China-made Volvo EX30 electric SUV launched, price starts at 27,800 USD​

Reading Time: 4 minutes

Dong Yi Chen

May 19, 2024

News like this to your inbox or phone?​

Weekly summary to your inbox
I want this

Never miss and important news
Get Instant notification once the news is published.
Follow Us

On May 19, Volvo’s pure electric EX30 small SUV is officially launched in China, with a price range of 200,800 – 255,800 yuan (27,800 – 35,400 USD):

• RWD core: 410 km CLTC range
  • RWD long-range plus: 590 km CLTC range
  • RWD long-range ultra: 590 km CLTC range
  • AWD high-performance ultra: 540 km CLTC range
The Volvo EX30 is built based on the SEA platform. The front face resembles the Volvo EX90 with the T-shaped Thor Hammer headlights on both sides and the closed grille design.
The “Volvo Asia Pacific” (沃尔沃亚太) logo on the rear lower right indicates the car’s China-made identity.

It is worth mentioning that the Volvo EX30 is the brand’s smallest SUV model thus far, measuring 4233/1838/1555 mm, and the wheelbase is 2650 mm. From the side, the A, B, and C pillars adopt a blackened design, and the car runs on dual-color five-spoke rims.
The powertrain specs are as follows:
ModelElectric motorBattery
RWD core200 kW (272 hp) / 343 Nm49 kWh lithium iron phosphate
RWD long-range plus200 kW (272 hp) / 343 Nm66 kWh ternary lithium
RWD long-range ultra200 kW (272 hp) / 343 Nm66 kWh ternary lithium
AWD high-performance ultra315 kW (428 hp) / 543 Nm66 kWh ternary lithium
The entire series has a top speed of 180 km/h and the fastest 0 – 100 km/h acceleration time is 3.6 seconds.

The fastest DC charging time is 26 minutes to replenish the battery from 10% to 80%.
The interior is simple, retaining the 12.3-inch vertical central control screen and the air-conditioning outlets have been hidden. The buttons on the three-spoke multi-function steering wheel have been changed to touch controls. There is also a 1.2-meter-long Harman Kardon soundbar that spans across the dashboard.
Volvo advertises that the interior uses environmentally friendly recycled materials such as flax fiber and denim elements, in which 30% of the decorative panels are recyclable plastics and renewable materials.
Additionally, the Volvo EX30 supports level 2 advanced driving assistance functions realized via a front camera, three millimeter-wave radars (five for the high-end models), four ultrasonic radars (eight and 12 for the high-end models), a rear camera (four surround-view cameras for the high-end models), and an interior camera.
The standard trunk volume is 318 L, which can be expanded to 904 L after folding down the rear seats.
Source: Volvo

Yommie

Elite Member
Oct 2, 2013
Country of Origin
Country of Residence

Avatr 012 limited edition is jointly designed with Dior & Fendi artistic director Kim Jones​

Reading Time: 2 minutes

Dong Yi Chen

May 19, 2024

Avatr 12

I want this

Follow Us

On May 19 at Avatr’s Yueji Day event, Avatr announced that its new 012 global limited edition model jointly designed with Dior and Fendi artistic director Kim Jones will enter the market soon. Judging from the naming, the 012 is expected to be based on the Avatr 12.

Yueji Day is an exclusive festival for Avatr car owners.

In the official warm-up video, Kim Jones said that the car he envisioned and currently designing is an extension of his home space: “Whether I drive to work or for leisure, I will see a lot of shadows of my home and will use it.”

At this time, more information about the 012 has not yet been announced.
At the same time, Avatr’s chief design officer Nader Faghihzadeh will still be involved in the joint design work of the 012. Previously, the Avatr 11 has also launched a joint limited edition – Avatr 011, jointly designed by Matthew M. Williams (MMW) – Givenchy’s former creative director, and Nader Faghihzadeh, priced at 600,000 yuan (84,600 USD) and limited to 500 units worldwide.
Positioned as a high-end smart brand, Avatr is a joint venture by Changan, Huawei, and CATL. Currently, the brand has the Avatr 11 and Avatr 12 on the market, and its third vehicle – the Avatr 07, is almost ready to enter the market.

For reference, the Avatr 12 measures 5020/1999/1460 mm, with a 3030 mm wheelbase, priced between 265,800 – 378,800 yuan (37,500 – 53,400 USD). The car features Huawei’s HarmonyOS 4 operating system and ADS 2.0 advanced driving system. So far, over 9,900 units of the Avatr 12 have been sold as of April this year since its launch in November 2023. In 2024, Avatr has set a sales target of 90,000 vehicles, which is 10,000 units less than its 2023 target, and plans to have more than 160 authorized stores across China.
Source: Avatr Weibo, 16888, d1ev

Yommie

Elite Member
Oct 2, 2013
Country of Origin
Country of Residence

Strike at BYD factory in Wuxi: workers seek fair treatment​

Reading Time: 2 minutes

Naveed Rastegar

May 20, 2024

I want this

Follow Us

Last week, a strike occurred at the BYD factory in Wuxi, Jiangsu province, China. Images and short videos circulating online showed a large gathering of employees within the factory compound, with some even lying on the ground, covered by blue sheets placed by the police.

The Reason for the Strike:
According to reports, the main reason for the employees’ discontent was the implementation of a four-shift system and a five-day, eight-hour work schedule. This would result in the loss of overtime pay, leading to a significant reduction in their income.

The BYD factory in Wuxi was previously owned by the American company Johnson Controls. Last year, BYD acquired Johnson Controls’ factories in Chengdu and Wuxi for a price of 15.8 billion yuan (2.19 Billion USD). After the acquisition, both Johnson Controls and BYD issued a joint announcement, promising that employee benefits would remain unchanged and, in some cases, even slightly improved. They also assured that severance pay would be provided to laid-off workers. However, it is reported that BYD did not fulfill these commitments, contributing to dissatisfaction among the employees.
The Overtime Culture:
The employees protested against eliminating overtime, which may seem surprising from an international perspective. While the rest of the world seeks to reduce working hours, Chinese workers are demanding an increase in working time. Why is this the case?

Chinese workers do not necessarily enjoy working overtime; they are compelled to do so due to circumstances. Factories often set basic wages just above the government’s minimum wage to keep labor costs low. To make ends meet, employees accept long hours of overtime work since Chinese labor law requires employers to pay 1.5 times the regular wage for overtime and double the wage for weekend overtime.
The job postings for the BYD factory in Wuxi in the past two months indicated a basic wage of 2,490 yuan (345 USD), which coincides with the minimum wage in Jiangsu province. Stable overtime hours are necessary to earn a monthly income of 5,000 to 6,500 yuan (690 to 897 USD) advertised by intermediaries. In electronics factories, a 10-hour workday is considered the minimum, and some factories even require employees to work 12 to 13 hours per day. By canceling overtime, BYD effectively reduced the maximum monthly income for employees to just over 3,000 yuan, which is seen as a fairly low salary.
Currently, BYD has not responded to this incident, and the reasons for the sudden change in the overtime policy remain unclear. However, reducing overtime is a common strategy employed by many companies to force employees to resign indirectly. If companies initiate layoffs, they are legally obliged to provide severance pay.
Speculators wonder if these actions reflect possible layoffs in the Chinese auto industry. Reports of worker layoffs by Li Auto surfaced today, supporting this case.
Source: LaoWuHongGuan

Yommie

Elite Member
Oct 2, 2013
Country of Origin
Country of Residence

BYD Qin L plug-in hybrid sedan arrived at dealers in China before the launch​

Reading Time: 3 minutes

Denis Bobylev

May 20, 2024

byd qin l dm-i sedan gray side frontBYD Qin L DM-i reached dealers in China

I want this

Follow Us

The BYD Qin L DM-i sedan arrived at dealers in China before the sales start, which was scheduled for May 29. It is a plug-in hybrid mid-size car with a predicted price of 120,000 yuan (16,600 USD). Its electric range reaches 90 km CLTC.

BYD Qin Plus DM-i
We will remind you that Qin is a sedan series under the BYD brand named after the first dynasty of Imperial China. This series currently comprises Qin Plus EV and Qin Plus DM-i models. In Q1 2024, third-combined sales reached 107,489 units. As a result, the Qin Plus became the bestselling car in China. BYD aims to launch a more expensive car in the Qin series. It is the Qin L DM-i. This model has already reached dealers in China.

BYD Qin L DM-i arrived at dealers in China​

BYD Qin L DM-i
BYD officially shared pictures of the Qin L DM-i sedan at the dealership center. This model was spotted in two body colors: gray and white. The Qin L DM-i adopts a distinguishing BYD design language. Its front end has thin LED headlights and a massive grille that refers to the dragon’s mouth. Other features of the sedan are real rear-view mirrors and conventional door handles. From the back, it has a single taillight unit.

BYD Qin L DM-i interior
Inside, it has a three-spoke steering wheel with a small LCD instrument panel behind it. The Qin L DM-i also features a rotatable screen. Its center tunnel adopts a set of physical buttons and a retractable gear shifter called “BYD Heart”. The second row of the BYD Qin L DM-i adopts the armrest, a middle headrest, and ISOFIX interfaces.

BYD Qin L DM-i specs​

BYD Qin L DM-i
The exact dimensions of the BYD Qin L DM-i sedan are 4830/1900/1495 mm with a wheelbase of 2790 mm. For clarity, the Qin Plus sedan has 4765/1837/1495 mm dimensions with a wheelbase of 2718 mm. The increased dimensions of the Qin L DM-i led to hefty interior space.
The powertrain of the BYD Qin L DM-i adopts the fifth generation of BYD’s DM-i plug-in hybrid system. It comprises a 1.5-liter naturally aspirated engine for 74 kW (99 hp) paired with a 160-kW (215 hp) electric motor. This sedan has two LFP battery options supplied by BYD’s subsidiary FinDreams. Its entry-level pack has a capacity of 10.08 kWh, which is good for a 60 km electric range (CLTC). The second variant offers a capacity of 15.87 kWh (90 km CLTC).

BYD Qin L DM-i
The BYD Qin L DM-i will start sales on May 29. Its starting price will be around 120,000 yuan (16,600 USD). For comparison, the BYD Qin Plus DM-i’s price range is 79,800 – 125,800 yuan (11,000 – 17,400 USD).
Source: BYD

Yommie

Elite Member
Oct 2, 2013
Country of Origin
Country of Residence

Stellantis-baked Leapmotor C16 begins reaching dealerships ahead of sales start​

Denis Bobylev

May 20, 2024

leapmotor c16 stellantis purple side frontLeapmotor C16 arrived at dealers across China

I want this

Follow Us

The Stellantis-baked Leapmotor C16 medium-to-large SUV with BEV and EREV powertrain options has started reaching dealerships across China. Previously, this NEV (new energy vehicle) received almost 12,000 preorders 24 hours after pre-sales began. The C16 is expected to sell for less than 200,000 yuan (28,200 USD). It aims to compete with the Aito M7 in China.

Briefly on Leapmotor​

Our regular readers know that Leapmotor is a Chinese brand founded in 2015. Its first model was a small electric roadster. Nowadays, its model line comprises four cars: C10 and C11 crossovers, C01 sedan, and T03 hatchback. Last year, Leapmotor made headlines by signing a strategic cooperation agreement with Stellantis, the fourth-biggest world automaker. They have jointly created a joint venture, Leapmotor International. Leapmotor aims to sell its cars in Europe, South America, and South-East Asia.
In Aril 2024, the latest Leapmotor model was exposed by the Chinese Ministry of Industry and Information Technology (MIIT). It appeared to be the C16 crossover that aims to get the market share of Huawei’s Aito M7, which suddenly shot to almost 70,000 units sold in Q1 2023.

Leapmotor C16 arrived at dealers in China​

The first batch of mass-produced Leapmotor C16 display models arrived at dealers across China. Its exterior styling aligns with the variant unveiled at the Beijing Auto Show. It is a middle-to-large crossover with a minimalistic design. Its front end has smoked headlights joined by an LED strip, a closed bumper, and a trapeze-shaped air intake. From the back, the C16 adopts a single taillight strip. Other features are retractable door handles and a LiDAR sensor on the roof.
From the side, the Leapmotor C16 adopts classic proportions. It also has a flat roofline, a relatively high beltline, and slightly slanted D-pillars. Other features of the C16 crossover are roof racks, a long rear overhang, and R21 wheel options. The Leapmotor C16 arrived at dealers with three body color options: green, purple, and black. Its dimensions are 4915/1905/1770 mm, with a wheelbase of 2825 mm. For clarity, it is 5 mm longer than the Aito M7.
Inside, the Leapmotor C16 has 6 seats in a 2 + 2 + 2 layout. Its interior styling stays in line with the C10 crossover. It has a two-spoke steering wheel with a gear shifter behind it and a thin LCD instrument cluster. The center console of the C16 also has a large 14.6-inch floating screen. The center tunnel has a wireless phone charging pad, two cup holders, and a roomy compartment. Other features of the C16 are hidden air vents and speakers in the front pillars. The audio system of this SUV comprises 21 speakers.

The second row of Leapmotor’s biggest crossover has two independent captain chairs with heating and ventilation functions. Another detail of the C16 is a ceiling-mounted screen. The second-row passengers also have an independent climate control screen and two USB interfaces. The back of the front right seat has a folding table. And the third row has two seats.

Leapmotor C16 powertrain​

The Leapmotor C16 has two powertrain options. The first one is BEV with a single synchronous permanent magnet electric motor (TZ220XY008). Its peak power reaches 215 kW (288 hp). With this e-motor on board, the Leapmotor C16 can speed up to 160 km/h. The EREV variant has a 1.5-liter H15R self-aspirated ICE for 70 kW under the hood. It acts as a generator. It also has a single e-motor for 170 kW (228 hp).
The Leapmotor C16 EREV variant has a 28.4-kWh LFP battery from CALB. According to MIIT filling, it can drive up to 134 km on a single charge. The battery capacity of the EV variant reaches 67 kWh. It is an LFP battery from Zenergy, suitable for 520 km of CLTC range.
The Leapmotor C16 will start sales in June. Its deliveries to customers will begin at the same time. Its starting price will be below 200,000 yuan (28,200 USD). Chinese sources report its EREV variant will start from 155,800 yuan (22,000 USD).
Source: Weibo

Yommie

Elite Member
Oct 2, 2013
Country of Origin
Country of Residence

BYD Seal 06 DM-i spotted without camouflage​

Mark Andrews

May 20, 2024

I want this

Follow Us

Real world pictures of the BYD Seal 06 DM-I have been exposed on the Internet. Utilizing BYD’s new fifth generation plugin hybrid technology the car is expected to launch at the end of this month.

The Seal originally launched as an all-electric car in the Ocean series in 2022. With the Seal 06 DM-I it is a PHEV which is meant be positioned between the Destroyer 05 and Seal DM-I. It comes in considerably smaller than the Seal DM-i but marginally bigger than the all-electric Seal. Length of the Seal 06 DM-I is 4830 mm compared to 4800mm for the fully electric Seal and 4980 mm for the Seal DM-i The wheelbase is however considerably shorter than either at 2790 mm. Width of 1875 mm is the same as the original Seal but narrower than the Seal DM-i. Height however is the same at the other PHEV Seal at 1495 mm but much taller than the EV’s 1460 mm.

Confused, we sure are. Now if you compare all that to the new Qin L which is right now arriving at dealers you’ll find the only dimensions that differs between it at the Seal 06 DM-I is the width which is 15 mm narrower than the Qin L.

Look inside the car and you’ll also see it’s largely the same at the Qin L. There’s an 8.8-inch instrument cluster and a center screen. All models gets six airbags and a mobile phone NFC key. On higher spec models the center screen is 15.6-inches and can rotate along with the car having heating and ventilation for the front seats.

Powertrain again is pretty much the same as with the Qin L. There is a 1.5 litre engine providing 74 kW of power. Electric motor power according to spec level will be either 120 or 160 kW peak power. Similarly the choice of battery pack size is the same at 10.08 and 15.874 kWh. However, when it gets to range this is where things start getting strange. According to Fast Technology the figures are 80 and 120 km (CLTC) respectively for the two packs, however in the Qin L the ranges are meant to be 60 and 90 km respectively.

Currently prices are expected to range between 120,000 and 150,000 yuan. And yes if you hadn’t guessed it that is pretty much the same price as expected for the Qin L.

Editor’s note:​

Would the real Qin L please edge forward. The Seal 06 DM-i seems to be little more than a narrower version of the Qin L and other than name and styling doesn’t have much in common with the actual Seal.
BYD seems to be out of control with the number of different models it has along with the naming of them. There are now three Seal cars but they are all actually different cars on different platforms, linked only by styling. Then there’s the situation with the Sea Lion and Song L which are the same car but with different styling. While the Dynasty series and Ocean series are meant to appeal to different customer groups there just seems to be far too much overlap and confusion.
Source: Fast Technology

Yommie

Elite Member
Oct 2, 2013
Country of Origin
Country of Residence

GWM Tank 800 is a 6-seater in spy shots​

Mark Andrews

May 20, 2024

I want this

Follow Us

Earlier this month we speculated that the forthcoming Tank 800 would be a six or seven seater. A new set of spy shots confirm that it will be a six seater. We previously expected the Tank 800 to launch around the end of the year but with the amount of stories now appearing about the car, it may well be sooner than we thought.

From what we know the Tank 800 will be the most luxurious car yet from Great Wall Motor. A lot of comparisons are being made with the Rolls-Royce Cullinan, most likely propagated by GWM itself. Those comparisons will probably be pretty empty on every front except size.
Again there are a set of camouflaged external pictures. Nothing suggests however that the car is much different to the concept originally shown at the 2021 Shanghai Auto Show. Style wise it is quite similar to a larger version of the Tank 500. Notably the Tank 800 stays with old school style door handles. At the back the light clusters seem to be in the shape of an inverted L.

Inside the Tank 800 it is clearly no Cullinan with just a similar level of luxury as seen in previous Tank models such as the 500. What is news is that it will be the first three row Tank with a 2+2+2 seating arrangement. It’s believed that previous spy shots show a two row version of the Tank 800. Again the spy shots seems to show a brown interior leading us to question whether there are any other options.
Currently it’s believed that the Tank 800 will come with the same powertrain setup at the Tank 700 Hi4-T. This means that the Hi4-T plugin hybrid system is built around a 3.0T V6 engine rather than the 2.0T unit in the remainder of the Tank range. In the Tank 700 Hi4-T the engine is matched with a P2 electric motor giving a combined output of 385 kW and maximum torque of 800 Nm. The car uses a 9-speed automatic gearbox which has been optimized for hybrids. A single front mounted electric motor provides up to 120 kW of power and 400 Nm torque. Meanwhile the longitudinal petrol engine provides 265 kW power and 560 Nm torque. The battery will likely be the same Svolt 37.1 kWh unit as in the Tank 700 Hi4-T.
Undercarriage shots show there is a spare wheel mounted underneath. We also know there is double wishbone suspension both front and rear along with the Tank 800 being equipped with air suspension.

Prices are likely to start at around 500,000 yuan (69,200 USD). It is possible that later an ICE version of the car will arrive but the at launch the Tank 800 will almost certainly get the PHEV treatment.
Source: Autohome

Yommie

Elite Member
Oct 2, 2013
Country of Origin
Country of Residence

Roewe D5X PHEV launches​

Mark Andrews

May 20, 2024

I want this

Follow Us

The Roewe D5X went on sale today (May 20) priced between 119,800 and 146,800 yuan (16,550 – 20,300 USD). Billed as an A+ size class SUV it can be seen as the SUV equivalent of the Roewe D7 sedan. As such it is the first SUV equipped with Roewe’s fourth generation DMH super hybrid system, the D5X is only available as a PHEV. Four different models are available as follows:

Freelance edition119,800 yuan (16,550 USD)
Deluxe edition129,800 yuan (17,960 USD)
Ultimate edition139,800 yuan (19,300 USD)
Tech edition146,800 yuan (20,300 USD)
For a limited period of time there is a 10,000 yuan (1,400 USD) discount for each model for people who pay a 1,000 yuan (150 USD) deposit. Additionally there are six inducements to attract buyers.
The new car measures in at 4700, 1890 and 1664 mm (l/w/h) and rides on a wheelbase of 2765 mm. Depending on version it comes with 19 or 20-inch wheels.

Overall the design is quite clean with the car adapting the new pure and elegant design language. Inspirations is supposedly drawn from classical Chinese architecture. At the front there is an enclosed grille only broken by an air inlet below the bumper. There are hidden door handles on the sides.
Inside the Roewe D5X benefits from suede type material and looks quite smart, and thanks to the panoramic roof is light. There is 24.6-inch dual screen setup incorporating both the instrument screen and infotainment screen. A new Zebra (Banma) intelligent machine interface system, helps blend phone and car navigation allowing one-click sending navigation information to the car. The driver benefits from L2 driving assistance features.
PHEV only the Roewe D5X used the fourth generation of what Roewe refer to as the DMH (dual mode hybrid) super hybrid system. The system can trace its ancestry back to the first generation used in the e550 in 2013. In its latest form it uses a 1.5 liter turbocharged hybrid 15FKE engine which has a maximum power of 110 kW. There is also a front mounted electric motor with maximum power of 153 kW. Acceleration time for 0-100 km/h is 6.9 seconds. All-electric range is said to be 135 km CLTC with a combined range of 1,300 km.

The 15FKE engine used in the fourth generation system uses the Miller cycle and has a 43% thermal efficiency and the PHEV also uses a 21.5 kWh battery pack. During a test earlier this year on Hainan Island the car managed a combined range of 1,621 km with an average fuel consumption of 3.8 l/100 km which is considerably better than the 5.257 l/100 km official CLTC figure. The battery can support up to 6 kW external discharge.
SAIC claim the Roewe D5X has a new generation ultra-high-strength body cage which has the highest proportion of high-strength steel (79%) and ultra-high-strength steel (44%) in its class. The car has completed the extreme safety crash test of the China Automotive Research Institute three times.
Sources: Autohome, Fast Technology

Yommie

Elite Member
Oct 2, 2013
Country of Origin
Country of Residence

Li Auto electric SUV launch postponed as company shifts its strategy​

Denis Bobylev

May 21, 2024

li auto electric suv postponedLi Auto electric crossover spotted during road tests

I want this

Follow Us

Li Auto postponed the market launch of its first all-electric SUV till the first half of 2025. This information was shared by the company CEO and founder, Li Xiang. The delay marks a major strategy shift as Li Mega electric MPV didn’t meet expectations.

Li Auto dives into the harsh EV world​

Our regular readers know that Li Auto is a startup founded in 2015. It is a well-known EREV (Extended Range Electric Vehicle) crossovers manufacturer. However, Li announced the transition into the BEV segment in 2023. At that time, Li planned to launch five fully electric models until 2025. The company representatives said this shift was caused by the rapid development of DC charging tech, which now allows charging 500 km range in 12 minutes.
Li Auto Mega
In March 2024, Li Auto launched its first all-electric model, which appeared to be the Mega minivan. It is a large MPV with dimensions of 5350/1965/1850 mm and a wheelbase of 3300 mm. Its powertrain comprises two e-motors with a combined power of 400 kW (536 hp). The 102.7-kWh ternary NMC battery from CATL supplies power to them. The Mega’s range reaches 710 km.

Initially, the Li Auto Mega was launched with a single trim level for 559,800 yuan (77,350 USD). However, the launch wasn’t successful as Mega’s demand was slower than expected. Previously, Li reported it could sell approximately 8,000 units of this minivan monthly. However, the Mega sold 3,229 units in the first month after the launch and only 1,145 cars in April. As a result, Li Auto revised the estimated sales volume and sliced the price of the Li Mega by 30,000 yuan (4,150 USD).
Li Auto underestimated the harsh EV market. This miscalculation led to a huge strategy shift for the company.

Li Auto postpones launch of electric SUV​

On May 20, Li Auto CEO and founder Li Xiang said during a press conference that the launch of the brand’s first electric crossover is scheduled for the first half of 2025. Previously, this model aimed to start sales this year. Li Xiang explained that this delay is caused by the necessity of installing enough fast charging stations to satisfy the needs of buyers of mid-to-high-end electric SUVs.

Li Auto 5C charging station
Secondly, the estimated sales volume of this electric SUV reached 10,000 units per month. According to Li Xiang, the company needs to install at least 500-600 showcase booths nationwide to increase the sales. Without these two requires executed Li Auto will only increase the number of models without raising the sales volume, Li Xiang said.
Li Auto L6 commercial in China
Meanwhile, Li Auto will focus more on its EREV model line. Li Xiang said the recently launched Li L6 has become a huge success. Moreover, the new pricing strategy has also boosted customer demand for L7, L8, and L9. Li Xiang underlined that the company management is currently satisfied with its sales performance and has no plans to reduce prices in the future.

Briefly on Li Auto electric SUV​

The upcoming Li Auto electric crossover is known by its codename S01. It was spotted in China several times during road tests. Its exterior styling stays in line with the previously launched Li Mega minivan. It has the same sleek body shape and LED strips in the front and rear. Like the Mega, the S01 adopts the 800V architecture that supports 5C charging (5C means the charging power is five times the capacity). This SUV will enter the market in H1 2025. More on this model as we get it.
Source: Autohome, Weibo

Yommie

Elite Member
Oct 2, 2013
Country of Origin
Country of Residence

Geely-baked LEVC L380 opened pre-orders in China for 280 USD​

Denis Bobylev

May 21, 2024

levc l380 minivan side front green

I want this

Follow Us

The LEVC L380 electric minivan (MPV) from Geely Group opened pre-orders with a refundable deposit of 2,000 yuan (280 USD). This 5.3-meter multi-purpose vehicle from the ex-British brand will start sales in China this year. Moreover, it will enter the UK market in the next two years.

LEVC is an abbreviation for London Electric Vehicle Company. It derives from the well-known British London Taxi Company, founded in 1919. This British cab maker was acquired by Geely in 2012 and focused on manufacturing BEV and EREV cars. By 2023, LEVC made up over 50% of all licensed taxis in London. The LEVC model line comprises a single car called TX. Soon, the second model, L380, will enter the Chinese market.

LEVC L380 pre-orders​

On May 21, the LEVC L380 became available for pre-order in China. Chinese buyers can book this minivan for a refundable deposit of just 2,000 yuan (280 USD). These customers will be prioritized after the deliveries start. LEVC will also give the first customers traditional Hainan bracelets as souvenirs. Back to the LEVC L380, its price range wasn’t specified. But LEVC underlined that it can provide a variety of seat layouts, from 3 seats to 8 seats.

Previously, the LEVC L380 started mass production in the LEVC New Energy Automobile Co., Ltd plant in Zhejiang, China. The same manufacturing plant also assembles the LEVC TX cab. During the official ceremony, it was disclosed that the LEVC L380 will enter the Chinese market this year and become available for purchase in the UK in the next two years.

More on LEVC L380​

The LEVC L380 is a large minivan with modern styling. Its front end has a short sleek bonnet, an LED strip, and headlights integrated into the front bumper. In terms of appearance, it slightly reminds the Li Mega MPV. However, the L380 is easily distinguishable by a high beltline and a flat roof. Inside, the LEVC L380 has up to 8 seats with a 2 + 2 + 2 + 2 layout. The second and third rows of seats have independent captain chairs.
The LEVC L380 stands on the SOA platform derived from SEA architecture. It boasts hefty dimensions of 5316/1998/1940 mm with a wheelbase of 3185 mm. The LEVC L380 also has three powertrain options:

• 200-kW electric motor, 170 km/h top speed, 100 kWh ternary NMC battery, 570 km range
  • 200-kW electric motor, 170 km/h top speed, 116 kWh ternary NMC battery, 675 km range
  • 400-kW two electric motors, 180 km/h top speed, 140 kWh NMC battery, 785 km range
Previously, LEVC said the L380 could charge 200 km in 10 minutes. It will require 30 minutes to charge from 10% to 80%. We will carefully track future updates of the L380, so stay tuned!
Source: LEVC

Yommie

Elite Member
Oct 2, 2013
Country of Origin
Country of Residence

Xiaomi SU7 life cycle is not just 200,000 kilometers​

Mark Andrews

May 21, 2024

I want this

Follow Us

Despite it being nearly two months since the Xiaomi SU7 launched barely a day goes by without the car or Xiaomi Auto founder Lei Jun making headlines. It might only be a car in metal but it is a juggernaut in PR, making it the launch of the year for the Chinese auto industry. The car though continues to attract both positive and negative stories in almost equal numbers. One of the latest was due to a misunderstanding about what Lei Jun said in a live broadcast about testing.

On May 18 in the live broadcast Lei Jun mentioned 150,000 to 200,000 kilometers and full life cycle. This was misinterpreted by some netizens to mean that the full product lifecycle of a Xiaomi SU7 was only 150-200,000 km.
Clarification has since come from Xiaomi over the remarks. It seems that Xiaomi is far exceeding the normal level of testing for the industry. Xiaomi claims that the number of SU7 test vehicles is 10 times the industry average and that the test mileage is around two to three times the industry level.

Xiaomi Auto says that the “ten times the investment, seriously build a good car” slogan is not an empty promise. In addition to standard test cars Xiaomi has put into testing a hundred SU7 cars produced in accordance with mass production standards. Typically test cars are from small batch production before mass production starts. These cars will continue to be tested and some will be tested to 150-200,000 km. This is to ensure that that new functions work and that there is more stable software and hardware integration. Xiaomi claim it is very rare in the industry to continue large-scale road testing after the launch of a car.
The Xiaomi SU7 underwent 5.4 million kilometers of testing before the official launch, which has now (May 19) reached nearly 7 million kilometers with a goal or reaching 11 million kilometers. Xiaomi claims that it is working hard everyday to build a car which exceeds industry standards and that it insists on full verification of new functions to ensure that after release it helps the car get better.
Earlier this month Xiaomi delivered the 10,000th SU7 and from next month a second shift will be added at the production plant in order to increase maximum capacity to 20,000 cars a month. So far the car has attracted more than 100,000 orders with wait times currently in the region of 30 weeks for every version meaning production for 2024 is already largely sold out.

There are currently three versions of the SU7 with the cheapest SU7 Standard going for 215,900 yuan (29,900 USD). Both the Standard and the Pro which sells for 245,900 yuan (34,000 USD) are rear wheel drive and have 400V architecture. The range topper is the SU7 Max which goes for 299,900 yuan (41,500 USD) and adds 800V architecture along with an additional motor on the front axle for blistering 2.78 second acceleration.
Source: Fast Technology

Yommie

Elite Member
Oct 2, 2013
Country of Origin
Country of Residence

XPeng sales to get big Q4 boost by new sedans and exports​

Mark Andrews

May 21, 2024

I want this

Follow Us

It had widely been believed that the only new XPeng coming this year was actually the Mona brand, but it seems there is another new sedan this year. Along with news about a new model the XPeng CEO, He Xiaopeng, recently outlined the company’s plans for the year in an earnings call. Also newly published is a teaser picture of the Mona car.

XPeng’s new Mona brand will unveil next month and there is now a new teaser picture of the first car showing it has really distinctive light clusters. We can also see hidden door handles and side cameras. After unveiling next month the launch is due in the third quarter followed by deliveries in the fourth quarter.
New teaser shot of the Mona car (right)
Mona though is not all that is new on the car front with XPeng this year. It seems there will be another EV, a mid-sized sedan as part of the main XPeng brand. Based on XPeng’s latest technology it will reduce manufacturing costs and come with the XNGP intelligent driving system. XPeng believes it will have a significant year-on-year increase in monthly deliveries in the third quarter of this year thanks to both the new sedan and the Mona car. Possibly the new sedan will be a replacement for either the P5 or the P7i.

Hi Xiaopeng is quoted as saying “From the third quarter, we will start a cycle of launching a number of new products with strong styling within the next three years, which will cover the main market segments of the 100,000-400,000 yuan price band, which includes a number of new types of products like the X9 that focus on category innovation.”
October seems to be the key month for XPeng this year with pretty much everything happening around then. He Xiaopeng said in the earnings call that he was looking forward to seeing changes in the second half of the year, especially from October. This seems to be where big changes should start taking place in terms of development, sales, profit margins, cash flow and AI intelligent driving.
An XPeng G6 Performance SUV car at the Guangdong International Circuit, Zhaoqing, China.An XPeng G6 Performance SUV car outside the Guangzhou Opera House, Guangzhou, Guangdong Province, China.
The third quarter should see XPeng’s XNGP intelligent driving system extend from being available in all cities across the country to being available on every road. XPeng also aims by 2025 to cut the intervention rate to a similar level to that currently enjoyed by high-speed NGP.

It seems that XPeng is partly pinning its sales growth aspirations on expanding sales overseas. Plans call for sales in 20 countries including right-hand drive markets. This month XPeng is publishing prices and accepting pre-orders for the G6 in the European market. A right-hand drive version of the G6 should launch in the third quarter with sales in certain right-hand drive markets such as Hong Kong and Australia beginning soon after.

Editor’s note:​

Given that XPeng is currently only predicting second quarter sales in 2024 of 29,000 to 32,000 let’s hope sales really start picking up from October. XPeng has failed to deliver much progress with sales and the product mix doesn’t seem to be delivering the excitement factor that other brands currently are.
Sources: Autohome, Fast Technology

Yommie

Elite Member
Oct 2, 2013
Country of Origin
Country of Residence

Test Drive | BYD Seagull is not only affordable but fun to drive​

Reading Time: 5 minutes

Adrian Leung

May 21, 2024

I want this

Follow Us

BYD’s all-electric 5-door hatchback, the Seagull Honor Edition, is its most affordable EV, starting at 69,800 yuan (9,650 USD). In 2023, the Seagull sold over 280,217 units in China, making it one of BYD’s best sellers. The Seagull is also known as the Dolphin Mini in the international market. Let’s look at the new Honor Edition and see how it performs.

Booking for a test drive
Two days after the BYD Sealion 07 launched, I made an online reservation for a test drive. However, unlike in my previous experience, a BYD representative did not call to confirm the booking. Since I was on a tight schedule, I decided to walk into the showroom and try my luck.

Upon my arrival at the BYD showroom in Zhuhai for the Ocean series, I showed my reservation to the BYD representative. “The new car has not arrived at our showroom yet. Is there another car you would like to test drive?” the BYD rep replied. While I was slightly disappointed that the Sealion 07 was not available for our readers’ request for a test drive, my attention was immediately drawn to the little bright yellow car outside the showroom. It was the BYD Seagull, ready to be explored.
First Impressions
Our test car was the 405km upper trim BYD Seagull Honour Edition, priced at 85,800 yuan (11,850 USD). Looking at the Seagull headlights, I can’t help but think of the Lamborghini Huracan. After all, the former Lamborghini designer Wolfgang Egger designed the Seagull, hence its nickname, ” Lamborghini-mini.” Its dimensions are 4125/ 1770/ 1570 mm, and its wheelbase is 2700 mm.

The Seagull has a large single front windscreen wiper and no rear screen wiper. It also has semi-concealed door handles and a large rear spoiler. All the panels are well aligned.
The Interior
Upon entering the BYD Seagull, I noticed the interior was simple yet fashionable. The design language is reminiscent of the BYD Dolphine. The interior uses a combination of cloth, leather, and hard plastics, which you would expect from an entry-level vehicle.
It has a four-way adjustable steering wheel, which is not found in the more expensive Dolphin. BYD’s signature 10.1-inch rotating center screen is integrated with the DiLink system and can be operated via voice commands. The center console houses essential controls with a wireless charging pad. It supports both Bluetooth and NFC entry.
The seating positions for all four seats are surprisingly good; there is lots of headroom and legroom. The driver’s seat is covered in leather and feels comfortable. The rear seats have decent space for two adults. Compared to the BYD Yuan UP we tested earlier, the Seagull feels smaller and less premium.
The mirror adjustment panel slopes downward towards the driver’s feet, making it very hard to see from a proper seating position. So, make all the required adjustments before you start driving the car.
Storage
There is no frunk; it is a subcompact hatchback, after all. The boot space is small but usable. The rear seats can be folded down for extra storage space. There is no center console storage area.
Behind the Wheel
The FWD Seagull Honor Edition was surprisingly fun to drive on suburban roads. At only 1240 kg, it has 55 kW of power and 135 Nm of torque, which was quick at the traffic lights.
The suspensions provided good cushioning throughout the test drive. The ride quality was well maintained, even on humps and bumps. BYD’s e-Platform 3.0 has strengthened the car’s rigidity. Despite the body roll, the vehicle felt confident when turning corners at higher speeds.
The steering offered precision, and the vehicle remained stable while navigating. However, as found on the BYD Yuan UP, the steering felt too light, a common concern with entry-level EVs.
The visibility was good throughout the car. No noticeable blind spots were found.
The car does 0 – 50 km/h in around 4.9 seconds and has a top speed of 130 km/h. When traveling from 100 km/h to 120 km/h, the acceleration is relatively slow, so do not expect to effortlessly overtake other cars on the highway. When traveling above 100 km/h, the motor noise overwhelms the music from the car stereo.
Battery Range
According to BYD, Seagull has a range of 405 km (CLTC) and a battery capacity of 38.88 kWh. In the real world, this translates to roughly 320 km on a single charge.
Safety Features
The Seagull includes safety features such as six airbags, rear disc brakes, an electronic parking brake, an Electronic Stability Programme (ESP), an Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) with Electronic Brakeforce Distribution (EBD), brake assist, intelligent cruise control, rear parking sensors and cameras, and a remote smart parking assist system.
Conclusion
The BYD Seagull reminded me of my first car, the Daihatsu Charade. It is small, practical, fits four adults, gets you from A to B, and, most importantly, very affordable. What is different from the BYD Seagull is its looks and the level of comfort you get for a very low price. Not to mention how much fun you may have in the little front-wheel drive. Imagine BYD Seagull hot-hatch that resembles the BYD Ocean M Concept we saw at the Beijing Auto Show!
The Seagull may not be made for long road trips, but it is ideal for picking up the kids, buying groceries, and going to work every day. It will make a great second car for the family.

Recommended For You

Yommie

Elite Member
Oct 2, 2013
Country of Origin
Country of Residence

BYD bus with 532 kWh battery may be next London red bus​

Mark Andrews

May 21, 2024

I want this

Follow Us

BYD is believed to be on the verge of winning the competition to replace the New Routemaster bus in London, UK. Today the bus in the running, the BD11, launched at the London Bus Museum.

The new double-decker bus is powered by a 532 kWh Blade battery which should be good enough for a range of around 640 kilometers (400 miles). This should be more than enough given that most London buses reportedly travel between 100 and 200 miles a day. Energy consumption is said to be 0.9 miles per kWh with the battery having a usable capacity of 457 kWh. The battery is built in to the chassis (CTB) which is said to give an 8% weight reduction, increase range and leave more room for passengers.

Go-Ahead Group who operate buses on behalf of Transport for London (TfL) are said to be on the verge of placing an order for 100 of the buses. According to The Sunday Times the cost of each is £400,000 which is about £100,000 cheaper than UK competitors, the BYD buses will be made in China. BYD previously partnered with UK producer Alexander Dennis and last year celebrated the delivery of its 1500th bus in the UK but the partnership has since broken up with both partners going it alone, after the delivery of more than 1,800. BYD however stress that 34% of the components used in the BD11 are sourced from Europe.

The BD11 is 10.9 meters long with a wheelbase of 5.44 meters. Meanwhile width is 2.55 meters and height 4.3 meters. Depending on configuration it can carry up to 90 passengers. It is powered by two 150 kW in wheel motors which help increase cabin space and aid the 8.0 meter turning radius. Charging can be via an optional 500 kW pantograph (overhead) or via the standard charging ports. Like BYD cars it is possible to attach more than one charger at a time to boost charging speed. The pantograph charger can charge the bus from 0-100% in two hours. Single decker and lower provincial double-decker versions of the BD11 are set to follow.

The New Routemaster, also known colloquially as the Boris Bus, were introduced in 2011 and are a double decker diesel hybrid. TfL plans to phase out the buses over the coming years in order to reach its goal of an all-electric bus fleet by 2030. Currently BYD seem in pole position but political pressures may yet mean a U-turn or that the Chinese buses only make up part of the fleet.
Sources: Autocar, City AM, Route One,

Yommie

Elite Member
Oct 2, 2013
Country of Origin
Country of Residence

Chery Fulwin T9 enters market at 17,900 USD in China​

Dong Yi Chen

May 22, 2024

I want this

Follow Us

On May 21, Chery officially launched its Fulwin T9 plug-in hybrid SUV under its Fulwin series, priced between 129,900 – 169,900 yuan (17,900 – 23,500 USD), offered in four trims. The original starting price was 22,000 USD. Before the launch, the car has received more than 45,500 pre-orders.

As a medium-sized SUV, the Fulwin T9 measures 4795/1930/1738 (1741) mm with a 2770 mm wheelbase and is available in 5-seater and 7-seater layouts. The Fulwin T9 can be considered as the plug-in hybrid version of the Chery Tiggo 9.
In terms of appearance, the front face adopts a closed grille design embellished with a combination of straight waterfall banner decoration and a luminous Chery logo. The rear borrows design elements from the Chery Tiggo 9, but the Fulwin English Logo is moved below the taillights. A total of five body colors are available: Floating White, Silent Gray, Dusk Mountain Blue, Starry Night Black, and Smoke Green.

The interior is minimalistic featuring a 15.6-inch floating 2.5K central control screen, a 10.25-inch full LCD instrument panel, and a D-shaped steering wheel, powered by a Qualcomm Snapdragon 8155 chip. Below the central control screen is a rectangular air-conditioning outlet. The center console has a 50W wireless charging panel for mobile phones, a cup holder, and a rotary knob. Both HiCar and CarPlay are supported.
Other configurations include a HUD, a 14-speaker Sony audio system, 256-color ambient lighting, Super ID (fast login with face recognition, voice recognition, or Bluetooth), a driver monitoring system, and an AI voice assistant. Except for the entry-level trim, the entire series comes standard with level 2 advanced assistance driving functions.
In addition, the driver seat supports 6-way adjustment, 4-way lumbar adjustment, massage, ventilation, and heating. The co-pilot seat can lay flat with the press of a button, which also goes for the second and third rows, and can transform into a 2.1㎡ bed. At the same time, the second-row seats can be moved with the press of a button, making it easier to enter and exit the third row.

Power comes from a plug-in hybrid system, including a fifth-generation ACTECO 1.5TGDI hybrid engine and an electric motor, mated to a DHT or 3-speed DHT depending on the trim. The engine has a maximum power of 115 kW (154 hp) and a peak torque of 220 Nm while the electric motor outputs 150 kW (201 hp) and 310 Nm. The 0 – 100 km/h acceleration time is 7 seconds.
Furthermore, its ternary lithium battery from Guoxuan Hi-Tech has a capacity of 19.43 kWh, providing a 120 km CLTC pure electric cruising range and more than 1,400 km official WLTC comprehensive range. It takes 20 minutes to fast charging time 30% to 80%.
In the future, Chery will also launch a version with a 200 km CLTC pure electric range.
Source: Fulwin, DongCheDi, Sohu

Users who are viewing this thread

Pakistan Defence Latest