Bigger than four city blocks, world’s largest planetarium in Shanghai, China. The ultra-futuristic facility has a submerged theater that evokes a sens

This place is absolutely stunning - looks like one of the wonders of modern human civilization 🧐. This is solid development in China and it can help motivate people to seek career in space sciences and technology. LeGenD approves. 👍
Thank you, a couple of days age I posted Shanghai's world biggest indoor ski resort, someone jumped out and accused it of wasting of money, and then I posted world biggest library in Beijing and some hater soon appeared saying it a waste of money, in foreign haters eyes, everything in China is a waste of money.

Thank you, a couple of days age I posted Shanghai's world biggest indoor ski resort, someone jumped out and accused it of wasting of money, and then I posted world biggest library in Beijing and some hater soon appeared saying it a waste of money, in foreign haters eyes, everything in China is a waste of money.
You're welcome. I am an advocate of peace, growth, and prosperity on a personal level and I have always appreciated projects having public value around the world. I have conducted extensive research on the topic of addressing socioeconomic challenges and sustainable development. I have studied Chinese approach to addressing socioeconomic challenges and sustainable development as well. People in my country will not pay heed to my research of-course but I can see China doing the right thing. I respect difference of opinion when I see it but I try to be fair and objective in my take on all themes. I am happy to see you grow.

Looks really cool...

I think this one is super cool, Tibet Plateau is the nearest point to the sky. will be completed this year.

Building commences in Lhasa on world's highest planetarium

Tibet Planetarium, which could open in two years’ time, hopes to welcome over 100,000 guests annually
Alice Davis | Planet Attractions | 24 Jun 2022

457328_124999.jpg

The architectural design for the Tibet Planetarium is inspired by modernity and meteorites CREDIT: XIZANG DAILY

Construction work is underway, albeit at a dizzying altitude, on what will be the world’s highest planetarium.

Located some 3,650 metres (11,975 feet) above sea level in the city of Lhasa, in the Tibet (Xizang) Autonomous Region, the new facility will feature a modern aesthetic and design theme inspired by meteorites.

The Xizang Planetarium is being built on a 11,500 sqm (124,000sq ft) site, and a 1.06-metre (3.5 feet) refracting telescope will be situated on the roof. The telescope is the largest of its kind, according to attraction representatives, and will monitor space activity and be used to calculate the orbits of objects flying through space.

The planetarium and observatory aim to carry out scientific research, and also bring a general science and astronomy education to people in the region, eyeing 100,000 visitors per year after it opens to the public in June 2024. The new attraction and research centre is being promoted as a next step in China’s space observation ability and drive to bring astronomy to more people, and comes on the heels of the opening of the world’s biggest planetarium in Shanghai last year.

"With the highest altitude and a refracting telescope with the world's largest diameter, we believe it will become a new landmark, attracting tourists from around the world," Wang Junjie, an official from the Xizang Science and Technology Department, said at the recent groundbreaking ceremony.

I think this one is super cool, Tibet Plateau is the nearest point to the sky. will be completed this year.

Building commences in Lhasa on world's highest planetarium

Tibet Planetarium, which could open in two years’ time, hopes to welcome over 100,000 guests annually
Alice Davis | Planet Attractions | 24 Jun 2022

457328_124999.jpg

The architectural design for the Tibet Planetarium is inspired by modernity and meteorites CREDIT: XIZANG DAILY

Construction work is underway, albeit at a dizzying altitude, on what will be the world’s highest planetarium.

Located some 3,650 metres (11,975 feet) above sea level in the city of Lhasa, in the Tibet (Xizang) Autonomous Region, the new facility will feature a modern aesthetic and design theme inspired by meteorites.

The Xizang Planetarium is being built on a 11,500 sqm (124,000sq ft) site, and a 1.06-metre (3.5 feet) refracting telescope will be situated on the roof. The telescope is the largest of its kind, according to attraction representatives, and will monitor space activity and be used to calculate the orbits of objects flying through space.

The planetarium and observatory aim to carry out scientific research, and also bring a general science and astronomy education to people in the region, eyeing 100,000 visitors per year after it opens to the public in June 2024. The new attraction and research centre is being promoted as a next step in China’s space observation ability and drive to bring astronomy to more people, and comes on the heels of the opening of the world’s biggest planetarium in Shanghai last year.

"With the highest altitude and a refracting telescope with the world's largest diameter, we believe it will become a new landmark, attracting tourists from around the world," Wang Junjie, an official from the Xizang Science and Technology Department, said at the recent groundbreaking ceremony.

Wow, they are even going to build such cool one in small population remote Xizang/Tibet. Maybe, every province should build one.

The current old Tibet Planetarium, not bad as well, still can be used for a while, it's kind of waste of money for a small city like Lhasa which has only 400,000 people to have 2 planetariums.

672701_351449_800_auto_jpg.jpg
In this Dec 14, 2019 photo, elementary school students visit a planetarium in Lhasa, southwest China's Tibet autonomous region. (PHOTO / XINHUA)

调整大小 1656467168928_976.jpg
Covering an area of approximately 8,000 square meters, the planetarium is located in Lhasa economic and technological development zone. The planetarium can help people of all ethnic groups in Tibet learn astronomy.

调整大小 1656467199223_146.jpg
The planetarium, with the highest altitude in the world, is a 'perfect window' for the public to get to know the stars and explore the

调整大小 1656467233433_750.jpg
The planetarium features innovative architecture, exhibition areas with various themes, immersive technologies, and precious collections.

调整大小 1656467251316_845.jpg
hoto shows the algorithm of Tibetan calendar at the Tibet's first planetarium in Lhasa, regional capital of Tibet autonomous region. The planetarium can help people of all ethnic groups in Tibet learn astronomy.

The current old Tibet Planetarium

调整大小 1656467274684_544.jpg
The planetarium features innovative architecture, exhibition areas with various themes, immersive technologies, and precious collections.

调整大小 1656467289798_438.jpg
Photo shows the Cassini Explorer at the Tibet's first planetarium in Lhasa, regional capital of Tibet autonomous region. For more than a decade, NASA’s Cassini spacecraft shared the wonders of Saturn and its family of icy moons—taking us to astounding worlds where methane rivers run to a methane sea and where jets of ice and gas are blasting material into space from a liquid water ocean that might harbor the ingredients for life. Cassini revealed in great detail the true wonders of Saturn, a giant world ruled by raging storms and delicate harmonies of gravity.

调整大小 1656467304138_694.jpg
Photo shows the cosmic puzzle at the Tibet's first planetarium in Lhasa, regional capital of Tibet autonomous region.

The current old Tibet Planetarium

调整大小 1656467322148_590.jpg
It is significant to build a planetarium to popularize astronomical science knowledge and support the education of young people in the field.

调整大小 1656467338514_989.jpg
The planetarium, with the highest altitude in the world, becomes a 'perfect window' for the public to get to know the stars and explore the universe.

调整大小 1656467348564_459.jpg
Photo shows the eight planets at the Tibet's first planetarium in Lhasa, regional capital of Tibet autonomous region.

调整大小 1656467358535_644.jpg
Photo shows the lunar exploration program at the Tibet's first planetarium in Lhasa, regional capital of Tibet autonomous region. The planetarium, with the highest altitude in the world, becomes a 'perfect window' for the public to get to know the stars and explore the universe.

I agree it's kind of waste of money for a small city like Lhasa, which has only 400,000 people, to have 2 planetariums. And Chinesee government has a long tradition of wasting money in ethnic minority regions.

Teacher teach Tibetan students natural science class in Lhasa Planetaium in Tibet

This old planetarium was built in 2019, A world top class new Lhasa planetarium is scheduled to be completed in the end of this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back