TF-X / KAAN / Hürjet Turkish Fighter & Trainer Aircrafts News & Discussions

MMM-E

Elite Member
Jul 6, 2017
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
What's the story with the landing gear? I know they don't retract them on the first prototype maiden flight, but I thought I heard something about the next prototype will have "working or retracting landing gears" or something like that. Did they make these as fixed for now to keep the pace they wanted and figured they would work on the gear mechanism on the next proto?

The landing gear is from Turkish company TAAC

The firs prototype was built for a technology demonstrator , for ground tests and for the first taxi trial, but not a flight ... not representative of the final production Aircraft

The actual first flight was expected from the second prototype in 2025

but the first Prototype has received permission for airworthiness after fundamental changes. including the landing gear which is no longer the same. The entire Aircraft was put in pieces and reassembled according to flight requirements

1715239215407.jpeg

1715237002515.jpeg

People says why is the landing gear open ?
Because for safety, almost every test flıght goes like this when it comes to landing gear.

The Landing gear was not retracted as part of the safety rules during the entire flight.
This safety measure is a standard precaution in case there is a malfunction on the aircraft or on the landing gear.

S.Korean KF-21 also did not fold the landing gear in its first two flights

According to TAI
The next prototypes will be structurally different and will even be shortened in length and have corrections in the nose structure

The 2nd prototype will fold the landing gear in its flights

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2020
Country of Origin
Country of Residence

The firs prototype was built for a technology demonstrator , for ground tests and for the first taxi trial, but not a flight ... not representative of the final production Aircraft

The actual first flight was expected from the second prototype in 2025

but the first Prototype has received permission for airworthiness after fundamental changes. including the landing gear which is no longer the same. The entire Aircraft was put in pieces and reassembled according to flight requirements

View attachment 39118
View attachment 39103

People says why is the landing gear open ?
Because for safety, almost every test flıght goes like this when it comes to landing gear.

The Landing gear was not retracted as part of the safety rules during the entire flight.
This safety measure is a standard precaution in case there is a malfunction on the aircraft or on the landing gear.

S.Korean KF-21 also did not fold the landing gear in its first two flights

According to TAI
The next prototypes will be structurally different and will even be shortened in length and have corrections in the nose structure

The 2nd prototype will fold the landing gear in its flights

But it's a second flight, it's should be retracted on second flight, or it have no landing gear retracting mechanism? I mean first prototype?

MMM-E

Elite Member
Jul 6, 2017
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
I have no idea why Türkiye would even mention its intention to export this thing. I'm hearing Pakistan, Egypt and others why? If it was me, this is what I would be saying if anyone was interested at this super early stage - first I'd be like lemme think about it.................. :unsure:
then I would be like uuuhh no! 🖕

Even 3 years ago, many people and countries saw the KAAN project as overly ambitious and pessimistic

But today prospective partners like Pakistan is taking note of Turkiye’s capability to stick to its aggressive timeline to get the 5th gen Fighter operational.
-- Ukraine has also expressed the desire to purchase KAAN
-- Azerbaijan joined the KAAN project in 2023
-- According to TAI , Egypt and Maleysia also prospective customers
-- Saudi Arabia , Qatar and The UAE also can purchase KAAN in future

KAAN is not only a defense industry milestone but also a geopolitically critical key
The world will not have many options regarding the 5th-gen Fighter Jet

USA will never sell F-35 to any muslim Country
only FC-31 . KAAN and SU-57

KAAN will be the only tactical military aviation element in high quality NATO standards

.....KAAN will be full of indigenous and will be free from USA ITAR regulations .....

Now only Engine and Ejection Seat from abroad
--TAI develops ejection seat instead of British Martin-Baker
--TR-MOTOR develops turbofan Engine instead of American GE

Turkish Componies will equip the KAAN with state of the art Systems
--
KAAN has stealth design , advanced magnetic coating , RAM panel layer and internal weapon bay for low RCS
--
HMDS (Helmet Display System) with AI-enhanced battlefield awareness
-- Excellent EW capabilities with ASELSAN FEWS -- Fighter Electronic Warfare Suite
-- Artificial Intelligence Co-pilot
-- Pilot Health Tracking
If the Pilot faints, KAAN will automatically return to the base from which took off

-- TAI will develop the ejection seat
-- Canopy from VOLO
-- Landing gear from TAAC
1715245741322.jpeg

1-- KAAN has high-capacity networking, AI, data fusion
It uses artificial intelligence, autonomy, sensors and data fusion.
Communication uses human-machine interface technologies for this purpose

with AI-enhanced battlefield awareness ( 360° situational awareness with 4 AESA radars - sensor fusion with EOTS , IRST )

high-capacity networking , AI, data fusion ... its belong to 6th gen

Aselsan develops BURFIS AESA Radar ( 2.000+ GaN T/R modules ) to compare with APG-77v1 AESA Radar ( 1,956 T/R GaAS modules )
1715245376394.jpeg

Aselsan KARAT IRST
1715245348563.jpeg

Aselsan TOYGUN EOTS
1715245394795.jpeg

Aselsan YILDIRIM-300 DIRCM directed-energy weapon as a laser CIWS
DIRCM capability is belong to 6th gen
1715245465765.jpeg

KAAN use the 5th generation main management Computers and real-time operating system with integrated modular architecture developed by TÜBİTAK BİLGEM
1715245333886.jpeg

2-- Cockpit
Multifunctional Integrated Modular Display
AMLCD widescreen

It is an intelligent multifunctional unit with touch feature, where the pilot can watch sensor videos, see digital maps and tactical symbologies, and manage the system.
1715245517201.png

3-- Aselsan TULGAR Helmet Mounted Display System (HMDS)

-- Visor Projected, See-Through Color Display
-- Integrated Digital Night Vision Projected on Visor
-- Hybrid (Inertial & Optical) Head Tracking
-- Targeting where the pilot is looking
-- Multicolored interface. ( first in the world )

A similar helmet technology is also used by F-35 Pilots
1715245478933.png

4-- Precise and accurate weapon firing from internal weapon bays at high/supersonic speed

Turkish Fighter provides air dominance through:

- Increased air to air engagement ranges with Novel Weapons
- Precise and accurate weapon firing from internal weapon bays at high/supersonic speed
- Augmented lethality with support of Artificial Intelligence and Neural Networks

25 km BOZDOGAN WVR air to air missile
100+ km GOKDOGAN BVR air to air missile
200 km GOKHAN ramjet powered long range air to air missile
1715247298880.png

5-- Even KAAN with full data-to-decision (D2D) capability for multi-layered distributed team of diverse manned aircraft working in concert with unmanned types ( KAAN , ANKA-3, KIZILELMA )

full data-to-decision (D2D) capability is belong to 6th gen

6-- TR-MOTOR and TEI develops 35.000 lbf turbofan Engine with the latest technologies
They says about 2028-2030

Turkish turbofan Engine technology is not on paper
Turkish turbofan Engine technology on the way through TF-10.000 project

1715245558217.png

Last edited:

BlueSky

Dec 22, 2023
Even 3 years ago, many people and countries saw the KAAN project as overly ambitious and pessimistic

But today prospective partners like Pakistan is taking note of Turkiye’s capability to stick to its aggressive timeline to get the 5th gen Fighter operational.

KAAN is not only a defense industry milestone but also a geopolitically critical key
The world will not have many options regarding the 5th-gen Fighter Jet

USA will never sell F-35 to any muslim Country
only FC-31 . KAAN and SU-57

KAAN will be the only tactical military aviation element in high quality NATO standards

.....KAAN will be full of indigenous and will be free from USA ITAR regulations .....

Now only Engine and Ejection Seat from abroad
--TAI develops ejection seat instead of British Martin-Baker
--TR-MOTOR develops turbofan Engine instead of American GE

Turkish Componies will equip the KAAN with state of the art Systems
--
KAAN has stealth design , advanced magnetic coating , RAM panel layer and internal weapon bay for low RCS
--
HMDS (Helmet Display System) with AI-enhanced battlefield awareness
-- Excellent EW capabilities with ASELSAN FEWS -- Fighter Electronic Warfare Suite
-- Artificial Intelligence Co-pilot
-- Pilot Health Tracking
If the Pilot faints, KAAN will automatically return to the base from which took off

-- TAI will develop the ejection seat
-- Canopy from VOLO
-- Landing gear from TAAC
View attachment 39136

1-- KAAN has high-capacity networking, AI, data fusion
It uses artificial intelligence, autonomy, sensors and data fusion.
Communication uses human-machine interface technologies for this purpose

with AI-enhanced battlefield awareness ( 360° situational awareness with 4 AESA radars - sensor fusion with EOTS , IRST )

high-capacity networking , AI, data fusion ... its belong to 6th gen

Aselsan develops BURFIS AESA Radar ( 2.000+ GaN T/R modules ) to compare with APG-77v1 AESA Radar ( 1,956 T/R GaAS modules )
View attachment 39130
Aselsan KARAT IRST
View attachment 39129
Aselsan TOYGUN EOTS
View attachment 39131
Aselsan YILDIRIM-300 DIRCM directed-energy weapon as a laser CIWS
DIRCM capability is belong to 6th gen
View attachment 39132
KAAN use the 5th generation main management Computers and real-time operating system with integrated modular architecture developed by TÜBİTAK BİLGEM
View attachment 39128

2-- Cockpit
Multifunctional Integrated Modular Display
AMLCD widescreen

It is an intelligent multifunctional unit with touch feature, where the pilot can watch sensor videos, see digital maps and tactical symbologies, and manage the system.
View attachment 39134

3-- Aselsan TULGAR Helmet Mounted Display System (HMDS)

-- Visor Projected, See-Through Color Display
-- Integrated Digital Night Vision Projected on Visor
-- Hybrid (Inertial & Optical) Head Tracking
-- Targeting where the pilot is looking
-- Multicolored interface. ( first in the world )

A similar helmet technology is also used by F-35 Pilots
View attachment 39133

4-- Precise and accurate weapon firing from internal weapon bays at high/supersonic speed

Turkish Fighter provides air dominance through:

- Increased air to air engagement ranges with Novel Weapons
- Precise and accurate weapon firing from internal weapon bays at high/supersonic speed
- Augmented lethality with support of Artificial Intelligence and Neural Networks

25 km BOZDOGAN WVR air to air missile
100+ km GOKDOGAN BVR air to air missile
200 km GOKHAN ramjet powered long range air to air missile
View attachment 39139

5-- Even KAAN with full data-to-decision (D2D) capability for multi-layered distributed team of diverse manned aircraft working in concert with unmanned types ( KAAN , ANKA-3, KIZILELMA )

full data-to-decision (D2D) capability is belong to 6th gen

6-- TR-MOTOR and TEI develops 35.000 lbf turbofan Engine with the latest technologies
They says about 2028-2030

Turkish turbofan Engine technology is not on paper
Turkish turbofan Engine technology on the way through TF-10.000 project

View attachment 39135

Lame ..:cool:

MMM-E

Elite Member
Jul 6, 2017
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
What is the RCS (Radar Cross Section) ?

Radar Cross Section for any Aircraft is mainly based on 3 things if to say precisely and these are;
  1. RCS of the frontal part/section of the Aircraft.
  2. RCS of the rear part/section of the Aircraft.
  3. The wavelength of the radar signal and how far away the target is from the radar.

Aselsan develops BURFIS AESA Radar ( 2.000+ GaN T/R modules ) to compare with APG-77v1 AESA Radar ( 1,956 T/R GaAS modules ) to detect RCS of 1m2 target from 200 km away
1715253876798.jpeg

4.5 generation Fighter Jets can not match with the KAAN in BVR combat

F-15EX , F-16V , F-18E/F , J-10C , SU-30MKI , SU-35 , RAFALE , Eurofighter have no any chance against the KAAN in BVR combat

RCS
KAAN Block0 : 0.01 m2 ... ( the worst possibility )
Eurofighter : 0.5 - 1,2 m2
F-16V : 1 - 1,2 m2
F-18E/F : 1 m2
RAFALE : 1 m 2
J-10C : 0,5 - 1,5 m2
SU-35 : 1-3 m2
F-15EX : 5 m2
SU-30MKI : 4-15 m2

1715253598112.jpeg

Range of engagement
KAAN : 175 km
F-15EX : 47 km
F-18E/F : 47 km
Eurofighter : 38 km
RAFALE : 35 km
F-16V : 29 km

RESULT
KAAN is designed with a number of features to reduce its RCS and make it less detectable by radar.

KAAN will have first look , first fire and first kill capability against the 4.5 gen Fighters in BVR combat

Also KAAN will have full data-to-decision (D2D) capability for multi-layered distributed team of diverse manned aircraft working in concert with unmanned types
( KAAN , ANKA-4, KIZILELMA )

KIZILELMA and ANKA-4 unmanned stealth Fighter Jets will help KAAN in future tactical air combat
1715256677637.jpeg

and this capability will be belonged to a few Countries in the world such as USA , Turkiye , The UK and China

Last edited:

retaxis

Nov 16, 2007
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
MMME favourite word is prospective customer lol. Everyone is prospective customer but how many people have put in orders for KAAN? -0

Falcon26

Dec 24, 2015
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
This is incredible. I don't think the entire aviation community has really grasped this major development yet. Not only was it built in really a record time (super-fast ala Chinese style lol), but the visible quality of the body and specifically the skin is amazing. You can see the smoothness and lack of any fasteners in the video of the maiden flight when they were interviewing the pilot and it was directly behind him, so it was close, and I couldn't see any panel joints or seams or rivets or any kind of fasteners. It's truly remarkable.

This is not something anyone can just whip up and get up in the air safely and smoothly like that. Amazing and credit to the Turkish aviation industry this is an incredible accomplishment man, wow.

And the landing was exceptionally smooth.
View attachment 39035

IMO, I think it was good they went with the dual engines instead of the F-35 concept. With the pace this thing was developed, hopefully we'll see more soon, like the weapons bays and even cockpit close-ups.

I have no idea why Türkiye would even mention its intention to export this thing. I'm hearing Pakistan, Egypt and others why? If it was me, this is what I would be saying if anyone was interested at this super early stage - first I'd be like lemme think about it.................. :unsure:

What's the story with the landing gear? I know they don't retract them on the first prototype maiden flight, but I thought I heard something about the next prototype will have "working or retracting landing gears" or something like that. Did they make these as fixed for now to keep the pace they wanted and figured they would work on the gear mechanism on the next proto?
Great points. I would say the built quality of the TFX is even more impressive & advanced than the J-20 to the naked eye.

That_Guy

Think Tank Analyst
Mar 29, 2013
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
@Quwa

Quick question. Knowing what you know, could Pakistan become the third nation in the world to operate two stealth fighters?

I, along with a few others have speculated that PAF is looking to buy FC-31s in the short term, and KAAN in the medium to long term for a sort of hi-lo mix of 5th gen fighters.

Even if Pakistan becomes a trillion dollars economy by 2040 as some have speculated, could Pakistan even afford it? Heck, could Pakistan even afford to operate one of these fighters in big enough numbers to replace the venerable F-16s?

Quwa

Research Partner
May 15, 2006
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
@Quwa

Quick question. Knowing what you know, could Pakistan become the third nation in the world to operate two stealth fighters?

I, along with a few others have speculated that PAF is looking to buy FC-31s in the short term, and KAAN in the medium to long term for a sort of hi-lo mix of 5th gen fighters.

Even if Pakistan becomes a trillion dollars economy by 2040 as some have speculated, could Pakistan even afford it? Heck, could Pakistan even afford to operate one of these fighters in big enough numbers to replace the venerable F-16s?
IMO...if we're thinking about the world in 10 years (2035), 15 years (2040), or 20 years (2050), then would it even be surprising to see Pakistan operate two stealth fighter types?

We're imagining the future as though it'll happen next year, but the world of the 2030s and 2040s will be different. For example, could we imagine China manufacturing anything but stealth fighters by that point? Will the underlying technologies driving those fighters be as costly and complex to field in 15 years as today?

My point being, a stealth fighter today could simply be a fighter in 2040.

That_Guy

Think Tank Analyst
Mar 29, 2013
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
IMO...if we're thinking about the world in 10 years (2035), 15 years (2040), or 20 years (2050), then would it even be surprising to see Pakistan operate two stealth fighter types?

We're imagining the future as though it'll happen next year, but the world of the 2030s and 2040s will be different. For example, could we imagine China manufacturing anything but stealth fighters by that point? Will the underlying technologies driving those fighters be as costly and complex to field in 15 years as today?

My point being, a stealth fighter today could simply be a fighter in 2040.
That's actually a really good point.

GoMig-21

Elite Member
Oct 16, 2016
Country of Origin
Country of Residence

Yep, I figured that was the case. I was just wondering if the retracting mechanism was or wasn't completed in this 2nd flight like some were saying, but it seems like it is which is excellent. The only thing I personally would've like (which doesn't mean jack diddly squat lol just a personal opinion) is the flaring of the main landing gear in the first prototype looks better than the straight one in the 2nd. They come out at an angle which is more common like I mentioned before, most likely to widen the span between wheel to wheel for greater stability. But since it has a wide ventral body like the F-15, it's obviously fine as it is.

It has a resemblance to the F-22, but that's a good thing. If you're going to be inspired by something, make it from a proven one.

1715281206589.png
1715282237215.png

Nah, tell them all to go to hell.

hyperman

INT'L MOD
Jan 6, 2020
Country of Origin
Country of Residence

Large scale sales can fund the expansion of production, bring down costs per unit and fund the 6th gen aircraft down the line.

Turkey likely won't sell every system on the aircraft, some things will be slightly downgraded to protect critical tech, like all other platforms that other countries export. But exports are key to a sustainable defense industry.

MMM-E

Elite Member
Jul 6, 2017
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
TUSAS General Manager Temel Kotil .... INTERVİEW

-- KAAN development cost is expected to exceed 6 billion USD

"We are better than the Germans"

Stating that KAAN was built by young Engineers , Kotil said, "Our KAAN is built by young people, . Young people can make this plane better than Germany, France, Japan or South Korea. In any technical matter, they can do it better." "It can be better. You will say, 'How can Germany not do this? How can we be better than Germany? We really can, we are really good.'

"Germans should continue making Mercedes"

All engineers in Germany are my age.. They are old. Their souls have also aged. This is the truth. Let them keep making Mercedes.

The Germans do not have a plane like KAAN. We are one of 4 Countries in the world

Turkish Aerospace Industries
-- KAAN 5th gen Fighter Jet
-- HURJET next gen jet trainer and light attack Aircraft
-- HURKUS trainer Aircraft
-- ANKA-S MALE UCAV
-- AKSUNGUR MALE UCAV
-- ANKA-3 flying wing stealth UCAV
-- T-129 Attack Helicopter
-- T-929 heavy Attack Helicopter
-- T-625 Utility Helicopter
-- T-925 Utility Helicopter
-- SUPER SIMSEK jet powered Kamikaze Drone
-- GOKTURK-2 Earth observation Satellite
-- TURKSAT-6A communications Satellite

1715605127903.png

"Our greatest asset is our young People"

Explaining what happened during a high-level visit from Europe, Kotil said:

The chief of general staff of a major European country came to TAI last year and said, 'Our young people do this and that, but they do not build Fighter Jets they are uninterested.'

'No problem,' I said. 'You give the money, we will give you a Fighter Jet.'

1715605810529.png

"We will deliver 20 KAANs to the Air Force in 2028"

Kotil said, "We will deliver 20 KAANs to the Turkish Air Force in 2028. There will be hundreds in 2030-2032 and later. This is a phase of the work. In fact, there will be another KAAN with 6th gen capability" '

KAAN will be almost 100% domestic. Except for its engine and ejection seat, it was made by local companies. Hopefully, we will fly with our own engine in 2028-2029. We have to do this. You cannot depend on any country. said.

"KAAN will be better than F-35"

F-35 carries 6 tons, KAAN carries 10 tons. F-35 is single engine. Having a single engine means more energy and more illumination on the radar.

Our KAAN is mostly compared to the F-22.

1715605742892.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Pakistan Defence Latest