Pakistani Movies, Dramas and Videos - Discussions and Updates

Kaniska

Elite Member
Reaction score
It is holiday time, so I was browsing through YouTube when I came across a short reel in YouTube It was quite impressive. You guys can find it out with the name "Loyalty is not a word, It's a lifestyle". I was so impressed with that video, I called my friend to understand if it was from Pakistan. drama and realized it was a movie of Mewish Hayat.

Man, the expression, dialogue, and execution of the sequence by her is awesome. The dialogue and script is so good.

It is holiday time, so I was browsing through YouTube when I came across a short reel in YouTube It was quite impressive. You guys can find it out with the name "Loyalty is not a word, It's a lifestyle". I was so impressed with that video, I called my friend to understand if it was from Pakistan. drama and realized it was a movie of Mewish Hayat.

Man, the expression, dialogue, and execution of the sequence by her is awesome. The dialogue and script is so good.
Is it the one with Mehwish Hayat’s husband having an affair?

If thats the one then yeah I watched it in the cinema. It was released on the Eid day so we decided to watch it. It was quite embarrassing when you are sitting alongside 30 of your family members, mostly female but yeah the first part of Ghost and the third part of someone getting married was entertaining. The Mehwish one was very intense.

Is it the one with Mehwish Hayat’s husband having an affair?

If thats the one then yeah I watched it in the cinema. It was released on the Eid day so we decided to watch it. It was quite embarrassing when you are sitting alongside 30 of your family members, mostly female but yeah the first part of Ghost and the third part of someone getting married was entertaining. The Mehwish one was very intense.

Yes, you are correct. Particularly, I liked the Mewish one. It is superb my friend. A few dialogues were so impressive that even I asked my wife to come and see me...

My engagement with PDF and A1 cricket channel for cricket analysis is leading me to see quite nice YouTube content from Pakistan.

Yes, you are correct. Particularly, I liked the Mewish one. It is superb my friend. A few dialogues were so impressive that even I asked my wife to come and see me...

My engagement with PDF and A1 cricket channel for cricket analysis is leading me to see quite nice YouTube content from Pakistan.
It was very seductive. I am sure I would have loved to watch alongside my partner but not in front of 30 people including my female cousins, aunts and their families.

The funniest part in that scene was the reality of life. He has extra-marital affair in a typical Desi way and then immediately go to pray and repent in front of God. That is a typical mentality of Pakistanis and Indian Muslim. Just like any society, they are sometimes involved in illegal activities such as selling drugs but will make sure not to leave their prayer.

Last Pakistani show I watched was pari zaad
And movie Maula Jutt

Both 10/10

Next **** movie I'am excited for is umro Ayar
Based on every kids beloved childhood novel

Last edited:

THE GRAPEVINE

PYT
December 17, 2023

BEST DIRECTOR

657baf2f605a1.jpg

Here’s another feather in the already well-feathered cap of team Kamli. For the uninitiated, Kamli is a film directed by Sarmad Khoosat and has Saba Qamar, Hamza Khwaja, Nimra Bucha and Sania Saeed in the cast. The latest on that count is that Sarmad K has won the best director award for his movie at the DC South Asian Film Festival. It is definitely heartening news for those who want to make serious cinema in the country and don’t overthink about the box office. Congrats to the filmmaker!

UNGRATEFUL REVIEWERS

657baf3d6993c.jpg

Vasay Chaudhry doesn’t mince words. He shouldn’t. He’s a writer.
But on a talk show, he expressed his candid views on many subjects, including the bloggers who are invited to film premieres. He expressed frustration that, despite getting privileges, they often give negative comments on films. He asked the film industry to reconsider “relying on social media influencers.” Oh, so, guaranteed positive reviews is why filmmakers invited them, is it?
The thing is, mainstream media too, oftentimes, dishes out bad reviews. Media is just incorrigible, isn’t it Vasay C!

NAUSHEEN, REST IN PEACE

657baf4b6a584.jpg

Actress, host and television producer Nausheen Masud passed away on December 6 after bravely battling cancer for six years. She had shot to national fame after working in a soap Jaal and went on to do serials such as Ghar To Aakhir Apna Hai and Colony 1952.
Her work in Dolly Ki Aaey Gi Baraat was particularly liked. She also hosted a few television shows including Andaz Apna Apna. Ms Masud’s untimely death was widely mourned across the entertainment world spectrum and it was remarkable to see how many lives she had touched.
She had also trained as a therapist and was seeing clients until about two months ago. Actor Adnan Siddiqui wrote a message on social media immediately after her death, calling her “a beautiful soul.” May she rest in peace.

Was not on talking terms with Mehwish: Khalilur Rehman opens up on rift, how he fought to cast her​

Writer opened up on industry quarrels and more

Entertainment Desk
December 20, 2023

KRQMEHWISHBEEF-(1)1703065890-0.png

Pakistani screenwriter Khalilur Rehman Qamar's recent appearance on Ahmad Ali Butt's Excuse Me Podcast stirred waves, offering a candid glimpse into the acclaimed writer's world. From divulging insights into on-set conflicts to candid revelations about his perspectives on renowned personalities like Mahira Khan and Mehwish Hayat, Qamar's discussion provided an unfiltered and intriguing peek into the behind-the-scenes dynamics of the industry.

Butt asked the writer about on-set fights, to which Qamar asked, "What fights?" He then candidly explained that he removes an actor from his set if they're not honest with their work. "Any actor I've worked with twice, I'm not fighting with them. He's in love with me and I'm in love with him. If you throw tantrums, then no one in Pakistan can throw a bigger tantrum than I can. If you own the project, you're honest with it, place me at your feet. I will sit there, openly," claimed Qamar. He added, "If God has made you reach here, respect your work and protect it."

Qamar also asserted that no one should ever disrespect a writer. He also denied the presence of a "city war" between Lahore and Karachi, saying that the two cities are taking turns inflicting cruelty on one another. "You've sunk the industry in Lahore once, you'll sink it in Karachi again," he said. The writer also did not agree with the term "entertainment." He maintained, "Don't call it entertainment, call it a university. The big lessons we've learned haven't come from our universities or parents, they've come from films and dramas. Don't you see this today? Aren't dramas teaching? Why is there such a debate on the same?"

Butt also questioned Qamar about who made him a "self-proclaimed" authority on women, given that the writer admitted that 100% of his work is about the same gender. "Don't agree with my writing," he responded. "Have I asked you to? I simply present my case. Bring a counterargument." Shedding light on why he writes about women and not men, he replied, "I don't believe in men. Society is run by women. Whoever's working, I'll address them. Men are 'dou number.' A man does not have the capability to say no. This is what he lacks. Dignity and loyalty are a woman's domain." He also claimed, "No one speaks more about women's rights than I do."

Qamar, whilst speaking about director Nadeem Baig, shared that they have a 'dosti jaisi dosti.' However, he stated that he could never commit professional dishonesty for friendship. This tied in with when he was asked to choose between Punjab Nahi Jaungi and London Nahi Jaunga. He chose the former, asserting that the latter was "half badly directed by Nadeem Baig." He further said that had it been a worse-written film than Punjab Nahi Jaungi, it wouldn't have done more business.

"It was a better film than Punjab Nahi Jaungi," said Qamar. "I am telling you, that was not the calibre of Nadeem Baig's direction." When asked not to place blame on Nadeem, he responded, "I will not place blame on anyone but him, he's the only responsible person in the film. What was my fault? It was a wonderful script, it was lauded all through the world." The host reminded Qamar that he was responsible for casting. "What was the casting? Now don't get into this. But my main concern is the main lead. I give a margin for discussion for the other cast members. There are two, three people whom I am sure of. I keep them," replied Qamar. Butt egged him on, saying that he wasn't admitting his mistake. "London Nahi Jaunga was a better-written film than Punjab Nahi Jaungi," reiterated the writer angrily.

Qamar also opened up on stars like Humayun Saeed, Mehwish, and Mahira. "I have had many differences with Humayun Saeed," he said, "but the fervour with which I have seen that person work hard, you are a witness, he is a giant producer of the country right now. On his set and personally, he's very down-to-earth. He doesn't sit there like a producer, he sits like an actor at the disposal of the director."

Talking about Mehwish, he stated, "When I saw Teri Meri Kahaniyaan, I called Mehwish after two, three years. I was not on talking terms with her. And I allowed her to work in my telefilm...We were friends." Getting distracted by a question about Mahira, the writer professed, "I'm not upset at Mahira. I hate that act of hers. I'm not a hateful man. I'm not upset at her. I can be upset at Nadeem Baig, Humayun, you. That is not a big issue. That ends. Hatred does not." He asserted that it is of the utmost importance that Mahira asks for forgiveness. "We shared a relationship of immense respect. I respected her so much, perhaps, after Ayeza Khan, it was Mahira Khan." Qamar highlighted how she had the right to call him and question him, but she sent out a 'ghatiya' tweet instead, for which she should be "ashamed."

Circling back to Mehwish, he said that he was upset at her because she refused to do Kaaf Kangana. "The way I have cast her in Punjab Nahi Jaungi, Ahmad Butt, your angels do not know...She was of the view that she would not be in Punjab Nahi Jaungi because my director and producer were not ready to cast her. I fought for her. I fought like anything. And I didn't even have a commitment to hire her. When she found out, she asked me what I was doing. I gave her the guarantee that the film was written for her."

Have something to add? Share it in the comments

Pakistan’s ‘In Flames’ misses the cut for Oscars

BR Life & Style

1703251710142.png

‘In Flames’, Pakistan’s official submission for the 96th Academy Awards, did not make the shortlist as results were announced on Thursday.

The horror movie, which was recently screened at the Red Sea International Film Festival, tells the story of how a mother and daughter’s lives are upended by entities from their history – both tangible and spectral.

It was directed by Zarrar Kahn and premiered at the Cannes Directors’ Fortnight earlier in the year.

It was selected as Pakistan’s submission for the 96th Academy Awards by a committee chaired by filmmaker, Mohammed Ali Naqvi. Last year’s entry, ‘Joyland’, also did not make the shortlist, but received much critical acclaim on the festival circuit.

Among the films that were shortlisted in the international Feature category included Bhutan’s ‘The Monk and the Gun’, Ukraine’s ‘20 Days in Mariupol’ and ‘Amerikatsi’ from Armenia.

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences announced the shortlists in 10 categories, in which ‘Barbie’ led the way as predicted.

International Feature
  • Armenia, ‘Amerikatsi’
  • Bhutan, ‘The Monk and the Gun’
  • Denmark, ‘The Promised Land’
  • Finland, ‘Fallen Leaves’
  • France, ‘The Taste of Things’
  • Germany, ‘The Teachers’ Lounge’
  • Iceland, ‘Godland’
  • Italy, ‘Io Capitano’
  • Japan, ‘Perfect Days’
  • Mexico, ‘Totem’
  • Morocco, ‘The Mother of All Lies’
  • Spain, ‘Society of the Snow’
  • Tunisia, ‘Four Daughters’
  • Ukraine, ‘20 Days in Mariupol’
  • United Kingdom, ‘The Zone of Interest’

IMG_94801695189648-5.jpg

25 days to prep, six days to shoot: Bilal Lashari details final showdown between Maula, Noori​

The mastermind behind Pakistan's grandest offering details the last fight sequence in an exclusive chat

Rida Lodhi
September 20, 2023

KARACHI: The Legend of Maula Jatt has been nothing short of a sweet reward in a drought that had been the Pakistani cinema. The film, which has gone on to become the highest-grossing local film to date with over Rs400 crore global earnings, has been lauded by fans and critics for its exceptional cast, nail-biting plot and praise-worthy cinematography.

Bilal Lashari, the mad genius behind this magnum opus, had a vision he brought to life oh-so-spectacularly. With the right ensemble cast and a better team behind the masterpiece, the filmmaker has managed to work through the complexity of his creative power and emerged the victor on the other end.

ff21695185942-0.jpeg

The latest proof of his brilliance is The Legend of Maula Jatt's recent nod at the US stunt awards for the final dust-up scene between Hamza Ali Abbasi's Noori Nath and Fawad Khan's Maula Jatt. The film readies to go head-to-head with worldwide competition at the Taurus World Stunt Awards. While acquiring the title of the highest-grossing Pakistani film was undoubtedly an impressive feat, the list grows with this nomination under the Best Fight category.

Lashari, the mastermind behind Pakistan's grandest offering, details the final fight sequence in an exclusive chat with The Express Tribune. The final showdown between Maula and Noori was the first scene the filmmaker shot for the film. "It's been quite a while since I thought about this,"

Lashari told me over the phone. "Fawad and Hamza prepped for around 20-25 days with our stunt coordinator, Ian Van Temperley. Ian helped our actors with difficult moves in the scene, such as flips. We shot the final scene of the film for five to six days and completed it."

ff11695108522-0.jpeg

Adding on, Lashari commented, "See, the action scenes take quite a bit of time, and we needed to get this right." The director added he always wanted a mindblowing all-out fight in the film. "A strong fight sequence is sort of an item number for any action film, you know," he commented. "While there were other fight scenes in the film, my vision to have an elaborate one as Maula Jatt's showdown was for it to be more choreographed - like a well-synched dance."

IMG_86221695189539-4.jpg

Furthering his thoughts, Lashari commented, "It's almost shot like that because there's a certain rhythm between the pair's intensity. The rivalry is very visible." Detailing the cinematography,

Lashari remarked, "There's elaborate camerawork; the idea is grander and presented in larger-than-life frames. At the same time, we didn't want it to be staged; we tried keeping it as real as possible. The cameras we used in these were hand-helds and steady cams, as well as detailed visual effects. The sound also plays an imperative role when it comes to nailing a shot. Any action scene is made impactful with the correct sound effects and we made sure that was added."

IMG_12691695189646-3.jpg

The local nomination stands against Everything Everywhere All at Once and The Gray Man, amongst others. The Taurus World Stunt Awards are a yearly celebration of the achievements of stunt performers from film industries across the world. Since their debut in 2001, the deciding committee for the ceremonious awards have been known to hold the highest standards in terms of recognition.

Held in Los Angeles every year, past winners in the Best Fight category have been major Hollywood blockbuster films such as Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, Kingsman, Fast and Furious 6, Inception, and The Avengers, with local cinema sensation The Legend of Maula Jatt joining the race to earn its rank in the impressive listing.

About The Legend of Maula Jatt

IMG_07511695189539-2.jpg

The acclaimed film, which was released in October of 2022, evidently shows no signs of slowing down, gaining a momentum seen like no other locally produced offering in just its initial weeks of release.

Proof of this lies in the fact that the movie is known to have become the highest-grossing Punjabi film of all time at the global box office in the fourth week of its release after already acquiring the titles of the highest-grossing Pakistani film and the second-highest-grossing film in the UK for the year 2022 as well as the most-watched South Asian film in Norway.

Maula-Jatt-1-scaled1668597094-0.jpg

The Legend of Maula Jatt was released in 25 different territories with 500+ screens - making it one of the biggest releases to come out of Pakistan. The phenomenal response to the film has led to full house screenings across the world and queues outside cinemas, with exhibitors continuously scheduling additional screenings to meet consumers’ demands. Such has been the adulation for the film that standing ovations have been recorded at cinemas globally. The number of screens for the movie is increasing every day.

A reboot of Yunus Malik’s 1979 cult classic Maula Jutt, the film is a re-telling of the story of the rivalry between Maula Jatt and Noori Natt. Directed by Lashari and produced by Ammara Hikmat, The Legend of Maula Jatt also stars Mahira Khan, Humaima Malick, Mirza Gohar Rasheed, Faris Shafi, Ali Azmat, Nayyer Ejaz, Shafqat Cheema, Raheela Agha, Zia Khan and Saima Baloch.

Indus Echoes, Pakistan’s ‘first Sindhi language feature film in 26 years’

It’s a Sindhi film made by a Sindhi for Sindh, says filmmaker Rahul Aijaz.

Mohammad Kamran Jawaid
01 Aug, 2023

Indus Echoes, Pakistan’s first Sindhi language feature film in the last 26 years according to its makers, is due for release later this year.

Written, directed, and produced by entertainment journalist Rahul Aijaz, Indus Echoes is executive produced by Shamoon Abbasi, Akhtiar Ali Kalwar and Vajdaan Shah, and is an international collaboration between Pakistani, South Korean and Ecuadorian production companies and talents. Starring Vajdaan Shah, Ansaar Mahar and Samina Seher, the film is currently in the post-production stage.

According to its synopsis, “Indus Echoes explores the relationship between humans and the great Indus River through five stories set on, across and around the Indus. The stories delve into the ways the river provided for us over centuries, as well as how we treat it. It’s about the push-and-pull, love-hate relationship we have with the Indus that gave us life and civilisation and culture.”

Indus Echoes is Aijaz’s graduation into long-form narrative. His prior project, a short film called A Train Crosses the Desert, made in 2020, was the first Sindhi language short film from Pakistan to screen internationally.
“I conceived the idea [of Indus Echoes] late last summer while having a conversation with a friend at a chai dhaba,” Aijaz told Images.

“Now that I think about it, I have been obsessed with the Indus River, as or we call it Sindhu, for a few years now. A Lahore Biennale Virtual Museum residency project I did with Sarmad Khoosat also revolved around Indus. Besides Indus Echoes, two other feature film projects I have been developing since 2020 are also in a way about the Indus River,” he said.

Rahul Aijaz

Rahul Aijaz

“I found a lot of support from talented actors to assistant directors, friends and family across Karachi and Hyderabad in order to pull off this project with a limited budget,” Aijaz continued.

“Shamoon Abbasi has been a solid support throughout and I can’t thank him enough for attaching his name to the project and lending support when it comes to the equipment and technical guidance. Akhtiar Ali Kalwar, a friend and a businessman, was the first person to say yes to the project last year. I thought of Vajdaan Shah, Ansaar Mahar and Samina Seher as the characters when I was writing and luckily, I got all three.”

Paul Battle, the CEO of BigMeta Films, a South Korea based post production house, said in a statement that Indus Echoes presents a rare and unique opportunity to expand their dimensions. “Personally, I love getting involved in projects that push me outside of my comfort zone and expose me to new genres or filmmaking approaches. This project does both. It’s a bonus that Rahul, as writer and director, has the vision and creative freedom to tell a story that is rich in culture, lore and history.”

Saulo Aroca Rosas, the colourist of the project, said in a statement that “Indus Echoes is an intriguing piece of art with a strong point of view and deliberate visual style that conveys not only the inner world of the characters on screen, but also the vastness of their surrounding and the ever-present river that dictates so much of their lives”. Rosas’ work as a colourist includes the latest Fast and Furious film, Fast X. Like Battle, Abbasi and the cast, he accepted the project right away.

31213444ca53e5a.jpg

“I normally work on more main stream commercials and fiction projects, and being able to play a part in the making of an artwork such as this one is both an exciting challenge and a privilege.”

Aijaz completed the screenplay early November 2022, followed by a month and a half of rehearsals, and finished production at the end of February this year. “It’s a Sindhi film made by a Sindhi for Sindh,” he said, adding, “At the heart of the film are universal ideas that connect with everyone.”

Abbasi told Images that he was fascinated with Aijaz’s idea of pursuing the Sindhi narrative whose essence and themes about water are universal.

Abbasi has known Aijaz since his days as a journalist, but back then he didn’t know he was a budding filmmaker as well. “I could sense his seriousness in filmmaking, and then when he approached me to come aboard Indus Echoes, I could sense his seriousness in making Sindhi cinema.”

3121344559da548.jpg

Abbasi, though, didn’t want to sign onto just any project. “The project one undertakes should bring difference and diversity to Pakistan’s film industry,” he explained, adding — and questioning — the selective nature of the support in Pakistan.

“Why do we extend our hand to support only big commercial films and not independent, artistically-inclined cinema?” he asked. The film represents a unique vision from Pakistan, he said.

Aijaz, who has been at the Busan Asian Film School in South Korea since the end of March, said Indus Echoes is set to go the film festival route, followed by a world-wide theatrical release. In the interim, he is already developing his second Sindhi feature film.

Fahad Mustafa set to make TV comeback in ‘Teri Meri Kahani’ alongside Hania Aamir​

Written by Farhat Ishtiaq, the much-anticipated series will grace screens in 2024

Entertainment Desk
December 27, 2023

Untitled-design-(61)1703677830-0.png

As the year 2024 knocks on our door, the small screen will be welcoming leading actor and producer Fahad Mustafa in a spectacular comeback in upcoming series Teri Meri Kahani. Sharing the screen with none other than Hania Aamir, this will be the actor’s first drama series since Dusri Biwi in 2015. Since then, the versatile actor has predominantly graced TV shows and taken on roles as a producer.

While the duo has never shared the screen before, Hania appeared as the lead in the widely acclaimed 2022 series Mujhe Pyaar Hua Tha, co-produced by Fahad. The announcement, which has sent ripples of anticipation through fans, was made by Farhat Ishtiaq, the creative force behind iconic dramas like Humsafar and Bin Roye. Ishtiaq took to her official Instagram handle with a post revealing this upcoming collaboration.

‘Nayab’: theatres across Pakistan

Photo: Nayab

Photo: Nayab

In the bustling heart of Karachi, a determined girl harbors a dream to shatter stereotypes and play cricket for Pakistan, while her brother, once a rising star himself, grapples with his past.

Starring veteran Pakistani actor Jawed Sheikh along with Fawad Khan and Yumna Zaidi, the film navigates the gritty world of local cricket scene, their unwavering bond and the city’s chaotic past in this deeply Pakistani tale of ambition, resilience, and family.

The film is all set to release on the big screen on January 26.

Both Sit In Silence For A While goes global: In coversation with Ali Junejo and Rasti Farooq

After captivating Karachi, Lahore, and Islamabad, Junejo's play has found a new home in Dutch theatres.

Wara Irfan
02 Jan, 2024

When good theatre comes around for Pakistanis in a nation where the art form is witnessing a decline, it’s cause for celebration, as was the case two years ago when Ali Junejo and Rasti Farooq — known from the acclaimed film Joyland — introduced their dark comedy play Both Sit In Silence For A While in Karachi, Lahore, and Islamabad.

Considerable attention surrounded the play, inspired by absurdist writings. Both Sit In Silence For A While has now surpassed its national confines and is being staged in Dutch in the Netherlands. After having connected deeply with local audiences, this Pakistani production has now found a new audience over 5,000km away.

“After tremendous success in Pakistan, we’re bringing this piece to Europe for the first time!” proclaimed Studio Antigone — a Dutch theatre production company. The play will have six shows at various venues across the Netherlands until February 9, directed in its translated version by Agaath Witteman, titled They Sit And Say Nothing for A Moment (Dutch to English translation).

Junejo and Farooq sat down for a conversation with Images and shared their excitement over this development.

Actors Marguerite de Brauw and Julien Croiset in the Dutch adaptation — Marieke Timp/Studio Antigo

Actors Marguerite de Brauw and Julien Croiset in the Dutch adaptation — Marieke Timp/Studio Antigo

Junejo — who wrote, directed, co-produced, and acted in the original play — was overjoyed upon learning of the foreign agency’s interest in acquiring the rights to his brainchild. This was his first solo-written play and his third overall.

He was in the company of Farooq, his co-star in the two-hander when they received the news.

“I was like ‘that’s not possible, no, this is a joke. There is no way somebody would [want to] do this. This is a prank or a con of some sort,” the actor-director recalled.

He feels “weird” because, on one hand, he is “thrilled and excited,” but he is also experiencing “a bit of an imposter syndrome.” “Because I am a nobody,” the humble writer said, to which we disagreed, of course. Not only was his play able to deeply connect with the Pakistani audience while it ran, but Junejo has also become well-known after starring in Joyland.

“I appreciate your kindness, but… But, that’s how it, you know, how it felt for me,” he added.

Actors Rasti Farooq and Ali Junejo in the original play — Olomopolo Media

Both Sit In Silence For A While explores the dynamics between a warring couple, played by Junejo and Farooq.

“The play was about things that are universally human, relationships and marriage and the ability of people to communicate, the things that bring people together, the things people do to each other out of care, and how sometimes they leave themselves behind out of care for somebody else,” the director explained.

“So I feel like that would reach out to people, generally speaking. […] That’s what ended up happening,” he said.

“I think that it’s a universal concept. Just the idea of marriage and people and love and relationships and so on and these things. I think that these things are everywhere,” he added.

After the realisation hit that his play was indeed transcending borders, his only hope for his creation was that “it would retain its humour”. “Because a lot of the things in the play are meant to be funny and they’re absurdly funny. They’re obviously a bit dark and all that, but they’re absurdly funny,” Junejo explained. “And my only hope was that everybody gets the joke.”

Speaking of the changes made to the original play for the European adaptation, he clarified that the sole requirement for the Dutch producers was the translation into Dutch. “It was completely up to them how they wanted to translate it once they got the rights to it.” He simply hoped things weren’t “lost in translation.”

“If it gains momentum and if people enjoy reading it and they want to perform it, I am happy to get it into as many languages as they want.” Additionally, he expressed a desire to translate it into Urdu and perform it.

Farooq also shared her perspective with Images regarding the Dutch adaptation. Reflecting on local performances, she found it intriguing that despite a mostly similar audience background, each viewer interpreted the play differently. “Largely more or less [people of] the same kind of background were watching this play, and interpreting it so differently,” she said.

“The characters’ physicality was very important to our performance. At what times, how do they face off against one another? Where are they standing? How do they move? And so it’s really interesting to see how, in this Dutch production, we hadn’t told them about any of this.

“They hadn’t seen how the play had been done here. They didn’t have a recording. So they started afresh. And so [I was] curious to see how they’ve designed the set and whatever I could glean from the pictures, how they designed the physicality of this. And then even in the little review piece that we read, it was so interesting that this person was comparing this play to [Edward Albee’s] Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf? These connections just form inevitably,” the actor added.

Actor Julien Croiset in the Dutch adaptation — Marieke Timp/Studio Antigo

Actor Julien Croiset in the Dutch adaptation — Marieke Timp/Studio Antigo

Touching on the narrative of the play, she emphasised that the central theme of the play is “love”. “It’s a very tender feeling, but it’s also very — it can be a very thorny feeling. [The characters] are trying to bridge this terrible gap between them for the sake of their daughter.

“And the way that that’s been written, all that conflict is woven very intricately with people. So I was just hoping that, in the translation of it, that would also carry through,” she said, mirroring Junejo’s hopes.

She acknowledged that translations are “tricky,” stating that one can never “carry forth the same set of meanings,” and that “things change inevitably.”

The warring couple in the play want to get a divorce and the conflict lies in their refusal to take custody of their daughter afterwards. The wife is too busy, and the husband is too depressed. “The dynamics in the play are fairly simple. There is a couple, and they have agreed that they’re going to separate. They’re not going to be together,” Junejo explained.

“And that’s an age-old issue that exists between people.”

to be Cont'd

Cont'd ...

“They both make complete sense to me, and they are both also at the same time completely wrong about how they’re doing all of this and how they’re navigating this space,” explained Junejo.

Eventually, the two decide to give their daughter up for adoption. “Typically, you’d see an argument where the mother says the daughter should stay with me and at the same time, the father is saying, no, she should stay with me.

“But over here, I wanted to just figure out and see how it would be if the father is saying, ‘no, she should stay with you,’ and the mother is saying, ‘no, she should stay with you,’” he said, subverting the audience’s expectations.

He aimed to explore how far he could “run with the idea,” finding it increasingly amusing yet tense as they delved deeper into it.

“It was really absurd what these two characters were doing to one another, and eventually, we arrived at that delicious kind of balance of painful yet tender,” Farooq added, recalling her journey of embodying the workaholic wife in the play.

The actor’s experience of working together in Joyland helped with their cohesion. They were well aware of each other’s performing techniques and methods.

“[Rasti’s] logic for approaching a scene was always studious, almost academic, but then her instinct was so strong that it would always overpower that, and she’d run with it. It’s almost like she had no idea how to control her instinct. It would just take over and then she’d just glide the scene in a way,” Junejo shared.

“I enjoyed working with that. It’s a very rare thing. People are normally concerned about where the camera is, they’re usually concerned about the light’s position, and they’re very concerned with blocking as well.”

Storytelling is universal​

“Storytelling is something that I feel is completely universal. We do it at home. When we’re kids, we hear stories, we watch them. When we grow older, we tend to lie to our parents about all kinds of things and make up all kinds of stories because we have a lot of ideas,” underscored Junejo.

“Even in all the texts that we read in school, or at home, or through our parents, or films and television, and very importantly, through religion as well, we hear all these beautiful stories and we hear all these great stories of great people that have come before us, and we learn so much about morality,” he said, emphasising the universal nature of stories.

“The characters may have different names, they may speak different languages, but ultimately the sense of right and wrong, good and evil is something we experience all over the world.”

He also hopes that the stories and themes he would like to tell are universal, even if they’re presented in a local context. “The stories I would like to think and write about or be a part of, hopefully, in some way will always be rooted in basic human ideas,” he explained.

“A good example of that is some of the recent films, whether it’s Joyland or The Legend of Maula Jatt. Sure, the language is different, but the thrill you experience while watching something like The Legend of Maula Jatt, the relatability towards characters you feel when you’re watching something like Joyland, you tend to feel it because it is a universal human thing,” he said.

These basic human ideas not only encourage him to write but also make him “feel like a human being.”

Actor Rasti Farooq in the original play — Olomopolo Media

Actor Rasti Farooq in the original play — Olomopolo Media

Focusing on Both Sit In Silence For A While, Farooq explained that Junejo was “very aware of the fact that he didn’t want to ground the play in anything that was distinctively and explicitly Pakistani”.

“All of that helps to make it a very universal story, which would also be because these two characters could be from just about anywhere. The married couple who is arguing about what to do with their child could be from anywhere. And that was the whole point. It was a deliberate choice on Ali’s part, as a writer, to do that. It kind of makes this text ideal for translation.”

Of course, the act of translation adds layers of meaning to the text. “Theatre probably is one of those art forms that is most frequently translated and reinterpreted and performed in a completely different context. And so, I imagine what that does is that it does add meaning.

“It does add layers of meanings to that same text. We didn’t get a chance to go to the Netherlands and watch this play and decipher all the different areas where something has changed or hasn’t and how that has transmuted the meaning of it. But I imagine that some things were lost and some things were added, which is still of so much value to me,” Farooq said.

She believes that when a story, even as unrooted in a specific context as this, travels to a different part of the world and people know it’s written by somebody else, something valuable is transpired.

“I imagine something new is birthed there, and it exists, and it’s alien because it’s from a different place. […] But now it’s also familiar because it’s been translated into your language.

“So for me, something like that is very valuable because the more layers are added to [the meaning], the richer it becomes,” she explained.

The future​

Junejo is currently working on the sequel to Both Sit In Silence For A While titled Both Storm Into The Room Breathless, Enraged And Unforgiving Yet Seemingly Unaware Of Who Is Chasing Whom.

“Ridiculous title,” Junejo chuckled — but it actually is the title of the second play. The director plans to showcase both parts together, and once he is done with that, he’ll write a third one

Users who are viewing this thread

Pakistan Defence Latest

Back