• English is the official language of this forum. Posts in other languages will receive a warning, except in threads where foreign languages are permitted.

Pakistan CRAZY Taxes on Middle Class will Push Millions to Leave

Fatman17

THINK TANK: CONSULTANT
Apr 24, 2007
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
That is why I said, compared to local economic status. Standard of living can be relative. One may need a good car to go to work in U.K. while a motorcycle may be just fine in Pakistan. One has to pay huge heating bills for homes in winter in U.K. while there is no such expense in Pakistan.
We pay for Air Conditioning in the south and heating oil in the north.

Dalit

Elite Member
Mar 16, 2012
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
Not surprised. For us Indians who joined PDF early days, PDF used to be a forum run by firang Pakistanis, but with lots of native Pakistanis living right next door to us. One by one we've actually seen guys we know get up and leave. Unlike PakAffairs which used to be almost purely a UK expat crowd. Now there are a few hardy souls loke @Fatman17 and @Areesh and @DESERT FIGHTER who I know left behind. PDF is now a forum of expat honorary faujis. Who will take a flight to come fight us.

What about the almost 300 million Pakistanis living inside Pakistan though?

vsdoc

Elite Member
Jul 8, 2009
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
What about the almost 300 million Pakistanis living inside Pakistan though?

Talking about the guys we met here. PDF demographic. Its very rare to see 2 green flags . Been that way for quite some time.

Last edited:

Dalit

Elite Member
Mar 16, 2012
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
Pakistani people are adaptable , they will accept and comply to the masters as they have been doing since past 7 decades.

The rulers know how to keep awam distracted thru falsified narratives- Gaza, Trump, Kashmir and so on.

You got it wrong. This is what we also used to think about the Pakistani awam. The Pakistani awam is aware. They are not stupid. The awam is opportunistic as the rest.

FreedomToThink

Aug 11, 2015
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
OK, let me see:

Per, https://taxcalculator.pk/incom-tax-slabs

Income Tax Slabs​

As per the latest income tax regulations for the year 2024-2025, the following slabs and income tax rates will be applicable for salaried persons:
  • Where the taxable salary income does not exceed Rs. 600,000, the rate of income tax is 0%.
  • Where the taxable salary income exceeds Rs. 600,000 but does not exceed Rs. 1,200,000, the rate of income tax is 5% of the amount exceeding Rs. 600,000.
  • Where the taxable salary income exceeds Rs. 1,200,000 but does not exceed Rs. 2,200,000, the rate of income tax is Rs. 30,000 + 15% of the amount exceeding Rs. 1,200,000.
  • Where the taxable salary income exceeds Rs. 2,200,000 but does not exceed Rs. 3,200,000, the rate of income tax is Rs. 180,000 + 25% of the amount exceeding Rs. 2,200,000.
  • Where the taxable salary income exceeds Rs. 3,200,000 but does not exceed Rs. 4,100,000, the rate of income tax is Rs. 430,000 + 30% of the amount exceeding Rs. 3,200,000.
  • Where the taxable salary income exceeds Rs. 4,100,000, the rate of income tax is Rs. 700,000 + 35% of the amount exceeding Rs. 4,100,000.
If you runaway to U.K.,

I live in England, Wales or Northern Ireland – what's my income tax rate for 2024/25?

EARNINGS (IF YOU LIVE IN ENGLAND, WALES OR NORTHERN IRELAND)RATE
Under your personal allowance (PA)
For most, £12,570
No income tax payable
Between PA and PA + £37,700 (basic rate)
For most, over £12,570 to £50,270
20%
Between PA + £37,701 and £125,140 (higher rate)
For most, over £50,271 to £125,140
40% (1)
Over £125,140 (additional rate)45%

(1) Personal allowance drops by £1 for every £2 earned between £100,000 and £125,140.
I live in Scotland – what's my income tax rate for 2024/25?

EARNINGS (IF YOU LIVE IN SCOTLAND)RATE
Under your personal allowance (PA)
For most, £12,570
No income tax payable
Between PA and PA + £2,306 (starter rate)
For most, over £12,570 to £14,876
19%
Between PA + £2,307 and PA + £13,991 (basic rate)
For most, over £14,877 to £26,561
20%
Between PA + £13,992 and PA + £31,092 (intermediate rate)
For most, over £26,562 to £43,662
21%
Between PA + £31,093 and £62,430 (higher rate)
For most, over £43,663 to £75,000
42% (1)
Between PA + £62,431 and £125,140 (advanced rate)
For most, over £75,001 to £125,140
45%
Over £125,140 (top rate)48%

(1) Personal allowance drops by £1 for every £2 earned between £100,000 and £125,140.​

If one is as successful in U.K. as in Pakistan (corresponding to the local income level), one would be paying higher tax rates in U.K. It may not be profitable to run away. Of course, living in U.K. is nicer for a lot of other reasons compared to Pakistan. But Tax rate does not seem to be the main attraction.

In return for such tax rates what does your government provide for you in the UK and than compare that to what does the Pakistan government provide for the people of Pakistan.

SoulSpokesman

Dec 22, 2023
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
If the current round of taxes push millions of Pakistanis to emigrate, my friend Brofessor sb will say that this shows that Pakistanis are upwardly mobile!

@Fatman17

We pay for Air Conditioning in the south and heating oil in the north.

Spare a thought for us Delhiites-we need ACs in the summer (May-Sep) and heaters/geysers in the winter (Dec-Feb). And oxygen purifiers during the crop burning season

Regards

VCheng

RETIRED MOD
Sep 19, 2010
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
If one is as successful in U.K. as in Pakistan (corresponding to the local income level), one would be paying higher tax rates in U.K. It may not be profitable to run away. Of course, living in U.K. is nicer for a lot of other reasons compared to Pakistan. But Tax rate does not seem to be the main attraction.

The main difference is that in Pakistan, there is a huge reliance on indirect taxes, which makes the overall taxation structure highly regressive.

On topic, to quote a former Pakistani PM, if millions want to leave "what's stopping them?"

SoulSpokesman

Dec 22, 2023
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
@VCheng sb

in Pakistan, there is a huge reliance on indirect taxes, which makes the overall taxation structure highly regressive.

This is an unfortunate and almost universal occurence in developing countries. In India, even in best of years, direct taxes are barely 50% of all taxes collected, usually they are closer to 40-45%. I am sure the picture is no different in nations with similar per capita GDP.

Regards

VCheng

RETIRED MOD
Sep 19, 2010
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
@VCheng sb

in Pakistan, there is a huge reliance on indirect taxes, which makes the overall taxation structure highly regressive.

This is an unfortunate and almost universal occurence in developing countries. In India, even in best of years, direct taxes are barely 50% of all taxes collected, usually they are closer to 40-45%. I am sure the picture is no different in nations with similar per capita GDP.

Regards

Every nation makes the choice about how to structure its taxation as a sovereign right.

EugeneP

May 7, 2024
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
The main difference is that in Pakistan, there is a huge reliance on indirect taxes, which makes the overall taxation structure highly regressive.

On topic, to quote a former Pakistani PM, if millions want to leave "what's stopping them?"
Reminds me of a famous episode. When Carter met Chinese president Deng Xiao Ping, he mentioned the issue of political prisoners and dissidents (he was big on human rights). He asked Deng to loosen emigration rules so that more dissidents can emigrate instead of serving in labor camps for reeducation. Deng coolly asked How many million do you want? Carter was silenced.

VCheng

RETIRED MOD
Sep 19, 2010
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
Reminds me of a famous episode. When Carter met Chinese president Deng Xiao Ping, he mentioned the issue of political prisoners and dissidents (he was big on human rights). He asked Deng to loosen emigration rules so that more dissidents can emigrate instead of serving in labor camps for reeducation. Deng coolly asked How many million do you want? Carter was silenced.

Or the old story about Stalin telling his secretary if he were to open up emigration, there would be nobody left in USSR but you and I, and the secretary replied "speak only for yourself, Comrade!" :D

WildApache

Dec 20, 2023
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
Why not pay tax , doesn't seem so bad .you happily will pay it to the crown of England or to the zionists in USA but hurts to pay for your own .

Tameem

Jan 27, 2008
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
Bull*hit.
Life is tough but not that much to migrate insanely.
I love my city (Lahore), its life, Its food, its streets, its roads, its people can't imagine living in a strange land, with strange people strange food, strange customs. Foolish Idea.
I belong to the middle class but still prefer living Pakistan on every other country out there. For me living in your home country place city where your forefathers are buried (one day i too joins them besides) is a luxury who only afford by fortunate people, Not runaway gypsies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Country Watch Latest