USS Benfold lost power in South China Sea, leaving crew of the US Navy warship without toilets, hot food and AC for 4 days

BHAN85

Trusted Member
Joined
Jan 5, 2015
Messages
6,598
Reaction score
5,184
Reputation
1,699.3
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
Guided-missile destroyer USS Benfold (DDG-65) spent four days in the South China Sea without power after an engineering failure, USNI News has learned.

Benfold suffered the engineering casualty resulting in a loss of power last month, Cmdr. Matthew Comer, spokesperson with U.S. 7th Fleet, told USNI News in a statement.

“On July 24, 2026, while conducting routine operations in the Indo-Pacific, Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Benfold (DDG 65) reported an engineering casualty involving its generators, causing a loss of power,” reads the statement. “There were no injuries to the crew, who demonstrated resilience, grit, professionalism and unwavering steadiness in their response.”

The loss of power meant sailors were without galley services, toilets and air conditioning. Potable water was also affected, Comer said. He did not respond to a question about how sailors handled waste.

The George Washington Carrier Strike Group supported the destroyer, according to 7th Fleet. USS Robert Smalls (CG-62), the cruiser attached to the George Washington Carrier Strike Group, helped provide meals for the crew, Comer said.




USS George Washington is now heading to Iran, if something similar happens again in South China Sea, US Navy would need to ask help to PLA Navy to avoid die of starvation.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Pakistan Defence Latest

Back
Top