JF-17 - Updates, News & Discussion

If JF17 PFX…is a thing…
…my guess would be a future version with WS19 engine rather than RD93(assuming WS19 has demonstrated it’s reliability and is significantly more powerful by that future time).

With the WS19…maybe a slightly larger body of the aircraft to make full use of extra thrust of WS19…along with upgraded avionics(like liquid cooled AESA with more TRMs)
…and perhaps more focus on integrating locally produced munitions.
I'm going to provide you with two images to think about.
1.jpg
2.jpg
This is a screenshot of Chief Designer Huang's speech at the China Aviation Propulsion Technology Forum 2022.
As a side note: the WS19 has been fitted to the J35 and is being scaled up for production.

I doubt the Chinese would want it…so it would go similar route to a JF17…as in PAF acquiring it to replace older aircrafts(which I assume would be F16s at the time).
What makes you think that?

PLAAF has always disliked light fighters, they favor heavy. Among the PLAAF's active fighters, the J10 series is among the lowest configurations, except for a handful of older fighters that are already in the decommissioning process. If it were not for economic factors, the PLAAF would not want the J10.

This factor also affects the J31, which the PLAAF does not like, and which has no advantages over the J20 and is not much cheaper than the J20. Without orders from PLAAF, the J31 has never been able to start production on a large scale. the amount of orders from PAF is obviously not enough to start the production line.

However, I mentioned an idea before. If the JF-17B was upgraded to a 5th generation stealth two-seater version, it would definitely sell. There are no similar products or plans in the world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Country Watch Latest

Back