'I could have stayed in power if...': Hasina alleges US sought regime change in Bangladesh

'I could have stayed in power if...': Hasina alleges US sought regime change in Bangladesh​

Hasina's son previously said protests were likely instigated by a foreign intelligence agency

News Desk
August 11, 2024

tribune

Former Bangladeshi Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina, now residing in India, has accused the United States of playing a role in her removal from power.

In a statement quoted by the Economic Times, Hasina claimed she could have remained in office had she been willing to compromise Bangladesh's sovereignty, particularly by surrendering Saint Martin Island and allowing US influence over the Bay of Bengal.

“I resigned so that I did not have to see the procession of dead bodies. They wanted to come to power over the dead bodies of students, but I did not allow it", the ousted Bangladeshi PM said.

"I could have remained in power if I had surrendered the sovereignty of Saint Martin Island and allowed America to hold sway over the Bay of Bengal," Hasina stated, urging her countrymen not to be manipulated by radical elements.

Saint Martin Island, a small 3-square-kilometer landmass in the Bay of Bengal, is situated near the southern tip of Bangladesh.

Hasina expressed deep sorrow over the violence and unrest that followed her resignation on August 5, amid growing student protests against the controversial quota system for government jobs.

The unrest, which included killings, harassment, and vandalism, led to concerns for Hasina’s safety, prompting her to leave Dhaka on a military aircraft. She is currently under protection at an undisclosed location in India.

“My heart cries upon receiving news that many leaders have been killed, workers are being harassed, and their homes are subjected to vandalism and arson. With the grace of almighty Allah, I will return soon".

"Awami League has stood up again and again. I shall forever pray for the future of Bangladesh, the nation which my great father strived for," she said.

Hasina also addressed the ongoing student protests, clarifying that her previous comments were distorted to incite unrest.

"I have never called you Razakars. My words were distorted to incite you. Conspirators have taken advantage of your innocence and used you to destabilize the nation," she said, urging students to view the full context of her statements.

Previously, during a parliamentary session, Hasina accused the US of attempting to orchestrate a regime change in Bangladesh.

Her son, Sajeeb Wazed Joy, echoed these concerns, suggesting that the recent protests were likely instigated by a foreign intelligence agency, though he refrained from explicitly naming the US

The United States has been consistently critical of Bangladesh’s human rights record and electoral processes.

Allah isn't saving Hasina. It is game over.

Tussi tan saale bache ho, tussi tan kuch kita hi ni ajj tak, what about the foreign funding given to radical Islamists in India to fund jihad? what about the Genocide happening right now in Bangladesh? mass conversions in Pakistan? your double standards are visible man, at least fear the one true god before supporting the genocide in his name across the world, God cannot be that cruel.
karma will turn the whole world on its head when Muslims all across the world and that too innocent muslims will be targeted.
If you lot don't stop now, This will not end well for all of you

You can't do shit against Muslims. There are 2 billion of us and we are not wearing bangles.

Take notes on how Muslims and non-Muslims alike stood together during the racist riots in the UK. Hindutvatis like yourself stood with white racists. The civilised people have seen how your side loots and destroys their own country. Barely something to be proud of.

There is a grain of truth in that. US protects murderous leaders who do their bidding.

And topples those that do not.

But her mistake was losing China and not denouncing the ridiculous quota system.

I cannot believe she thought BAL could get away with the ridiculous quota system.

She has no one to blame but her stubbornness and hubris.

Anyway, if any BD leader cedes even an inch to the US - BAL will be back with vengeance.

So, current and future leaders be aware!!

@UKBengali

So, she wasn't murderous ?

Over a period of time Sheikh Haseena Will become Popular like Benazir Bhutto in Exile during
General Musharraf's rule

Hmm… very interesting. :coffee:

I don't accept the idea that the US cares enough to foment regime changes in poor South Asian countries. But the resident community within PDF will surely strike a sympathetic chord for such accusations from former Bangladeshi PM. After all, they fiercely believe that US was responsible for the administration change in Pakistan :unsure:

Tussi tan saale bache ho, tussi tan kuch kita hi ni ajj tak, what about the foreign funding given to radical Islamists in India to fund jihad? what about the Genocide happening right now in Bangladesh? mass conversions in Pakistan? your double standards are visible man, at least fear the one true god before supporting the genocide in his name across the world, God cannot be that cruel.
karma will turn the whole world on its head when Muslims all across the world and that too innocent muslims will be targeted.

Its time for Hindutva to take some good medication. These vile hatefull liars are unwelcome. Two-faced cowards who have nothing better to do than spread false information. How pathetic.

There's no genocide, there're no mass conversions. All fake newj which we do not believe. Find another argument which doesn't hinge on lying Bharti radical Hindu propaganda and victim chimping.

Economic Growth doesn't come from Mob Rule

Good Governance is hard work and Good policies

Do these so called Student Leaders understand How to have Sustainable Economic Growth

They have Only Tool in their Tool box , just Beat up Government Officials

When New Government has to take tough decisions like increasing prices , they will again be on the Road

Hmm… very interesting. :coffee:

I don't accept the idea that the US cares enough to foment regime changes in poor South Asian countries. But the resident community within PDF will surely strike a sympathetic chord for such accusations from former Bangladeshi PM. After all, they fiercely believe that US was responsible for the administration change in Pakistan :unsure:

If not US , then who else wants Saint Martin Island

There is a lot of truth there. Pakistan and Afghanistan are examples.

Secular Bhutto killed.
Communists overthrown in Afghanistan by US backed Taliban.

CIA coup against secular Mujib.
Despite the fact that Mujib and Bhutto were radical Islamists to the core

They will be back, unfortunately, if US gets a base.

Both India and China will join forces to bring BAL back.
If US were to intervene in Bangladesh, India and China might begin cooperating against the US in Bangladesh. However, this power struggle could lead to significant suffering for the people of Bangladesh, similar to how Afghanistan became a battleground during the Cold War between the US/NATO and the Soviet Union.

Genocide lol

Hyperbole makes you look stupid!

UN doesn’t even consider 100s of thousands dead in Palestine as a genocide.

Which current government or politician committing genocide?

Mass murders in Gujarat by Modi didn’t count as genocide!

US also brings in mullahs.

At least China will not fund mullahs.

China has money and BD needs Chinese Yuan more than anything.

That is why Hasina wanted 5 billion US dollars Yuan in soft loan from China which they rejected, probably as they felt Hasina has recently tilted too close to India.

Remember BD can use Yuan for pay for its 15-20 billion US dollars per year in imports from China.

BD does not need to "choose" China as all that Beijing wants is for BD to not get too close to either India or USA.

Current government will have goodwill from China and so unless they get too close to USA, then Chinese economic assistance should be forthcoming.

If US were to intervene in Bangladesh, India and China might begin cooperating against the US in Bangladesh. However, this power struggle could lead to significant suffering for the people of Bangladesh, similar to how Afghanistan became a battleground during the Cold War between the US/NATO and the Soviet Union.

Bangladeshis are a lot more nuanced than Afghans or Paks.

We have to be.

Our ancestors curbed out a nation right through the heart of Hinduvta 🤣

Users who are viewing this thread

Back