• English is the official language of this forum. Posts in other languages will receive a warning, except in threads where foreign languages are permitted.

INS Kalvari will receive its indigenous AIP system next year

DDG-80

Banned
Dec 26, 2023
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
Now since this thread is on Kalavari class how much are they comparable to latest upcoming Pakistani hangor class submarines..... especially now after they are getting AIP upgrades and newer additional 3 scorpeans will be more advanced what I assume.... so after this which submarine will be more advanced in South Asia.....
Obviously Kalvari class submarines will be more advanced in South Asia due to following reasons:
1. They're getting fitted with DRDO developed SLCM which can strike at a maximum range of 500 kilometres. ....In future, they might upgrade it's range by few hundred kms more.
2. https://defence.in/threads/indias-d...-torpedoes-for-kalvari-class-submarines.3733/
3. Their sensors and avionics are way better than Chinese ones....

onlinpunit

Dec 11, 2023
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
So will this mean the submarines will ditch the French AIP system and be outfitted with the DRDO one? Or is this for future upgrades and an expanded fleet other than Kalvari/Scorpene.
Currently these submarines are operating without AIP !!!! French did offer their AIP but it's performance was found to be less satisfactory.

Pingle

Banned
Dec 20, 2023
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
So will this mean the submarines will ditch the French AIP system and be outfitted with the DRDO one? Or is this for future upgrades and an expanded fleet other than Kalvari/Scorpene.
It's DRDO now..... I think actually it would have been better to equip 2-3 submarines with original French AIP and rest should have been equipped with DRDO so we could have a real time comparison at sea...... if our own AIP is better then we could have gone with that for our all future subs.....

Waz

Administrator
Sep 14, 2006
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
It's DRDO now..... I think actually it would have been better to equip 2-3 submarines with original French AIP and rest should have been equipped with DRDO so we could have a real time comparison at sea...... if our own AIP is better then we could have gone with that for our all future subs.....

I didn't know there was no AIP, but that was an Indian decision. I took it as soon as the first Scorpene came out they outfitted it with AIP, as that is one of the primary reasons for the purchase of such sub of this class, others being the German 214 export.

Pingle

Banned
Dec 20, 2023
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
I didn't know there was no AIP, but that was an Indian decision. I took it as soon as the first Scorpene came out they outfitted it with AIP, as that is one of the primary reasons for the purchase of such sub of this class, others being the German 214 export.
Even I wasn't initially aware that scorpeans were coming without AIP...... it was actually surprising that Pakistan Agosta submarines were AIP equipped naturally India would go for AIP.....

Waz

Administrator
Sep 14, 2006
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
Even I wasn't initially aware that scorpeans were coming without AIP...... it was actually surprising that Pakistan Agosta submarines were AIP equipped naturally India would go for AIP.....

I don't think many did and just assumed.
The Pakistani ones have been for some quite time. The next generation submarines will have a new system.
This homegrown system will be used for India's next conventional line of subs I presume.

War Lord

Aug 27, 2013
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
You history source is from ISPR's pakistaniyat syllabus .

PNS Gazi was sank days before Khukri went down.

Nope. historians and analysts agree on the fact that PNS Ghazi took down a INS and tried taking down another one.

Then it exploded during a mine laying expedition later on. Your own IN destroyed all evidence they had from their own research into the topic of INS Ghazi years ago.

Says a lot don't you think? 😂

Anyways, stick to the topic, that is the use of old and not so important phosphoric acid fuel cells (PAFCs).

Refer back to post#6 if you need a proper review of what I said earlier: https://defencepk.com/forums/thread...digenous-aip-system-next-year.4207/post-95329

Without doing a basic google/chatgpt search I can tell you that no one else in the world uses PAFC's for their AIP's. 😂

One of the world's quietest subs (Finnish ones) runs on Sterling AIP's. The same Sterling you said above is "noisy".

War Lord

Aug 27, 2013
Country of Origin
Country of Residence

That's how (without the use of AIP) they got caught last time these Scorpenes came within Pakistani EEZ, as mentioned in my posts earlier in the thread.

Their "new AIP" doesn't seem to be much of a upgrade either.

Full breakdown here: https://defencepk.com/forums/thread...digenous-aip-system-next-year.4207/post-95329

Obviously Kalvari class submarines will be more advanced in South Asia due to following reasons:
1. They're getting fitted with DRDO developed SLCM which can strike at a maximum range of 500 kilometres. ....In future, they might upgrade it's range by few hundred kms more.
2. https://defence.in/threads/indias-d...-torpedoes-for-kalvari-class-submarines.3733/
3. Their sensors and avionics are way better than Chinese ones....

1. Subs launching SLCM's will expose their positions especially if they have to surface to launch them. Can these subs launch SLCM's while in the sea/ocean or do they have to surface?

2. Those torps are yet to be made and seeing as how DRDO takes years, if not decades, it'll take time to outfit your subs with those torps...

3. No ways is that true. Chinese have been building subs long before DRDO or India had any such idea.

amuqeetk

Mar 24, 2010
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
i think this is the point that many people are missing. Its a matter of time before india will comeup with technology that will make a severe difference

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 2, 2024
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
That just means that DRDO hasn't found a way to store Hydrogen abroad. No worries though it'll take them time, if they ever venture that way.
It is storing it in solid Sodium Borohydride. Keeps things safe.

Feb 2, 2024
Country of Origin
Country of Residence
1. Subs launching SLCM's will expose their positions especially if they have to surface to launch them. Can these subs launch SLCM's while in the sea/ocean or do they have to surface?
Absolutely! They can launch SLCM from their torpedo tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Posts