Indian Navy On its Way to a Million Tonne – 50 Ships Under Construction

The quick construction of Indian ships, particularly the P17A frigates, can be attributed to the use of modular integrated construction. In this approach, ships are assembled like a Lego set using pre-planned modules, which significantly reduces build time. Unlike the traditional Russian method, which is more cost-effective and requires less skilled labor but takes longer, MIC is faster, albeit more expensive and reliant on skilled workers. This is the method used by Western countries and China, which explains how China has been able to rapidly produce so many warships.
That means a days of faster warships induction China style has started for India too.... 3rd SSBN coming in just 6 months and now 12 warships in year... this is the speed I always dreamt off.....

That means a days of faster warships induction China style has started for India too.... 3rd SSBN coming in just 6 months and now 12 warships in year... this is the speed I always dreamt off.....
While the Indian Navy’s ability to induct major surface combatants depends on how quickly funds are allocated for capital procurements, it is nonetheless on track to induct these vessels at an unprecedented scale. However, to make life hell for the PLAN in the IOR, the Navy needs a strong fleet of SSNs and AIP-equipped SSKs.

Last edited:
@DDG-80 @silicon0000 @Deino @Circadian Rhythm @MirageBlue @Michael @harpy1
Indian Navy Drop Plans for Integrating DRDO's Experimental AESA Radar on Rafale-M Fighters
The decision comes after assessing that the cost of integrating a new radar system onto the Rafale-M would be prohibitively expensive and could result in further delays to the project.

It appears that France is reluctant to integrate India's UTTAM radar into the Rafale jets, preferring to sell their own radar systems to maximize profits. The Indian-made GaN-based UTTAM AESA radar would have significantly enhanced the Rafale’s capabilities for both the Indian Navy and Air Force. Not only is the UTTAM radar more powerful and resistant to jamming, but with Indian radar and mission computer integration, Rafales would also be capable of deploying a broader range of weapons, including those from India, Israel, and Russia.

Last edited:
The redesign of warships showcased at DefExpo focuses more on stealth, possibly at the expense of systems like the AK-630 CIWS. In my opinion, since these ships can strike targets from 500-800 km away, sacrificing a bit of stealth for one or two CIWS systems would be a fair trade-off.

It looks like the ships are equipped with 16 VLSRSAM cells, which should be sufficient, especially since they aren't likely to be deployed on the frontlines. Their role could include patrolling the Bay of Bengal or blockading Pakistan from a distance of 800 km, or even hunting down enemy merchant fleets.

That said, ships of this size typically have a combat endurance of only about 10 days. That's why I hope we've developed fast turnaround bases in places like the Andaman & Nicobar Islands and Lakshadweep to extend their operational range.

The redesign of warships showcased at DefExpo focuses more on stealth, possibly at the expense of systems like the AK-630 CIWS. In my opinion, since these ships can strike targets from 500-800 km away, sacrificing a bit of stealth for one or two CIWS systems would be a fair trade-off.

It looks like the ships are equipped with 16 VLSRSAM cells, which should be sufficient, especially since they aren't likely to be deployed on the frontlines. Their role could include patrolling the Bay of Bengal or blockading Pakistan from a distance of 800 km, or even hunting down enemy merchant fleets.

That said, ships of this size typically have a combat endurance of only about 10 days. That's why I hope we've developed fast turnaround bases in places like the Andaman & Nicobar Islands and Lakshadweep to extend their operational range.

BEL receives order worth Rs 850 crore for supply of indigenous Multi Function Radar to protect naval ships​

Government owned Bharat Electronics Ltd (BEL) on Wednesday announced that it received orders worth Rs 1,155 crore. This includes an order worth Rs 850 crore from Cochin Shipyard Limited (CSL) for the supply of indigenous Multi Function Radar in X Band, said the company in an exchange filing.

The fully indigenous radar is designed by DRDO and manufactured by BEL. It is capable of detecting, acquiring and tracking airborne targets to provide protection to naval ships.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back