• English is the official language of this forum. Posts in other languages will receive a warning, except in threads where foreign languages are permitted.

Probe launched into Tamil Nadu coal import scam involving Adani group

Mrloveday

Banned
Feb 9, 2024
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
The Tamil Nadu Directorate of Vigilance and Anti-Corruption commences investigation into allegations of serious irregularities that caused a huge loss to the exchequer

The allegation of Arappor Iyakkam, a Chennai-based organisation, is that there was massive corruption in the import of coal involving Tangedco officials, Adani Global Pte Ltd. File

The Tamil Nadu government has given its nod for an investigation into the multicrore coal import scam involving the Adani group and others. The Directorate of Vigilance and Anti-Corruption (DVAC) has registered a preliminary inquiry into allegations of serious irregularities in the tender conditions and import of coal that caused a huge loss to the State government.

We have received clearance from the government to register a preliminary inquiry and investigate allegations in the import of coal by the Tamil Nadu Generation and Distribution Corporation (Tangedco). The sanction under the provisions of Section 17A of the Prevention of Corruption Act, 1988, was accorded based on a complaint lodged by Arappor Iyakkam, a private body,” official sources toldThe Hindu on Tuesday.

The allegation of Arappor Iyakkam, a city-based organisation that works towards transparency and accountability in governance, is that there was massive corruption in the import of coal involving Tangedco officials, Adani Global Pte Ltd. and others to the tune of ₹6,066 crore between 2012-2016. Despite complaints lodged with specific evidence in 2018 and 2019, no case was registered by the DVAC.

On January 31, 2023, Arappor Iyakkam convener Jayaram Venkatesan wrote to Chief Minister M.K. Stalin that no step was taken to investigate the coal import scam which led to Tangedco incurring huge losses and debt. “Even after one-and-a-half years of assuming office, your government has so far not taken any steps to investigate the massive coal import scam of the previous government to the tune of ₹6,066 crore of which around ₹3,000 crore of corruption was done by Adani Global Pte Limited alone,” he alleged.

CAG findings

Mr. Venkatesan said he had furnished evidence in his earlier complaints as to how the tender conditions were changed after 2011 in order to favour Adani Global Pte Ltd. and a small coterie of firms importing coal. Even the CAG found that the turnover requirement for tender value of ₹100 crore was increased to almost ₹1,000 crore to favour a few firms.

He alleged that Adani Global Pte Ltd. and a few others were given tenders at least $15 to $20 more than the market rate per metric ton. The proof of market price published by the Indonesian government then was evidence to prove the allegation. The poor quality of coal imported also resulted in inefficient thermal power generation leading more losses.

More recently on June 26, 2024, when the State Assembly session was on, Mr. Venkatesan wrote to Speaker M. Appavu alleging that the government was delaying accord of sanction to the DVAC to investigate the coal import scam and sought permission to enter the Assembly and stage a silent protest.

Earlier inquiry closed

The sources said a preliminary inquiry was registered in the AIADMK government to probe the allegations of coal import by Tangedco. But the inquiry was closed as there was no prima facie evidence to proceed further in the case. After the present government cleared the decks to re-open the case, a special team led by an officer in the rank of a Superintendent of Police was formed to investigate the matter, they added.

@vsdoc @Sharma Ji

Source:
The Hindu

vsdoc

Elite Member
Jul 8, 2009
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
Adani is above the law.

Could be. Sure.

But the tempo outburst was out of character. It spoke of uncontrollable anger, impotent rage.

When an untouchable gets touched, it is a clear message. And the sharks come in to feed.

I see it a different way.

The more you see Adani getting touched, the more you can be sure we are heading towards Modi's endgame.

The young man is coming in for the kill.

Modi will not be allowed a graceful exit.

Fitting I say.

Mrloveday

Banned
Feb 9, 2024
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
Could be. Sure.

But the tempo outburst was out of character. It spoke of uncontrollable anger, impotent rage.

When an untouchable gets touched, it is a clear message. And the sharks come in to feed.

I see it a different way.

The more you see Adani getting touched, the more you can be sure we are heading towards Modi's endgame.

Modi will not be allowed a graceful exit.

Fitting I say.
Many Congress leaders have invested in Adani's group.

I don't think that Rahul will bring him down.

India's Rockefeller on steroids

Sharma Ji

Banned
Sep 18, 2012
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
who, that 54 year greying beard young man you're such a fan of.. Bianca's kid bro and Sonja's son.. that one ?

anyway, story not really of interest to me, let them investigate, and the law take it's course.

what I don't get is Nilu mia's obsession with Gujaratis and certain other groups. Would you care to explain, bhaijaan ?

vsdoc

Elite Member
Jul 8, 2009
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
who, that 54 year greying beard young man you're such a fan of.. Bianca's kid bro and Sonja's son.. that one ?

anyway, story not really of interest to me, let them investigate, and the law take it's course.

what I don't get is Nilu mia's obsession with Gujaratis and certain other groups. Would you care to explain, bhaijaan ?

You seem interested enough to comment.

Mrloveday

Banned
Feb 9, 2024
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
Saw many with grey beard in their 20s.
Gotta give it to Rahul, he kept his stress under control.

anyway, story not really of interest to me, let them investigate, and the law take it's course
Investigators should accept bribes or resign or end up like Justice Loya.

Bro. You are dense.

Rahul is doing nothing.

Can do nothing.
The Congress apparently fought British colonialists but has no interest in fighting Gujju colonialists.

vsdoc

Elite Member
Jul 8, 2009
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
Saw many with grey beard in their 20s.
Gotta give it to Rahul, he kept his stress under control.

Investigators should accept bribes or resign or end up like Justice Loya.

The Congress apparently fought British colonialists but has no interest in fighting Gujju colonialists.

Sigh

😔

Mrloveday

Banned
Feb 9, 2024
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
I commented on your comment and Nilu bhaijaan's obsession with the Adanis.
Screenshot_2024-07-03-16-00-19-112-edit_com.miui.gallery.jpg

CC @vsdoc @Bagheera0084 @Paitoo

vsdoc

Elite Member
Jul 8, 2009
Country of Origin
Country of Residence

Users who are viewing this thread