb the left wing from all parties, and therefore likely to eclipse PPP’s role as the center left party.

If PTI went into a coalition with them, they could have their vision compromised. It all depends on what reforms this new party advocates and what terms any coalition government operates under. PTI has to be careful not to be subverted.

Awaam Pakistan could take most of PTI P, IPP, and some of PPP candidates, Pmlq and alot of pmln leaders are already leaving to join AP. They will take some PTI MNAs too. The reforms suggested by Shahid Kaqaan Abbasi are something like new constitution, or major amendments, speaking to establishment and ask them what they want in order to stop their interference because obviously this cannot continue, reforms in governance, abolishment of NAB, no to politics of hate and character assassinations etc.

The challenge for AP is what difference will this party be from Istekham e Pakistan party, in their first elections IPP flopped big time.

Parties like IPP and AP are for the future, Nawaz Sharif, Shabaz Sharif, Zardari, Imran Khan are all over 70s and their parties will collapse after them. IK is in jail and look at PTI internal issues, without him the party would collapse and this is where IPP and AP would take their role as the next king parties.

Last edited:

FuturePAF

Think Tank Analyst
Dec 17, 2014
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
Awaam Pakistan could take most of PTI P, IPP, and some of PPP candidates, Pmlq and alot of pmln leaders are already leaving. The reforms suggested by Shahid Kaqaan Abbasi are something like new constitution, or major amendments, speak to establishment and ask them what they want in order to stop their interference because obviously this cannot continue, reforms in governance, abolishment of NAB etc.
I’m not against a new party, especially as an actually doing their work focused party, I’m just suspicious they are being put out just to weaken PTI, because what they promise isn’t going to be allowed by the status quo establishment.

PakAl

Sep 27, 2007
I’m not against a new party, especially as an actually doing their work focused party, I’m just suspicious they are being put out just to weaken PTI, because what they promise isn’t going to be allowed by the status quo establishment.

IPP, PTI P were there to cut PTI to pieces but it didn't work, AP Party like you mentioned is of technocrats party, we definitely needs a new visionary party, with clean politicans and away from the typical toxic character assassinations types of politics. Our people might enjoy it but it's disgusting and below the belt politics. Pmln will be reduced as Maryam Nawaz is a big failure. Shabaz is old baba, the people of Pakistan want something new to cater for the youth.

If the establishment want extra power and afterwards are willing to take the back seat then we should see what they want, clearly the interference is not working, our economy suffers, and establishment wants better economy, better economy means more budget for toys. I don't see any future otherwise, we will continue to take 1 step forward and 2 backwards. I am just being optimistic that our establishment can see what went wrong and are willing to correct it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Pakistan Defence Latest

Country Watch Latest