Vietnam Airlines considers buying Chinese C919 passenger jets

Beijingwalker

Elite Member
Nov 4, 2011
Country of Origin
Country of Residence

Vietnam Airlines considers buying Chinese C919 passenger jets

Reuters / Jun 27, 2024, 16:22 IST

HANOI: Vietnam Airlines is considering buying Chinese-made C919 passenger jets to cope with a shortage of aircraft, local media reported on Thursday.

"The airline is working on a plan to operate this fleet of aircraft," business newspaper CafeF reported.

Vietnam Airlines didn't immediately respond to a request for comment.

On Monday, the company had said in a statement that global engine recalls by Pratt & Whitney were causing aircraft shortages and impacting operations.

The C919 passenger jet, manufactured by Commercial Aviation Corp of China (COMAC), landed in Vietnam for the first time in February, after making its international debut at the Singapore Airshow.

Beijingwalker

Elite Member
Nov 4, 2011
Country of Origin
Country of Residence

Vietnam Airlines eyes purchase of Chinese C919 jets amid aircraft shortage​

By
André Orban
-
28 June 2024

C919_takeoff-768x513.jpg

Vietnam Airlines is exploring the acquisition of Chinese-made C919 passenger jets to address its current aircraft shortage, according to a report by the business newspaper CafeF. The airline has yet to confirm or comment on the potential purchase.

This consideration comes as Vietnam Airlines grapples with operational disruptions due to global engine recalls by Pratt & Whitney.

The C919, manufactured by Commercial Aviation Corporation of China (Comac), first arrived in Vietnam in February after debuting internationally at the Singapore Airshow.

ety

Dec 11, 2023
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
I think now Vietnam like many countries doesn't want to buy the trash Boeing airplanes from its friend US. C919 is a good alternative to the Airbus plane.

Yellow is Okay

Dec 14, 2023
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
I think now Vietnam like many countries doesn't want to buy the trash Boeing airplanes from its friend US. C919 is a good alternative to the Airbus plane.

Vietnam Airlines has announced its intention to purchase 50 narrow-body Boeing 737-8s worth billions of dollars. The announcement coincides with the US President Joe Biden’s visit to Vietnam for key talks on trade and closer diplomatic relations.

https://spirit.vietnamairlines.com/...ith-boeing-to-purchase-50-boeing-737-max.html

Even a memorandum doesn't bind you to future purchase obligations, let alone considerations. It will still take a lot of time for the deal to materialize.

ety

Dec 11, 2023
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
Even a memorandum doesn't bind you to future purchase obligations, let alone considerations. It will still take a lot of time for the deal to materialize.
No one is saying Vietnam is buying C919. I just said it's an alternative.

Viet

Elite Member
Jun 18, 2012
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
Yes under the condition the jet is approved by US, EU and VN aviation authorities. That’s what Vietnam Airlines say. That will be a long process.

ety

Dec 11, 2023
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
Yes under the condition the jet is approved by US, EU and VN aviation authorities. That’s what Vietnam Airlines say. That will be a long process.
Why do you want EU and US approvals ? The C919 will only be flying regionally in most neighboring Asian countries, not intercontinentially to Europe or America. US is not likely going to approve it anytime soon out of protectionism, dont know about EU, maybe sooner.

Viet

Elite Member
Jun 18, 2012
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
Why do you want EU and US approvals ? The C919 will only be flying regionally in most neighboring Asian countries, not intercontinentially to Europe or America. US is not likely going to approve it anytime soon out of protectionism, dont know about EU, maybe sooner.
actually not needed whether or not approved by US or EU authority. In theory the plane just needs approval from VN aviation authority. Honestly I don’t know. Vietnam Airlines probably just wants to play safe. From what I see the only made in China in the aviation sector is the landing bridge in airports.

ety

Dec 11, 2023
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
actually not needed whether or not approved by US or EU authority. In theory the plane just needs approval from VN aviation authority. Honestly I don’t know. Vietnam Airlines probably just wants to play safe. From what I see the only made in China in the aviation sector is the landing bridge in airports.
No, more than 60% parts of C919 are made in China, the rest are imported from EU and US.

AViet

Dec 11, 2009
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
I hope to see c919 and Arj21 in Vietnamese airlines fleets soon.
With the success to C219 and 319 projects

Viet

Elite Member
Jun 18, 2012
Country of Origin
Country of Residence

ety

Dec 11, 2023
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
I mean jet bridge or landing bridge at airports. I see many are made in China.
no Chinese made aircraft in commercial service neither in Vietnam nor in in the west yet.

View attachment 51760
Not many countries yet, no EU countries, I think China is only in the process of exporting some commercial passenger airplanes C919 and ARJ21 to Indonesia, Borneo, Congo, and couple US companies so far.

Last edited:

Viet

Elite Member
Jun 18, 2012
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
Not many countries yet, no EU countries, I think China is only in the process of exporting some commercial passenger airplanes C919 and ARJ21 to Indonesia, Borneo, Congo, and couple US companies so far.
Well, good luck. Boeing is exposed as a bunch of liars. That is a chance in a century for China.

ety

Dec 11, 2023
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
Well, good luck. Boeing is exposed as a bunch of liars. That is a chance in a century for China.
The below article says Vietnam's VietJet Airlines has purchased some C919. But, COMAC can't keep up the production rate for the orders now, they have to massively expand production capacity. C919 is very new to the market.

C919 export confirmed! Overseas customers come to China to inspect the goods, the United States has already purchased, and the total order volume exceeds 1,200 aircraft

Fang Qing's perspective 2024-04-16 16:21 Shaanxi

Since it was put into operation for the first time last year, the development of the domestic large passenger aircraft C919 has been particularly smooth. In just 9 months, it has completed 3,300 hours of commercial flights and performed well in all aspects. This has made my country's aviation industry very confident to bring it to participate in this year's Singapore International Air Show, so that my country's own passenger aircraft will be available to international users. This has also created an expectation for everyone to see when my country's large aircraft will welcome its first foreign user.

1719642630733.png

Vietnam's VietJet Airlines becomes C919 export confirmation customer​

The C919 did not keep everyone waiting for too long this time, because its first confirmed overseas user has already started to promote the introduction of this Chinese aircraft. Vietnam's second largest airline, VietJet Air, released a series of photos, starting with a group photo of several Vietnamese flight attendants standing in the COMAC assembly plant with the Vietnamese flag and the COMAC-painted C919 as the background, followed by photos of the signing ceremony, which officially announced that my country's domestically produced large aircraft has won international recognition and welcomed the first confirmed overseas customer, who came to the COMAC factory to inspect the goods and sign the order.

Although there had been an order from the so-called Brunei Gallop Airlines before, that "airline" founded by Chinese businessmen in Brunei, which did not have any aircraft and had to wait for the arrival of 919 to start operations, was obviously not as credible as VietJet. With the order from the Vietnamese, it also effectively blocked the doubts of "spectators" who suspected that only Chinese people would use 919.

1719642689079.png

The step of 919 towards Vietnam is actually very important. When talking about the export of 919 before, there are always people who say that without the airworthiness certificate of FAA or EASA, 919 cannot go abroad. In fact, the airworthiness certificate is not issued to a certain aircraft model, but to a specific aircraft. For the airworthiness certificate of a single aircraft, countries adopt a mutual recognition system, that is, as long as the country of registration of the aircraft issues an airworthiness certificate to the aircraft, then all participants of the United Nations agency ICAO in the world will regard the aircraft as an airworthy aircraft and can fly or take off and land in their own country.

The certificate issued to C919 or a certain aircraft model is called a type certificate or a type approval certificate. The type certificate is issued by the country where the aircraft is designed and produced, and the approval certificate is issued by the country where the flight is registered. These two certificates determine whether it can enter the market and whether it can be sold to local airlines. For example, C919, with my country's type certificate, can be sold to Chinese airlines. Each aircraft sold to an airline has its own airworthiness certificate, and can then be operated on domestic routes or international routes departing from my country, flying to Japan, the United States, and Vietnam. Regardless of 919

Whether or not there is type approval from these countries, it will be fine as long as my country’s CAAC issues the aircraft’s airworthiness certificate.

1719642737611.png

The export of 919 is not only a product export of my country's aviation industry, but also a standard export.​

However, if you want to sell it to Vietnamese airlines, you must have a type approval certificate issued by the Vietnamese civil aviation authority for the 919. If you want to sell it to American airlines, you must have a type approval certificate issued by the American FAA. Why is the FAA or EASA type certificate so important? It is because in fact, except for a few major aviation industrial countries such as the United States, China, Russia, and Europe, they basically do not have their own complete aircraft airworthiness certification system and mature aircraft identification capabilities. Therefore, citing American and European standards has become the simplest choice. As long as the United States or Europe issues a type license, we will directly issue our own type approval certificate and sell it to our airlines.

In the past, our aviation certification system and aviation standards could not have such credibility, so we had to specifically seek endorsement from the United States and Europe.

In the past, you did not have your own civil aviation industry, so who knows whether your certification standards are reliable or not, and who knows whether your civil aviation industry system is safe or not? The C919 has not obtained type approval from the FAA or EASA, and has not been type certified by the Vietnamese Civil Aviation Authority in Vietnam (Vietnam also lacks the ability), but it can be sold to Vietnamese airlines. This shows that the Vietnamese actually recognize our certification standards and believe that CAAC is a reliable civil aviation authority at the same level as the FAA in the United States and EASA in Europe.

1719642789227.png

Therefore, the export of C919 is not only the export of my country's civil aviation products, but also the export of my country's civil aviation standards. This represents that the entire aviation industry system and standards of my country's aviation industry, from design to manufacturing to finalization and certification, have been recognized by other countries. This is actually more important than the export of C919 products, because it will save a lot of trouble for the export of my country's continuously updated C929, C939 and other passenger aircraft in the future, just like after the standards of the United States and Europe are recognized, the subsequent new aircraft become simpler.

Being able to make our own standards known to the world is, of course, much more powerful than having our products known to the world. This actually represents the highest recognition of a country's aviation industry. When Americans and Europeans were strictly controlling our model approval, casting a shadow on the export of the 919, we opened up a more difficult but more permanent route, exporting our civil aviation standards first, allowing other countries to directly recognize our civil aviation certification standards, and making CAAC an organization like the FAA and EASA. COMAC naturally has a status similar to that of Boeing and Airbus.

1719642848915.png

User signing is just a good start, but there is still a long way to go​

Of course, this is just a start for COMAC. Selling the aircraft is actually just the simplest first step in the export of civil aircraft. After that, there is the construction of a global spare parts warehouse, the construction of a maintenance and guarantee system, and even the construction of a second-hand aircraft utilization system. The release rate and total operating costs in long-term operation are the foundation for an aircraft to thrive in the market. Airbus users can find a replacement for the radome in any country in the world if it is damaged by a bird strike, but the 919 can only fly back to China or wait for COMAC to ship it from Shanghai, which greatly affects user evaluation. In the past, Russia's civil aviation industry failed on this point.

By the way, although Vietjet is the first confirmed overseas user of C919, it is not the first overseas company to purchase C919. The first overseas company to place a confirmed order for C919 actually came from the United States, namely the famous GE Capital. As the aviation finance department of General Electric of the United States, it signed an order for 20 aircraft before C919 obtained certification or even before the certification test flight began, which fully reflects the essence that capital has no borders and goes wherever there is money to be made. Of course, GE Capital does not actually operate the aircraft, it just leases the purchased aircraft to various airlines and then collects rent to make money.

Last edited:

Viet

Elite Member
Jun 18, 2012
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
The below article says Vietnam's VietJet Airlines has purchased some C919. But, COMAC can't keep up the production rate for the orders now, they have to massively expand production capacity. C919 is very new to the market.

C919 export confirmed! Overseas customers come to China to inspect the goods, the United States has already purchased, and the total order volume exceeds 1,200 aircraft

Fang Qing's perspective 2024-04-16 16:21 Shaanxi

Since it was put into operation for the first time last year, the development of the domestic large passenger aircraft C919 has been particularly smooth. In just 9 months, it has completed 3,300 hours of commercial flights and performed well in all aspects. This has made my country's aviation industry very confident to bring it to participate in this year's Singapore International Air Show, so that my country's own passenger aircraft will be available to international users. This has also created an expectation for everyone to see when my country's large aircraft will welcome its first foreign user.

View attachment 51778

Vietnam's VietJet Airlines becomes C919 export confirmation customer​

The C919 did not keep everyone waiting for too long this time, because its first confirmed overseas user has already started to promote the introduction of this Chinese aircraft. Vietnam's second largest airline, VietJet Air, released a series of photos, starting with a group photo of several Vietnamese flight attendants standing in the COMAC assembly plant with the Vietnamese flag and the COMAC-painted C919 as the background, followed by photos of the signing ceremony, which officially announced that my country's domestically produced large aircraft has won international recognition and welcomed the first confirmed overseas customer, who came to the COMAC factory to inspect the goods and sign the order.

Although there had been an order from the so-called Brunei Gallop Airlines before, that "airline" founded by Chinese businessmen in Brunei, which did not have any aircraft and had to wait for the arrival of 919 to start operations, was obviously not as credible as VietJet. With the order from the Vietnamese, it also effectively blocked the doubts of "spectators" who suspected that only Chinese people would use 919.

View attachment 51779

The step of 919 towards Vietnam is actually very important. When talking about the export of 919 before, there are always people who say that without the airworthiness certificate of FAA or EASA, 919 cannot go abroad. In fact, the airworthiness certificate is not issued to a certain aircraft model, but to a specific aircraft. For the airworthiness certificate of a single aircraft, countries adopt a mutual recognition system, that is, as long as the country of registration of the aircraft issues an airworthiness certificate to the aircraft, then all participants of the United Nations agency ICAO in the world will regard the aircraft as an airworthy aircraft and can fly or take off and land in their own country.

The certificate issued to C919 or a certain aircraft model is called a type certificate or a type approval certificate. The type certificate is issued by the country where the aircraft is designed and produced, and the approval certificate is issued by the country where the flight is registered. These two certificates determine whether it can enter the market and whether it can be sold to local airlines. For example, C919, with my country's type certificate, can be sold to Chinese airlines. Each aircraft sold to an airline has its own airworthiness certificate, and can then be operated on domestic routes or international routes departing from my country, flying to Japan, the United States, and Vietnam. Regardless of 919

Whether or not there is type approval from these countries, it will be fine as long as my country’s CAAC issues the aircraft’s airworthiness certificate.

View attachment 51780

The export of 919 is not only a product export of my country's aviation industry, but also a standard export.​

However, if you want to sell it to Vietnamese airlines, you must have a type approval certificate issued by the Vietnamese civil aviation authority for the 919. If you want to sell it to American airlines, you must have a type approval certificate issued by the American FAA. Why is the FAA or EASA type certificate so important? It is because in fact, except for a few major aviation industrial countries such as the United States, China, Russia, and Europe, they basically do not have their own complete aircraft airworthiness certification system and mature aircraft identification capabilities. Therefore, citing American and European standards has become the simplest choice. As long as the United States or Europe issues a type license, we will directly issue our own type approval certificate and sell it to our airlines.

In the past, our aviation certification system and aviation standards could not have such credibility, so we had to specifically seek endorsement from the United States and Europe.

In the past, you did not have your own civil aviation industry, so who knows whether your certification standards are reliable or not, and who knows whether your civil aviation industry system is safe or not? The C919 has not obtained type approval from the FAA or EASA, and has not been type certified by the Vietnamese Civil Aviation Authority in Vietnam (Vietnam also lacks the ability), but it can be sold to Vietnamese airlines. This shows that the Vietnamese actually recognize our certification standards and believe that CAAC is a reliable civil aviation authority at the same level as the FAA in the United States and EASA in Europe.

View attachment 51781

Therefore, the export of C919 is not only the export of my country's civil aviation products, but also the export of my country's civil aviation standards. This represents that the entire aviation industry system and standards of my country's aviation industry, from design to manufacturing to finalization and certification, have been recognized by other countries. This is actually more important than the export of C919 products, because it will save a lot of trouble for the export of my country's continuously updated C929, C939 and other passenger aircraft in the future, just like after the standards of the United States and Europe are recognized, the subsequent new aircraft become simpler.

Being able to make our own standards known to the world is, of course, much more powerful than having our products known to the world. This actually represents the highest recognition of a country's aviation industry. When Americans and Europeans were strictly controlling our model approval, casting a shadow on the export of the 919, we opened up a more difficult but more permanent route, exporting our civil aviation standards first, allowing other countries to directly recognize our civil aviation certification standards, and making CAAC an organization like the FAA and EASA. COMAC naturally has a status similar to that of Boeing and Airbus.

View attachment 51782

User signing is just a good start, but there is still a long way to go​

Of course, this is just a start for COMAC. Selling the aircraft is actually just the simplest first step in the export of civil aircraft. After that, there is the construction of a global spare parts warehouse, the construction of a maintenance and guarantee system, and even the construction of a second-hand aircraft utilization system. The release rate and total operating costs in long-term operation are the foundation for an aircraft to thrive in the market. Airbus users can find a replacement for the radome in any country in the world if it is damaged by a bird strike, but the 919 can only fly back to China or wait for COMAC to ship it from Shanghai, which greatly affects user evaluation. In the past, Russia's civil aviation industry failed on this point.

By the way, although Vietjet is the first confirmed overseas user of C919, it is not the first overseas company to purchase C919. The first overseas company to place a confirmed order for C919 actually came from the United States, namely the famous GE Capital. As the aviation finance department of General Electric of the United States, it signed an order for 20 aircraft before C919 obtained certification or even before the certification test flight began, which fully reflects the essence that capital has no borders and goes wherever there is money to be made. Of course, GE Capital does not actually operate the aircraft, it just leases the purchased aircraft to various airlines and then collects rent to make money.
VJ wants to buy 200 airplanes from Boeing. I think the company wants to buy some to test chinese planes.
Made in China cars or planes or anything China is a hot potato. people in Vietnam keep low profile.

Users who are viewing this thread