USS Benfold Was Stalled in the South China Sea for Four Days After Engineering Casualty

Beijingwalker

VIP Member
Joined
Nov 4, 2011
Messages
92,973
Reaction score
113,487
Reputation
2,146.2
Country of Origin
Country of Residence

USS Benfold Was Stalled in the South China Sea for Four Days After Engineering Casualty​

HEATHER MONGILIO
AUGUST 14, 2026 10:18 PM

9835497-scaled.jpg
Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Benfold (DDG-65) conducts routine operations while underway in the South China Sea on July 23, 2026. US Navy photo

Guided-missile destroyer USS Benfold (DDG-65) spent four days in the South China Sea without power after an engineering failure, USNI News has learned.

Benfold suffered the engineering casualty resulting in a loss of power last month, Cmdr. Matthew Comer, spokesperson with U.S. 7th Fleet, told USNI News in a statement.

“On July 24, 2026, while conducting routine operations in the Indo-Pacific, Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Benfold (DDG 65) reported an engineering casualty involving its generators, causing a loss of power,” reads the statement. “There were no injuries to the crew, who demonstrated resilience, grit, professionalism and unwavering steadiness in their response.”

The loss of power meant sailors were without galley services, toilets and air conditioning. Potable water was also affected, Comer said. He did not respond to a question about how sailors handled waste.

The George Washington Carrier Strike Group supported the destroyer, according to 7th Fleet. USS Robert Smalls (CG-62), the cruiser attached to the George Washington Carrier Strike Group, helped provide meals for the crew, Comer said.

Benfold arrived in Subic Bay and was met by personnel from the Ship Repair Facility – Japan Regional Maintenance Center on July 28, with crew receiving contracted lodging off the ship the next day. Power was restored on July 30, Comer said.

All repairs were completed by Aug. 7 when the ship completed a berth shift for fuel. The destroyer left Subic Bay on Aug. 8.

Benfold, which had been sailing with the George Washington Carrier Strike Group, pulled into Yokosuka, Japan, on Thursday, according to ship spotters. It did not transit the Malacca Strait with the other ships of the GW CSG, which are likely heading toward the Middle East.

The ship is currently in port in Yokosuka, Comer said

The Navy is investigating the cause of the engineering failure.
 

U.S. Navy destroyer lost power for 4 days in South China Sea​

The ship’s crew lost access last month to drinkable water, running toilets and air conditioning, as the fleet sees heavy use by the Trump administration.

August 17, 2026 at 6:17 p.m. EDTToday at 6:17 p.m. EDT

imrs.php

The guided-missile destroyer USS Benfold arrives at port in Qingdao, China, in 2016. (Borg Wong/AP)

By Tara Copp
A U.S. Navy destroyer experienced a complete loss of power while deployed in the South China Sea last month, leaving sailors without drinkable water, meals, running toilets or air conditioning for four days.

 

USS Benfold Lost Power After an Engineering Failure​

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.



Aug 17, 2026

A US Navy destroyer faced a major engineering setback in the Pacific after losing power, reportedly leaving key onboard systems including toilets, air conditioning and the galley out of action.

The incident involving USS Benfold comes as the US Navy faces growing operational demands, putting the spotlight on the challenges of keeping its warships mission-ready.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Pakistan Defence Latest

Back
Top