Bangladesh Air Force

Perhaps I will talk about it later. Btw, BD doesn't have plenty of SHORAD. We only have four batteries of FM-90.

Lots of exmaple. Including the interceptor missile themselves.

one of them, Singapore bought 2x batteries of SAMP/T with 200x ASTER 30 interceptors for roughly $800 millions.

FM-90s aren’t that great at their job. They’re obsolete by modern standards and can easily be overwhelmed. Really the only effective procurement imo was those 155mm artillery systems from Serbia and kornet/ Métis procurements. Mbt 2000s powerpack overheats and underperforms in bd and still didn’t get upgraded armor engine pack package that Pakistan offered. The light vt5 tanks are base without many of the active and passive protection package and the SRSAM fm90 aren’t great either. Also what happened to assault rifle upgrade program? We are still on bd 08

FM-90s aren’t that great at their job. They’re obsolete by modern standards and can easily be overwhelmed. Really the only effective procurement imo was those 155mm artillery systems from Serbia and kornet/ Métis procurements. Mbt 2000s powerpack overheats and underperforms in bd and still didn’t get upgraded armor engine pack package that Pakistan offered. The light vt5 tanks are base without many of the active and passive protection package and the SRSAM fm90 aren’t great either. Also what happened to assault rifle upgrade program? We are still on bd 08

New generation assault rifle program i cancelled.

We seems to have ordered Turkish HISAR O already.

VT-5 is fine. I mean it would've been better if we have gotten APS (active protection system) and Passive composite armor. (These are kind of overrated) Still, it is a capable platform in its current form.

Last edited:
Lots of exmaple. Including the interceptor missile themselves.

one of them, Singapore bought 2x batteries of SAMP/T with 200x ASTER 30 interceptors for roughly $800 millions.

I do not think that is reliable.

Each Aster 30 is priced at 2 million US dollars and so that would be 200 million US dollars for each batter of radars, fire control and launchers according to your link.

Every website, apart from that one you linked, I have seen lists the price of SAMP/T minus missiles at 500 million US dollars.

" According to one survey of contemporary air defense missiles, the SAMP/T is less expensive at $500 million for a battery and $2 million per Aster-30 missile"

"On the downside, the SAMP/T seems more dependent on external radars to allow it to “see” far enough to exploit its maximum range, and it has a slightly shorter maximum engagement range than the PAC-2"

BD would need to buy either additional search radars or AWACs(only Swedish GlobalEye at 400-450 million US dollars per plane is suitable and realistic) here to utilise the full range of the Aster-30 missile. Bit of a strange system if you ask me.

I would really like over this decade for BD to build up a SAM network based around Turkish systems like Hisar-0+(MRSAM) and Siper(LRSAM). It can start with the much cheaper Hisar-O+ and then buy the more expensive Siper at the end of the decade when finances hopefully improve enough.

Turkey would give the quality, reasonable cost effectiveness and also dependability that BD needs.

I think yunus can easily get these jets should Bangladesh asks for them officially but we will have to sign those two deals and also align ourselves to the point where we don’t have any defence cooperation with China.

Also need to consider to what point would it be good for such alliance because america will have sanction power over us and will intervene in almost all of our foreign policy including myanmar and rohynga issue

I don't think in one way taking 32 rusting old F-16s out of the US's hands and they get to make a bit of money out of that at the same time, would mean that BD would have to join the US "alliance".

BD through Yunus can always ask and then see what the US says and if they want anything apart from money in return.

You may be surprised what good political connections can do at times in international affairs.

32 refurbished F-16 Block 50-52 F-16s with AIM-120C and air to ground "smart" munitions would give BAF an instant deterrent against MAF.

I do not think that is reliable.

Each Aster 30 is priced at 2 million US dollars and so that would be 200 million US dollars for each batter of radars, fire control and launchers according to your link.

Every website, apart from that one you linked, I have seen lists the price of SAMP/T minus missiles at 500 million US dollars.

" According to one survey of contemporary air defense missiles, the SAMP/T is less expensive at $500 million for a battery and $2 million per Aster-30 missile"

National interest is even less reliable. SIPRI, the original source cited in the article is a world renowned org. More or less everyone cites them.

Anyway, if you used your head a little more, than you would've realized, $800 millions in 2013 is equivalent to $1080 millions in 2024.

Also no, not anymore. Each ASTER 30 cost around 3 millions today.

In January 2023, the Italian and French Minister of Defense signed with MBDA a 2 billion euros contract for the purchase of 700 Aster missiles.

"On the downside, the SAMP/T seems more dependent on external radars to allow it to “see” far enough to exploit its maximum range, and it has a slightly shorter maximum engagement range than the PAC-2"

BD would need to buy either additional search radars or AWACs(only Swedish GlobalEye at 400-450 million US dollars per plane is suitable and realistic) here to utilise the full range of the Aster-30 missile. Bit of a strange system if you ask me.

Who told you that? Ground fire has 400km range and Kronos Grand has 250km range. More than enough to exploit the full range of Aster 30.

We could definitely get two SAMP/T NG with roughly 200 ASTER 30 B1 NT for approximately $1.1 billion.

National interest is even less reliable. SIPRI, the original source cited in the article is a world renowned org. More or less everyone cites them.

Anyway, if you used your head a little more, than you would've realized, $800 millions in 2013 is equivalent to $1080 millions in 2024.

Also no, not anymore. Each ASTER 30 cost around 3 millions today.

In January 2023, the Italian and French Minister of Defense signed with MBDA a 2 billion euros contract for the purchase of 700 Aster missiles.

Who told you that? Ground fire has 400km range and Kronos Grand has 250km range. More than enough to exploit the full range of Aster 30.

That article you linked is from 2018 and I am just using the data in it. You are just confusing things by putting your own estimate of inflation in and that makes SAMP/T more expensive then anyway.

If Aster 30 cost 3 million US dollars each now, then it makes SAMP/T even more expensive to buy(say as 100 missiles as a minimum number with each battery) would be 300 million US dollars.

That information about range of Arabel radar is in that article I linked. About using Kronos that BD has, yes that would work but can BD afford to redeploy them from their current use to give search data to SAMP/T?

That article you linked is from 2018 and I am just using the data in it. You are just confusing things by putting your own estimate of inflation in and that makes SAMP/T more expensive then anyway.

I am not confusing anything. The deal happened in 2013.🤦‍♂️It doesn't matter if article from 2018.

If Aster 30 cost 3 million US dollars each now, then it makes SAMP/T even more expensive to buy(say as 100 missiles as a minimum number with each battery) would be 300 million US dollars.

That information about range of Arabel radar is in that article I linked. About using Kronos that BD has, yes that would work but can BD afford to redeploy them from their current use to give search data to SAMP/T?

I am not talking about using Kronos Land that BD has. I said, Kronos Grand. It's a different radar.‍🤦‍♂️

Again, 1.1 billions for two batteries is not too expensive. Esp, if we compared to the other option. I.e. patriot.

Again, 1.1 billions for two batteries is not too expensive. Esp, if we compared to the other option. I.e. patriot.

Just leave it as this is not getting anywhere but the chances of BD getting SAMP/T this decade or ever are virtually zero.

When BD gets LRSAM it will be SIPER anyway as it looks like BD has now decided to go Turkish in this area. HISAR-O+ will come first and then SIPER.

Just leave it as this is not getting anywhere but the chances of BD getting SAMP/T this decade or ever are virtually zero.

When BD gets LRSAM it will be SIPER anyway as it looks like BD has now decided to go Turkish in this area. HISAR-O+ will come first and then SIPER.

SIPER doesn't have BMD yet. Which is a big problem. Even when it gets SIPER block 3, I doubt it would multi-role like ASTER 30. Which is also important.

I don't think in one way taking 32 rusting old F-16s out of the US's hands and they get to make a bit of money out of that at the same time, would mean that BD would have to join the US "alliance".

BD through Yunus can always ask and then see what the US says and if they want anything apart from money in return.

You may be surprised what good political connections can do at times in international affairs.

32 refurbished F-16 Block 50-52 F-16s with AIM-120C and air to ground "smart" munitions would give BAF an instant deterrent against MAF.
I am willing to bet GSOMIA and ACSA needs to be signed as prerequisite and that will indeed piss off china. There’s no way around that. China have vested interest in BOB and Hasina lost a great opportunity by not taking Chinese offers on frigates and fighter jets… now China has a better access To BOB through myanmar and us signed ACSA means China will retaliate, atleast financially.

New generation assault rifle program i cancelled.

We seems to have ordered Turkish HISAR O already.

VT-5 is fine. I mean it would've been better if we have gotten APS (active protection system) and Passive composite armor. (These are kind of overrated) Still, it is a capable platform in its current form.
The composite armors are also spaced so I wouldn’t write them off. Also the turret we got is of base version which was disappointing, since turrets are real important in a light tank platform.

Sad about the assault rifle program :(

Yak-130 procurement was also a bad decision.

I am willing to bet GSOMIA and ACSA needs to be signed as prerequisite and that will indeed piss off china. There’s no way around that. China have vested interest in BOB and Hasina lost a great opportunity by not taking Chinese offers on frigates and fighter jets… now China has a better access To BOB through myanmar and us signed ACSA means China will retaliate, atleast financially.

Did Pakistan sign ACSA and GSMOA? Just curious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Pakistan Defence Latest

Back