Percentage of Homes With Air Conditioning Around The World

Hamartia Antidote

Elite Member
Joined
Nov 17, 2013
Messages
48,108
Reaction score
27,387
Reputation
462.8
Country of Origin
Country of Residence

map1.jpg

The map above shows the wide disparity between countries in terms of the number of homes with air conditioning. From a high of 91% in Japan to under 5% in India there is a huge variation between countries.

The data comes from the International Energy Agency (IEA).

map2.jpg


map4.jpg
 
Damn 5% for India that is brutal same with mexico that 16% must be cartel ac.
 
IN South Africa there is a HUGE disparity between the unemployed, poor, middle class and wealthy. The average poorer family cannot afford a basic fan despite soaring temperatures during summer. If you're upper middle class or wealthy though you live a life of extravagance including air conditioners and huge electricity accounts
 
Has USA air conditioning in Alaska too?

I dont know any home in Spain without air conditioning, 50%?
 
For dry climate there is a cheaper alternative than air conditioning: evaporative cooling (it's what farms use to keep alive animals when temperature is high).
 
For dry climate there is a cheaper alternative than air conditioning: evaporative cooling (it's what farms use to keep alive animals when temperature is high).
My very first home had evaporative cooling. It worked great until the summer rains came up from Baja. Then for approximately 2-1/2 months it was useless.
 
My very first home had evaporative cooling. It worked great until the summer rains came up from Baja. Then for approximately 2-1/2 months it was useless.
In the coast? In the coast is useless, there is high humidity.

It's useful in deserts and similar places.

Iran qanats took advantage of that cooling centuries ago.
 
Thousands years before USA existed, Iran already had air cooling.

 
In the coast? In the coast is useless, there is high humidity.

It's useful in deserts and similar places.

Iran qanats took advantage of that cooling centuries ago.
See below. Arizona's summer rains come primarily from the Gulf of California:

1791236529866.png

When that occurs, evaporative cooling is useless.
 
Has USA air conditioning in Alaska too?

I dont know any home in Spain without air conditioning, 50%?

AC-by-State_02-web.webp


7%

Interesting stats.. I think this stat does show that many people somehow think Californians are wealthy but I have always thought the opposite and I think this shows it. Even the hillbillies in West Virginia are way ahead of them in Air Conditioning.

Sadly the people of Hawaii are at only 56% too.
I went to the Big Island of Hawaii and could immediately tell with the RFID security gates in stores things were not so rosy in the "Island Paradise".
 
Last edited:
AC-by-State_02-web.webp


7%

Interesting stats.. I think this stat does show that many people somehow think Californians are wealthy but I have always thought the opposite and I think this shows it. Even the hillbillies in West Virginia are way ahead of them in Air Conditioning.

Sadly the people of Hawaii at only 56% too.
I went to the Big Island of Hawaii and could immediately tell with the RFID security gates in stores things were not so rosy in the "Island Paradise".
I think if you split California SoCal percentage is at 90+?
 
We here in Toronto or even Canada in general get very small summers (like july and august).
Houses obviously have their central a/c with cooling and heating both.

Newer condo builds have a/c systems but older apartments and condos only have central heating….people use their own ac units installed

My apartment building has good heating but no cooler/ac, so in summer we just use fans (its good enough as our side faces rising sun) as it doesn’t get very hot…..the few days or couple of weeks of humidity are ok, we are from hot country so we can tolerate

I am not able to tolerate extreme cold but summers i can tolerate and its easier to work outdoors (unfortunately my job is outdoors type).

I wish we had miami or florida/california weather all yr , lolz
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top