Bangladesh Socio-Political Crisis 2024

It simply isn't possible to stand against social processes. The Awami League had support, it did not parachute into power. It gave way to two dictatorships, one of which was thinly disguised as a political party in power. That alternative political party also enjoyed the support of people. So both the marquee parties had support.

At the moment, the support for the Awami League is rock-bottom minimum, and there are no signs of recovery. That itself is bad for your constitution-making process, because whether the new constitution that you have proposed is drawn up by a constituent assembly (an elected body), or by the interim government, through consultations, or by a constitutional convention, that I take to mean a gathering of political parties by invitation from the interim government and without election, there will be bias, bias inviting a future autocracy.

Where will any country find a universal formula that defies the ravages of time, the changes in the neighbourhood, the developments in the country's economy and ecology and society?

As a citizen of a neighbouring state, this will be interesting, morbidly interesting, to watch.

You are right that an autocrat/autocracy cannot be deterred per se, you can only hedge the best you can do with what you have regarding the sociopolitical experience of the human species so far and how it legislates, judges and executes authority and fiduciary trust into so few people for the whole.

From my study of it (the social contract to generate optimal public trust and then cohesive sustained social, political and economic development), the answer generally lies in best political/legal theorists of a country to:

1) Have a study of the federalist papers, the checks and balances in the daughter (the constitution of the US), the stress and strain from slavery and related non-citizenship this was put under in grievous unjust adhoc way (and then continued perpetuation at state level after the civil war, regd segregation but whole host of things....again related to social pressure, truth pressure for the longer term into 20th century) and its ability to amend for this to take it on board....what is the core thing of note that forged good metal and have ability to temper well too afterwards.

2) To then (in interest of time to come to some sound conclusions quickly) compare and contrast with why German one (Bismarck's 19th century engineering here, and its relevance on the post WW1 Weimar one) missed some very important checks and balances in contrast and then its grievous lapse from significant pressures post-WW1..... and requirement for total new one post WW2.

There are key ingredients here that are key take aways for everyone in world that realise you need not repeat mistakes.

BD and each country is its own context in the end, but constitutions that have stood test of time for long durations are worth studying as to why....what are the checks and balances of key importance.

I myself have not looked at the BD constitution it must be said.

Here is one calling for completely new constitution:

Basically I am ignorant on how far Bangladesh best legal minds have looked into and discussed what I mention in the US vs Germany comparative format.

i.e Is the current constitution good enough to amend?

I think it is a good move, but the leadership has to be very careful not to set wrong precedents. You know what I mean.

Bad precedents are already being set. Most appointments and recruitments to the administration are being made based on petitioning (tadbir) through apparently influential people connected to powerful members of the CG. This is certainly a recipe for corruption and nepotism and is no different from what occurred under the BNP or AL governments so what exactly was this revolution all about? It is now too late to turn back the clock and say the appointments and recruitments were a mistake and we will change our methods and adopt objective criteria ... The CG has already shown its true colours and it isn't about revolutionary or even reformative change. What reform has happened has been largely cosmetic and wholly superficial.

Last edited:
You are right that an autocrat/autocracy cannot be deterred per se, you can only hedge the best you can do with what you have regarding the sociopolitical experience of the human species so far and how it legislates, judges and executes authority and fiduciary trust into so few people for the whole.

From my study of it (the social contract to generate optimal public trust and then cohesive sustained social, political and economic development), the answer generally lies in best political/legal theorists of a country to:

1) Have a study of the federalist papers, the checks and balances in the daughter (the constitution of the US), the stress and strain from slavery and related non-citizenship this was put under in grievous unjust adhoc way (and then continued perpetuation at state level after the civil war, regd segregation but whole host of things....again related to social pressure, truth pressure for the longer term into 20th century) and its ability to amend for this to take it on board....what is the core thing of note that forged good metal and have ability to temper well too afterwards.

2) To then (in interest of time to come to some sound conclusions quickly) compare and contrast with why German one (Bismarck's 19th century engineering here, and its relevance on the post WW1 Weimar one) missed some very important checks and balances in contrast and then its grievous lapse from significant pressures post-WW1..... and requirement for total new one post WW2.

There are key ingredients here that are key take aways for everyone in world that realise you need not repeat mistakes.

BD and each country is its own context in the end, but constitutions that have stood test of time for long durations are worth studying as to why....what are the checks and balances of key importance.

I myself have not looked at the BD constitution it must be said.

Here is one calling for completely new constitution:

Basically I am ignorant on how far Bangladesh best legal minds have looked into and discussed what I mention in the US vs Germany comparative format.

i.e Is the current constitution good enough to amend?
Totally agree.

People like you are so unaware it is laughable 😂
To whom? Awami supporters like you? 😆
Army refused to intervene to help Hasina. But is happy to intervene to help Care Taker government 😂
Our armed forces knows, it isn't wise to piss off the source of their bread and butter. The general public...🫰
Which is why army is king maker.

As soon as they withdraw support - any government collapses in days because police doesn’t want to fight an armed battle with the army for supremacy.
Applies to every country on this planet...🤌
Army intervention is good if it helps my party but bad if it helps other party 😂

The hypocrisy is mind boggling!
Hmm, why don't organize a protest against this hypocrisy instead of being a keyboard warrior? 🙂

Last edited by a moderator:
To whom? Awami Maggots like you? 😆

Our armed forces knows, it isn't wise to piss off the source of their bread and butter. The general public...🫰

Applies to every country on this planet...🤌

Hmm, why don't organize a protest against this hypocrisy instead of being a keyboard warrior? 🙂

This guy seriously comparing Yunus government with BAL to score a cheap gotcha.

Bad precedents are already being set. Most appointments and recruitments to the administration are being made based on petitioning (tadbir) through apparently influential people connected to powerful members of the CG. This is certainly a recipe for corruption and nepotism and is no different from what occurred under the BNP or AL governments so what exactly was this revolution all about? It is now too late to turn back the clock and say the appointments and recruitments were a mistake and we will change our methods and adopt objective criteria ... The CG has already shown its true colours and it isn't about revolutionary or even reformative change. What reform has happened has been largely cosmetic and wholly superficial.

What a nonsense!

Last edited:
This guy seriously comparing Yunus government with BAL to score a cheap gotcha.
He is just another supporter like awami league secretary Obaidul Kader... 😂

Last edited by a moderator:

It is a shame he is the best Bangladesh can do.

Bangladesh lacks really top academics and scholars.

Number of Oxbridge and Ivy League scholars is tiny. Mainly restricted to Bangladeshi diaspora!

Hope he is not too big headed to seek ideas from true scholars.

@UKBengali

Anyway, cannot go much wrong if it includes:

1. Freedom of speech - don’t delete people’s posts because it hurts your feelings lol

2. Two term - limits for MPs and prime ministers and presidents .

3. PR for parliament

4. 50% threshold for president using preferential voting system.

5. Judges and top civil service heads appointed by parliament for three terms.

6. Barring more than one family member standing for parliament at a time.

7. Government shall not make any laws pertaining to religion. Madrasah and State separation lol

As long as you don't violate forum's rules, and not indulge in off topic posts and name calling - you are free to post whatever you want.

“Name calling”? - well then you should be deleting 99% of your mates’ posts!

The amount of abuse @UKBengali and I get simply for disagreeing with you lot!

Last edited:
“Name calling”? - well then you should be deleting 99% of your mates’ posts!

The amount of abuse @UKBengali and I get simply for disagreeing with you lot!

Use the report button if you are being abused. We edit and delete wherever required.

Also, it doesn't help when you yourself hurl deragoratory terms at others and then cry a victim.

Now, back to the topic.

Totally agree.

This is one more news article with some updates on the issue churning:

Also I found this regarding the earlier uprising against Ershad that members may want to compare and contrast for takeaways with the recent one, @Afif , @LeonBlack08 et al.:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back