India’s trade with the UAE is nearing $100 billion

DDG-80

SpeedLimited
Reaction score
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
1726059053872.png
India’s trade with the United Arab Emirates (UAE) has grown 7.1 percent per annum after the Comprehensive Economic Partnership Agreement came into force on May 1, 2022. During the period, India’s global trade expanded 3.8 percent. Despite the increase, the nature of trade has barely changed. Oil, gems and jewellery account for nearly half of India’s exports and around 80 percent of imports from the UAE.

I used to wonder what the hoopla is all about

It is an option for Indian exporters to setup operations in UAE to minimize taxes in India. For UAE it is about life after hydrocarbons.

That is one aspect. :)

I keep reading strategic partnership bla bla bla
Believe me -- This is the primary aspect - make money, make money, make money

Money is at the core of value extraction; the other components complement it, creating a sort of entanglement, and the relationship becomes valuable. Now, strategic partnership is broad. It's not just military; the basic definition is one or more parties working together for a common short-term or long-term goal. While the UAE and India have a common economic goal, they will use the relationship to extract value for their short- and long-term objectives. Many have strategic partnerships with others to deny a competitor an advantage.

Think of Nike and Apple and how they have a competitive advantage against their rivals now.

strategicpart_fig1_0.jpg

As a businessman, I view every relationship as transactional in nature; often, goods do not need to exchange hands, and sometimes, sentimental value can give an advantage.

Last edited:
Money is at the core of value extraction; the other components complement it, creating a sort of entanglement, and the relationship becomes valuable. Now, strategic partnership is broad. It's not just military; the basic definition is one or more parties working together for a common short-term or long-term goal. While the UAE and India have a common economic goal, they will use the relationship to extract value for their short- and long-term objectives. Many have strategic partnerships with others to deny a competitor an advantage.

Think of Nike and Apple and how they have a competitive advantage against their rivals now.

strategicpart_fig1_0.jpg

As a businessman, I view every relationship as transactional in nature; often, goods do not need to exchange hands, and sometimes, sentimental value can give an advantage.

There is little in the way of defense, politics, technology or people-people for India and UAE

strategicpart_fig1_0.jpg

I am curious what strategic nature you are alluding to?

In one sense, a big trading partner is a strategic partnership itself

In the medium to long term India could have the UAE by the ball's in a post hydro carbon fuelled world

There is little in the way of defense, politics, technology or people-people for India and UAE
Can't speak on politics or defense but there is substantial people to people contact. Indians are being given preferential treatment to live and work in UAE. Indians are investing and moving to Dubai in significant numbers.

That will be what drives Dubai and UAE's business after oil runs out.

I believe Dubai wants to be to India the equivalent of what Singapore or Hong Kong are to China.

Last edited:
Can't speak on politics or defense but there is substantial people to people contact. Indians are being given preferential treatment to live and work in UAE. Indians are investing and moving to Dubai in significant numbers.

That will be what drives Dubai and UAE's business after oil runs out.

I believe Dubai wants to be to India the equivalent of what Singapore or Hong Kong are to China.
Unlike USA or Canada most Indians in UAE, Dubai are expatriates whose visas can be revoked at any time

Unlike USA or Canada most Indians in UAE, Dubai are expatriates whose visas can be revoked at any time
People to people contact doesn't require citizenship. They can continue to be expats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Pakistan Defence Latest

Back