VL-SRSAM: Indian Navy's newest SAM with a range of over 80 km

India has been ridiculously smart in fully adopting the Barak platform - the one place it has not fallen to inter service rivalry and bureaucracy
VL-SRSAM is based on ASTRA AAM, will be a Truck Mounted Variant for IAF.
With a VLU for the Indian Navy.

India has been ridiculously smart in fully adopting the Barak platform - the one place it has not fallen to inter service rivalry and bureaucracy
Generally, I find that the Indian Navy's been extremely diligent in protecting its programs and, in turn, sourcing from the right sources on the first go. They didn't try re-inventing the wheel with their MPA needs, and cut straight to the US for the P-8. They opted for the Rafale over the Super Hornet, using the existing maintenance/support overhead already in place.

VL-SRSAM is based on ASTRA AAM, will be a Truck Mounted Variant for IAF.
With a VLU for the Indian Navy.
Thanks for pointing that out- why have two lines then? If license production options exist for the Barak?

Generally, I find that the Indian Navy's been extremely diligent in protecting its programs and, in turn, sourcing from the right sources on the first go. They didn't try re-inventing the wheel with their MPA needs, and cut straight to the US for the P-8. They opted for the Rafale over the Super Hornet, using the existing maintenance/support overhead already in place.
They are the smarter branch in all of the three services in terms of procurement even though they have had some command issues and associated hull losses due to negligence of duties by either personnel or contractors

for starters It is easier to acquire ships than combat aircraft

A ship can only have so many air defense layers. VLSRSAM and Barak-8 is what IN have circled around

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Posts

Back