Indian Air Force News & Discussions

In my personal opinion, Gripen is lost case and it's too late now. This was feasible before the Rafale purchase, but I don't think it will happen now. India might opt for the F-5 route and subsequently upgrade its current fleet to the F-5 level. Secondly, a large number of Su-30s and Tejas equipped with Uttam radars should be sufficient to keep the Indian Air Force occupied for a significant period, and the Rafale might be spared.

Regarding SU57, Yes theoretically that could be a very good option but Only Some Indian Officials knows why they refuse SU57 and what are their PRO & CON. Unless we know more its better not to comment on it.

Rafale is the only suitable candidate for MRFA
Given the fact that we already operate 36 Rafale F3R and Navy is getting another 26 Rafale Ms

If we are going to already operate 3 sqds of Rafale and have Maintenence Infrastructure which can support 100 Rafales ,
Then I don't see why we will buy any other 4.5 Gen fighter

The only problem is that We are unlikely to get 114 Rafales in MRFA

IAF would consider itself Lucky if we manage to order 54 Rafale F5s

France lacks the funds to develop GaN AESA radar and is trying to convince other European countries to contribute to the development. The Indian GaN based UTTAM AESA radar was a viable option for Rafales, but due to exorbitant costs required for integration, Indian government is unlikely to accept this proposal of Indian Navy. This is why I believe India might opt for Gripen E with Indian avionics in the MMRCA deal.

India is literally less than 1.5 years away from the possible first flight of the Tejas Mk2 and you think that the MoD or the IAF will be ok with a fighter that is in the exact same weight class as the Tejas Mk2 to be bought as it's MRFA?

As things stand, the MRFA may well be the last imported fighter that the IAF will get. They're not going to settle for the Gripen E when they've already got 36 Rafale F3Rs in service and the infrastructure for 72 Rafales was already paid for in the first contract itself.

Gripen E, despite all that is good about it, is not going to make it. Simply too much of an overlap with the Tejas Mk2, of which IAF plans to induct pretty large numbers.

The pilot was trying to go for a guns kill for bonus points - but in a real fight the WVR ASRAAM would have finished off that Su30MKI without much of the theatrics much earlier into the fight..

The Su-30MKI also has a HMDS with R-73E and in the not so distant future, will have ASRAAMs. The rules of the engagement matter when it comes to DACT. We don't really know them so it's pointless to debate over a 3 second clip or what it indicates.

Asraam and Derby are already fully operational on Su 30 MKI

I sure hope so, though I haven't yet seen an ASRAAM on a Su-30MKI. We know that it will be at some time, since the ASRAAM was given the NG-CCM nomenclature and meant to be integrated fleet wide.

Asraam was initiated in 2019 itself on Su 30

It says that the IAF was looking to integrate ASRAAMs on Su-30MKI. I know that. But I said I have never seen an ASRAAM on a Su-30MKI as yet. Have you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Pakistan Defence Latest

Back