Tesla offers FREE full self driving for a month for all US Tesla owners (apparently no safe driving requirement test first)

Hamartia Antidote

Elite Member
Reaction score
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
Looks like Tesla is confident enough with FSD 12 to open it to everybody (previously you had to pass a safe driver score requirement before the software could be downloaded)

Elon Musk has mandated Tesla employees to install and demo Full Self-Driving Beta for every customer taking delivery in North America.

Full Self-Driving (FSD) Beta is a level 2 Advanced Driver Assistance System (ADAS) that automates all aspects of driving on city streets and highways, but it requires the driver’s attention at all times – hence why it is still only a level 2 system despite its name.

Tesla’s goal is to improve the system until it can eventually remove the requirement to have the driver’s attention, making it a true self-driving system.

The automaker is currently rolling out version 12 of its FSD Beta system. which has been touted has a major step forward for the system by powering vehicle controls with neural nets.

Tesla sells its Full Self-Driving package for $12,000 or a $200 a month subscription.

The automaker has never revealed the take rate of the package, but some data would point to a lower than 20% take rate in North America. It is likely much lower globally as other markets don’t have access to FSD Beta.

In order to boost the take rate, Elon Musk has informed Tesla employees this morning to install the FSD Beta software on all new cars being delivered and give short test drives to the new buyers.

The CEO wrote in an email to employees:

Going forward, it is mandatory in North America to install and activate FSD V12.3.1 and take customers on a short test ride before handing over the car.
Musk says that he wants more people to realize “FSD actually works”:

Almost no one actually realizes how well (supervised) FSD actually works.
Over the years, Tesla has continuously cut down on the tasks related to delivering vehicles as it often becomes a bottleneck in the automaker’s operations.

It is not rare these days to take delivery of a Tesla vehicle in minutes and Tesla employees would refer you to videos available on the car’s center display in order to inform the new owners of any functionality inside the vehicle.

Requiring a demo drive with every new delivery is going to greatly increase the delivery workload at Tesla stores and delivery centers.

The CEO seems aware as he finished his email on this note:

I know this will slow down the delivery process, but it is nonetheless a hard requirement.
The new initiative also matches Tesla’s referral program incentives. If a new buyer buys a Tesla with a referral code, they get 3 months of free Full Self-Driving package.

Okay I can confirm you don't need to pass any safe tst to get FSD enabled. So anybody in North America with a 2019+ Tesla (or pre-2019 with HW3 upgrade) can use it.

So far it works pretty cool!!

My only issues I have had so far.
1) You need a surprisingly large amount of force on the steering wheel to wrench it away from FSD's control during an emergency. Enough that you wonder if you are going to break some components physically connecting it. I can see dainty women having freak outs pulling on the wheel not being able to disengage it.

2) It cuts corners in turns closer to the curb than is comfortable. As humans we tend to casually turn and don't even have a second thought as to how close we are because after years of driving we just know we are fine. Ask how close we are and we say "I have no idea but it is far enough to not curb the tire...I just turn and I know I'm far enough way". Well this thing goes well inside that comfort turn zone we have all subconsciously created making for many many many uneasy wincing moments. I don't know how close it gets to the curb but it is way way way closer than probably most people would likely go with a car they don't want to seriously f-up.

I think we subconsciously stay wide and do a longer gentler curve turn while FSD does not stay wide and that forces it to cut a sharper shorter closer turn...which is unnerving.

Last edited:

I've been posting Tesla FSD videos for years..and finally they have gotten it good enough to actually let people use it without any pre-test. This is because years and years and years of human handcoding was thrown away a few months ago and substituted with an AI trained by watching videos.

I have to say this strategy made popular by DeepMind of having a computer train itself by watching tons of hours of people playing the game "Go" so it could spank the world champion has paid off

It's just amazing.

I tried FSD on my friend's car, and it's not good.
Plain and simple, I am not a fan. Highway driving is fine, but they need a lot of work before it becomes a reliable mode of transportation something like Uber where you only use it for peak hours especially in Urban areas with less parking spaces

Plain and simple, I am not a fan. Highway driving is fine, but they need a lot of work before it becomes a reliable mode of transportation something like Uber where you only use it for peak hours especially in Urban areas with less parking spaces

You tried version 12.3 (the neural net version..not version 11 which is people coded) which has been made free for everybody just a few days ago?

I find things just as smooth as this guy

TRYING OUT TESLA’s FSD 12.3.3 FOR THE FIRST TIME!!!​

Canada

TESLA FSD V12.3.2.1 OMG!​

Last edited:
You tried version 12.3 (the neural net version..not version 11 which is people coded) which has been made free for everybody just a few days ago?

I find things just a smooth as this guy

TRYING OUT TESLA’s FSD 12.3.3 FOR THE FIRST TIME!!! 😱😱😱

Dk fs tbh

Dk fs tbh

You probably had some version of 11 which wasn't the neural net one. Version 12 was only offered widely a few days ago.

It is completely new. They threw away 100's of thousands of lines of code and just let an AI watch videos. The results are incredible.

19 Times Tesla’s FSD V12 Left Drivers SPEECHLESS!​

I tried it a couple of years ago and it was unbelievably good.

We are still at level 2 of self-driving and Tesla is considered Level 2 (partial-self driving) despite being capable enough to self drive fully autonomously. We maybe able to sleep in the car by the time we reach level 4 or 5.

I tried it a couple of years ago and it was unbelievably good.

We are still at level 2 of self-driving and Tesla is considered Level 2 (partial-self driving) despite being capable enough to self drive fully autonomously. We maybe able to sleep in the car by the time we reach level 4 or 5.

As somebody who has been watching FSD evolve over the years I can happily say we are definitely seeing a light at the end of the tunnel using the AI route in version 12.

Unfortunately (and very sadly) the army of software engineers who had spent endless hours and untold dollars over the last 10 years (yes since 2014!!) building versions 1 through 11 have simply not been able to do the job. It was close but more of a perpetual 2 steps forward and 1 step back scenario. They simply could not cover all the insane number of rules needed to drive a car smoothly using just cameras. Tesla has certainly taken plenty of flak by naysayers saying it is simply impossible...to the point even not long ago some of the biggest proponents of FSD were having second thoughts believing the critics may indeed be correct.

However the release of V12 created by AI has caused jaws to simply drop. With a snap of this genie's finger Aladdin's magic carpet was created...a task found to be beyond the capacity of man.

Previously FSD software releases required people's driving habits to be monitored to make sure they have the reflexes/wits to take control in an emergency. The AI has done such a good job at reducing emergencies this test was waived.

The even crazier thing is they have told the genie not to stop and to keep making improvements. They then grab a dump of its work every 2 or so weeks. So it just gets better and better.

A few days ago I mentioned the car in version 12.3.2 was cutting corners too close (many were complaining). Somebody probably told it to rewrite the code to give it more distance. I get a new version (12.3.3) yesterday and the problem seems solved. It's insane.

Last edited:
As somebody who has been watching FSD evolve over the years I can happily say we are definitely seeing a light at the end of the tunnel using the AI route in version 12.

Unfortunately (and very sadly) the army of software engineers who had spent endless hours and untold dollars over the last 10 years (yes since 2014!!) building versions 1 through 11 have simply not been able to do the job. It was close but more of a perpetual 2 steps forward and 1 step back scenario. They simply could not cover all the insane number of rules needed to drive a car smoothly using just cameras. Tesla has certainly taken plenty of flak by naysayers saying it is simply impossible...to the point even not long ago some of the biggest proponents of FSD were having second thoughts believing the critics may indeed be correct.

However the release of V12 created by AI has caused jaws to simply drop. With a snap of this genie's finger Aladdin's magic carpet was created...a task found to be beyond the capacity of man.

Previously FSD software releases required people's driving habits to be monitored to make sure they have the reflexes/wits to take control in an emergency. The AI has done such a good job at reducing emergencies this test was waived.

The even crazier thing is they have told the genie not to stop and to keep making improvements. They then grab a dump of its work every 2 or so weeks. So it just gets better and better. It's insane.
True, I have driven it myself but the fact is, Tesla will remain level 2 of autonomous driving unless drastic changes are made in the future and that is subject to local laws and millions of miles of driving tests.

Tesla is probably the only reliable autonomous car available in the market but their ratings are deliberately lower than its true potential.

So I still use FSD every day!
No crashes...yet

Oh boy...previously Tesla was having people pay $12,000 to have the FSD feature.

They have now knocked it down to $99/month...which if extrapolated to the $12,000 people means they prepaid for the next 10 years. 😠

DARPA unmanned vehicle Grand Challenge contestant (3 years in a row) takes Tesla FSD v12 for a spin

A Unique Perspective on Tesla FSD V12.3.3​

Users who are viewing this thread

Country Watch Latest

Back