J-31 to be inducted soon| Pilot training reportedly in progress

Not possible J35 will be their sensitive and strategic technology, will face USN F35 in Pacific ocean , there is least chance to we will get J35 for PAF

It's lot easier and faster to make changes in sensitive tech systems and replace with a lesser system than an aircraft with structural changes. So if PAF getting it before 2028-30 than expect a lower spec version of J35 then J31. (This is just one of the assumption, based on your "Not Possible" comment but there are more possibilities like separate production line etc so you could be right).

Not possible J35 will be their sensitive and strategic technology, will face USN F35 in Pacific ocean , there is least chance to we will get J35 for PAF

You don't know that. I predict that PAF will get the J-35. That is my prediction.

China doesn't hold back with Pakistan. We don't only get fighter jets from China. We get much more sensitive tech from China. You are smart enough to fill in the dots.

You don't know that. I predict that PAF will get the J-35. That is my prediction.

China doesn't hold back with Pakistan. We don't only get fighter jets from China. We get much more sensitive tech from China. You are smart enough to fill in the dots.
You have a good point brother 👌

J35 is for navy but J31 a similar aircraft is for airforce, so people are assuming if J35 is close to induction then J31 is also closer and paf will buy it. China will need a medium weight multi role 5th generation, similar to F35.
J-31 and J-35 have structural differences because J-31 is designed to operate from airports and J-35 is designed to operate from aircraft carriers. China will have to develop J-31 separately because J-35 is different. Two different production lines.

J-31 and J-35 have structural differences because J-31 is designed to operate from airports and J-35 is designed to operate from aircraft carriers. China will have to develop J-31 separately because J-35 is different. Two different production lines.
Structural difference are Minor , you can use same production lines for both if number of aircrafts required don't warrant another production line

Interesting news via one of the credible sources ...

via
Interesting since it confirms my scepticism regarding "Pakistan will receive its J-31 as early as mid/late 2025" & also regarding the training ... but I also don't believe that the PLAN will give then -35 soon, they will need them all for their own units & training. But let's wait and see.
Apart from landing gear what else is the difference between J 31 and J 35?

Apart from landing gear what else is the difference between J 31 and J 35?

The biggest visual difference in fact is the single wheel front landing gear without the catapult launch-bar, the smaller wing (and therefore no folding mechanism) and the lack of the arresting hook.

Folding wings, Carrier arrester hook, bigger wingspan, larger tail fins, a raised cockpit and deeper spine for a better pilot downward view as well as a bigger internal fuel capacity.

No, this is wrong since you compare it to the old FC-31. The "new" J-31 - if indeed confirmed under that name - has exactly the same deeper spine but not really for "better pilot downward view as well as a bigger internal fuel capacity" but for aerodynamic reasons. And as far as I know, the cockpit was also not raised! (not even for the J-35).

FC-31 (V2) vs. J-35:

FC-31V2 vs J-35+.jpg
J-31 (?)
1726601130144.png

Last edited:
Yes, I was talking about earlier J-31 prototypes not one which has been derieved from J-35 recently. Source of my info was Chinese military Aviation Blog which I think is considerably reliable source about Chinese military stuff. J-31(v2) is something I am learning just now, is it official designation or you are using it for your sake?

Yes, I was talking about earlier J-31 prototypes not one which has been derieved from J-35 recently. Source of my info was Chinese military Aviation Blog which I think is considerably reliable source about Chinese military stuff. J-31(v2) is something I am learning just now, is it official designation or you are using it for your sake?

In fact I think it is not an official one but commonly used in the social media to differ between the different aircraft ...

1726647809031.jpeg

Folding wings, Carrier arrester hook, bigger wingspan, larger tail fins, a raised cockpit and deeper spine for a better pilot downward view as well as a bigger internal fuel capacity.

Maybe something on metallurgy too?
To better witstand sea salt.

Maybe something on metallurgy too?
To better witstand sea salt.

Well, from FC-31 to J-35 maybe, but I don't think they would build two almost the same structures from different materials only since one is an AF and the other a naval platform. IMO - and the new revised hump behind the canopy is another hint - that SAC want to keep commonality as much as possible and so the J-31 will most likely have the same structure / materials like the J-35 only with a smaller wing and less all other naval related stuff.

Deino,

There was a talk about an air force version of J-35 without folding wing and lighter landing gear ... what's the status of that version?

Users who are viewing this thread

Pakistan Defence Latest

Back