Indian Navy News & Discussions

U214 is a great sub with long endurance, and a large enough size to accommodate sub launched Brahmos , the only problem is German tendency to hold the agreements to ransom at the whims of the government in power.
Saudi's have seen this in case of their follow on Eurofighter Typhoon purchase , where Germans Vetoed a 54 jet order so as to keep the Jewish lobby happy
This order was critical to ensure Typhoon production continues beyond 2030 and the Germans handed over the deal to french Rafale

Well they aren't the only on in race, Navantia group has presented their S80 class sub. Hope the decision is taken quickly, and this time a straight up order of 9 to 12 is given instead of just 6 like Scorpene.

But our idiots know how to bungle up things well.

Navantia has only ever Delivered 1 S80 class sub and that to its Home Country Spain and they had to take the help of General Dynamics to fix all the design flaws discovered mid construction.

HDW has delivered 15 U214 over last 17 years and has 6 under production for Turkey.
These subs will provide an easier learning curve in transitioning the crews from U209 which we currently operate to the U214.

The only problem is that the German's will resist adding VLS Brahmos and we will be stuck with Block III Harpoons .
Our present U209 subs are scheduled to get these missiles during their on going MLU and life extension refit by ThiesenKrupp Marine and Mazagaon Docks

I don't doubt German technology only I'm worried about is their strange and wired policies to backstabbing customers.... if G2G is the solution then why not do it with French for their shorfin barracuda class......
We're not completely delinked from German technology bro...Our kalvari class submarines and upcoming P17A frigates are using MTU supplied diesel engines...
MAN Diesel Engine for Project 17A FFG (1).jpg

Navantia has only ever Delivered 1 S80 class sub and that to its Home Country Spain and they had to take the help of General Dynamics to fix all the design flaws discovered mid construction.

HDW has delivered 15 U214 over last 17 years and has 6 under production for Turkey.
These subs will provide an easier learning curve in transitioning the crews from U209 which we currently operate to the U214.

The only problem is that the German's will resist adding VLS Brahmos and we will be stuck with Block III Harpoons .
Our present U209 subs are scheduled to get these missiles during their on going MLU and life extension refit by ThiesenKrupp Marine and Mazagaon Docks
That's not the only issue, if you have noticed Germany has tried to be US of Europe with India few times.

If that's what they think they are, kick their butts out and get more Scorpene's instead. I know there is an issue with AIP, but there has been an inhouse development.

I think Spain will never be able to bag something like submarine contract from India as even S80 is a great submarine Spanish clout on world stage comes no where close to Germany..... they may win smaller contracts like artillery or such types but big ticket items like submarine India will definitely want to be in German good books than Spain
Its not the issue of clout, but more about what Archie mentioned in the other page.

S80 - only 1 sub has been delivered as of now, while German subs are proven.

That's not the only issue, if you have noticed Germany has tried to be US of Europe with India few times.

If that's what they think they are, kick their butts out and get more Scorpene's instead. I know there is an issue with AIP, but there has been an inhouse development.
You know what

Getting more upgraded Scorpenes is the wiser option .
French have agreed to integrate DRDO Developed AIP system in scorpenes and have offered naval Scalp missile launched from 533mm torpedoes tubes
which though not as capable as the Brahmos, is still far ahead of the Exocet carried by current Scorpenes

Its not the issue of clout, but more about what Archie mentioned in the other page.

S80 - only 1 sub has been delivered as of now, while German subs are proven.
That's actually a very interesting point mentioned by @Archie

Normally navy I have seen doesn't delay that much but don't know why it takes them so long when it comes to submarines..... we have seen delay in scorpeans too.....
I still believe just scrap entire P75 project and approach France for G2G purchase of deadly shortfin barracudas....

IN is working on UUV on AUV programs, and multiple firms are coming up with solutions. Hopefully they induct some soon

Above is a article about UUV program across globe, and Indian efforts.

Two UUV made and on offer to IN

A exciting project below

Users who are viewing this thread

Back