‘India is Broken: A People Betrayed' author estimates India needs 200 million jobs

Musings

Administrator
Reaction score
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
In the film 'Shree 420' the character played by Raj Kapoor says he has travelled from Allahabad to Bombay in search of ‘dhandha’. In the film 'Satya' too a character asks, “Kuchh kaam milega?"

Jobs have long been a central preoccupation of Indians and are central to India’s economy, argues Prof Ashoka Mody, senior economist at Princeton University and author of the acclaimed book India Is Broken: A People Betrayed — Independence to Today (2022).

India needs some 200 million jobs, he estimates and points out that in 2019, some 12.5 million Indians had applied for 35,000 jobs in the Railways. Three years down the line, in 2022, the Railways had still not been able to deliver the jobs, he noted in a recent presentation to media outlet The AIDEM. The talk can be accessed here:

India does not invest in human capital and treat its people well — that is the stark diagnosis made by Mody for the paucity of jobs. India’s manufacturing exports in 1948 was higher than Japan, he demonstrates, but in 2022–23 it has fallen behind not only Japan, but also Vietnam and Korea.

Prof Mody is of course not the only economist who has expressed alarm at India’s jobless growth. Between 2014 and 2021, youth unemployment rose from 21.2 per cent to 28.3 per cent, a 33 per cent rise in 7 years — an all-time high.

There are no official data on unemployment since 2011. And a 2019 survey which indicated that India had lost 45 million jobs was ‘rejected’ by the Central government as faulty. Post-pandemic, the situation is believed to have worsened.

While India’s GDP growth has been driven by booms in the low-end, high-technology areas like IT-enabled services, finance, construction and real estate, agriculture remains distressed and the share of manufacturing, which generates jobs, is declining even in an industrialised state like Tamil Nadu.

A key reason for India’s failure to add jobs, Prof Mody points out, is because of its poor record in investing in mass education and human capital. While the numbers have grown, he emphasises, there has been a decline in learning and teaching standards. The required ‘industrial literacy’ and discipline that education imparts has been missing, he explains.

India dropped out of the PISA (Programme for International Student Assessment) in 2012, after faring poorly in the test. The PISA data, however, show that in reading, science and mathematics, school students from Vietnam have been outscoring students from other countries, including those in Europe.

Other surveys also indicate that an overwhelmingly large percentage of students in the 5th grade in India cannot read texts prescribed for the 2nd grade and do not know ‘division’.

There are two Indias, Prof Mody concedes, and refers to the burgeoning half revealed in the glamorous inauguration of the Nita Ambani Cultural Centre in Mumbai and in Adani stocks, which zoomed up on value after Narendra Modi became prime minister in 2014 and, ironically, after the pandemic.

The solution lies—besides ensuring better education, accessible and effective healthcare, and a functional judiciary—in ‘deepening democracy by devolving more economic and financial powers to local bodies, complemented by a strong civil society movement’, he says in his book.

For a large part of India and Indians, poverty and jobs remain the central concerns. On both counts, India has slipped in the last nine years.
Follow us on: Facebook, Twitter, Google News, Instagram

Join our official telegram channel (@nationalherald) and stay updated with the latest headlines

National herald : owner Rahul gandhi and family.
Fun Fact : Rahul Gandhi is on bail for scamming to acquire National herald. 200 cr worth property was acquired for 50 lakh.
So nothing to say about the content? Not happy with the analysis? Logic kicks in - blame the author and the liberals. Dismiss it and go off tangent so we dont have to talk about it?

So nothing to say about the content? Not happy with the analysis? Logic kicks in - blame the author and the liberals. Dismiss it and go off tangent so we dont have to talk about it?
Lol. Worry about your country. India is doing much better than your country or under corrupt cong rule.

India is NEVER going to have enough jobs

These clowns keep comparing themselves to China or USA,, but the world simply isn't going to move their manufacturing units or other business to India in mass, with so many world options

China had a moment in time and it seized that moment

That moment has passed and India is just another option, so indians bang on about some success without stating that they have hundreds of millions of job seekers who will go without

Combine that with caste, religion, communalism etc and it's a disaster waiting to happen

Lol. Worry about your country. India is doing much better than you or under corrupt cong rule.
Im on a Pakistani forum. On the other hand you are permanently sniffing Pakistan underwear on here. Have nothing to say about the topic then dont post my little Indian. Something that hurts - often has the response that you have written.

India is NEVER going to have enough jobs

These clowns keep comparing themselves to China or USA,, but the world simply isn't going to move their manufacturing units or other business to India in mass, with so many world options

China had a moment in time and it seized that moment

That moment has passed and India is just another option, so indians bang on about some success without stating that they have hundreds of millions of job seekers who will go without

Combine that with caste, religion, communalism etc and it's a disaster waiting to happen
India has a decent influx of educated workforce. The problem is jobs. This educated influx will venture out into the world and India will lose the articulation needed for home grown growth. Already happening.

At my place more than 1000 job vacancies are openly available in pvt companies without any takers. Because unemployed people want only Government Jobs or alike jobs without any responsibilities.

In such a case even God can't solve unemployment problem of India.

At my place more than 1000 job vacancies are openly available in pvt companies without any takers. Because unemployed people want only Government Jobs or alike jobs without any responsibilities.

In such a case even God can't solve unemployment problem of India.
Major issue. Why wont they work or want escapism? I dont get it bro - why wont they take the job as a stepping stone

Do you want to discuss what an "analyst" on payroll ( literal payroll here) of PMLN has to say on Imran Khan or vice versa. ?

Do you want to discuss what an "analyst" on payroll ( literal payroll here) of PMLN has to say on Imran Khan or vice versa. ?
I would like you to stick to the topic. Even if it hurts to discuss what hurts. Come on - this thread isnt about Pakistan or Imran Khan.
Funny thing is the gentleman that asked me to put this thread up knew this is the type of response this thread would get. What is the issue and problem to discuss this without lashing out off topic posts?

I would like you to stick to the topic. Even if it hurts to discuss what hurts. Come on - this thread isnt about Pakistan or Imran Khan.
Funny thing is the gentleman that asked me to put this thread up knew this is the type of response this thread would get. What is the issue and problem to discuss this without lashing out off topic posts?
I simply gave an example and asked your opinion about it.
Any way I am out..

Fair enough. Let's talk about it.

Between 2014 and 2021, youth unemployment rose from 21.2 per cent to 28.3 per cent, a 33 per cent rise in 7 years — an all-time high.

First of all what is the source of this claim? Also 2020-2021 was the height of COVID lockdown. I doubt anyone dared going out to get unemployment data.

Go through latest data below.
URL

IMG_9742.jpegIMG_9743.jpeg

World Bank data
IMG_9744.jpeg
So, in short it seems to be decreasing. We may not have to worry much.

I simply gave an example and asked your opinion about it.
Any way I am out..
You are. Look at the topic and discuss. Why look and blame the source? You will get this everywhere - where you have a source politically motivated. If you think the stats and whats wrong then please debate.
My opinion is - is the chaps opinion wrong if so lets point out why.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back