DRDO and Indian Navy successfully test-fire VL-SRSAM off Odisha coast

DRDO successfully tests VL-SRSAM with a new Ku-Band AESA seeker​

1726214160663.png
The Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) and the Indian Navy successfully tested the Vertical Launched Short Range Surface-to-Air Missile (VL-SRSAM). The test was carried out from the Integrated Test Range (ITR) Chandipur on September 12, 2024, at 1500 IST. The missile was launched from a land-based vertical launcher against a high speed low-flying aerial target. This marks the sixth flight test of VL-SRSAM with the first conducted over three years ago in February 2021. In a press release announcing the success of the test India’s Defence Minister Raksha Mantri Shri Rajnath Singh, praised the teams from the DRDO and Indian Navy for their achievement, stating that “this test reaffirms the reliability and effectiveness of the VL-SRSAM weapon system.”

.The test successfully validated multiple updated elements including, but not limited to, a new proximity fuse and seeker. The missile is a vertically launched version of Indian Air Force’s Astra Mk1 Air-to-Air BVR, modified with a thrust vector control and new electronics. It previously employed the same gimballed active seeker as Astra Mk1, but the missile tested on September 12 features a new Ku-Band AESA seeker. The seeker was tested at Hardware-in-Loop-Simulation tests and successfully demonstrated the detection and tracking of a live target earlier this year.

The new Ku-Band seeker developed by DRDO features 164 Ku-band Transmit and Receive Modules (TRM) packed in a 140mm diameter aperture. It is being produced by Astra Microwave Private Limited (AMP), Hyderabad. AMP is also the manufacturing partner for LRDEs X-Band Uttam AESA radar for Tejas Mk1A featuring 912 X-band TRMs. The instantaneous beam steering provided by the new seeker will help VL-SRSAM to maintain a continuous lock on the target, improving the probability of kill against aircraft and anti-ship missiles.

VL-SRSAM is designed to replace the older series of Barak-1 Point Missile Defence System on Indian Naval Ships and serve as a point defence missile on the Indian Navy’s next-generation series of ships. Cochin Shipyard (CSL) signed a contract with Bharat Electronics for the supply of six sets of X-band Multi-Function Radar (MFR-X) at ₹850 crore ($100 million) on September 11, 2024. MFR-X will act as the fire control radar for VL-SRSAM on the six Next Generation Missile Vessels under construction at CSL.

A 90-degree turn with a higher G-rating, similar to the capabilities observed in the Barak 8 system.
Yes and see how easily it uplifted itself....

DRDO is just killing it ,when it comes to surface to air weapons!

I mean I couldn't be more satisfied with their progress

Akash ng , vlsam , qrsam and the new xrsam

The good thing in this system is when you get better missiles (dual pulse rockets, ramjet, AESA seeker etc), you will also get better SAM system.

In the future I would not be surprised to see the export orders four our SAM systems....
Well we will definitely get the orders !
I just really want to see XRSAM move into production!!
We will achieve almost complete self sufficiency in this sector

In the future I would not be surprised to see the export orders four our SAM systems....

Yes after posting I realized Armenia is already a foreign customer of our SAM.... Would love to see exports of other systems Akash-NG, MR/SR/XR-SAMS...

Yes and see how easily it uplifted itself....
There’s something else I forgot to mention about the VL-SRSAM. Besides the Ku-band AESA seeker, it’s also got a fiber optic gyroscope, which adds another level of precision to the missile’s capabilities. Both of these systems working together make the VL-SRSAM incredibly reliable when it comes to engaging fast-moving threats.

The Ku-band AESA seeker is crucial because it gives the missile the ability to track targets with instantaneous beam steering. Basically, this means the seeker can quickly adjust and follow even the most agile, fast-moving missiles that are trying to evade interception. Since it’s an active seeker, the missile can find and lock onto targets independently, which is a huge advantage when things get chaotic and there’s a lot of electronic interference. So, this seeker ensures the missile doesn’t lose sight of its target, especially when dealing with advanced cruise missiles like the Chinese YJ-18 or YJ-12.

On the other hand, the fiber optic gyroscope makes sure the missile maintains perfect stability and orientation throughout its flight. When the VL-SRSAM is maneuvering at high speeds or making sharp turns to follow a target, the FOG ensures it stays on course without losing balance or accuracy. This stability is very crucial when the missile has to make those last-second adjustments to hit a high-speed, supersonic target that’s trying to evade it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Pakistan Defence Latest

Back